Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the OME lift, Heavy in front and Medium in rear. The ride is great but my FJ leans. The Driver's side is lower then the passenger, it looks bad. Is there a fix out there. I need to correct it ASAP, I can't stand it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Toytec makes an inexpensive spacer..... I think its like 1/2 or 3/4". I have heard that if you put one of these on the drivers side it will correct this problem.......Try searching "FJ Lean". I think there are extensive posts on this.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I have the OME lift, Heavy in front and Medium in rear. The ride is great but my FJ leans. The Driver's side is lower then the passenger, it looks bad. Is there a fix out there. I need to correct it ASAP, I can't stand it.
Ome sells a peice for this problem. I think you have two options 5mm and 10mm. I've got this peice on mine also it goes on the mount on the bottom drivers side. I think you will need to break down the shock and spring though if you plan on adding this peice. So, the spacer that others are mentioning may be a easier fix.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I am under the impression that the full OME front comes with two different size springs. One is taller. And that the taller goes on the drivers side.
Are you sure that it was installed correct?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I am under the impression that the full OME front comes with two different size springs. One is taller. And that the taller goes on the drivers side.
The spring isn't taller. There is a trim packer that is installed on the driver side though. 5 or 10mm which corrects this lean. If he wants to do this though He will have to break the spring down which willll suck!!!!!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Nope. The springs are identical

I am VERY surprised that you have the heavies in the front and you can notice a lean. I have that and i don't notice a thing.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
every time i read this i am amazes as I have OME mediums in front and rear both and have never noticed any lean. now i have not measured my front right and front left heights to see if there is a difference...but i have never walked up to my FJ from front and thought...man that thing is leaning and looks like ****!

One question though...are you positive that when they put the front coil overs together with struts that they turned the springs properly and clocked them to match what was done from factory???? I am wondering how much is actually lean from lift and how much is from improper installation with bottom edge of springs being different position...then having the nut on one coil over tightened down further than on other side.

I have ToyTec 3" lift.....Medium front and Medium rear...with their 1/2" billet strut mount bracket replacements for front to ensure a full 3" lift. I could tell no difference in spring height when installing and they were not marked LEFT or RIGHT and there was no mention in instructions from ToyTec. I think there is something else causing the lean.....besides the lift components itself. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
This condition is a well documented fact along the history of Toyotas and FJ's. As suggested above, a search for "fj lean" or "driver's side lean" will surely turn up many threads where this has been discussed.

This becomes apparent in stock trim to aftermarket kits. The condition is due to heavier components that are mounted on the driver's side of the vehicle.

OME does offer a "trim packer" as discussed above, in both 5 and 10 mm. Yes, the front strut will have to be removed and disassembled in order to install the piece. Or, you can opt for an adjustable strut that can be adjusted to remove the "FJ lean".

Otherwise, buy a big dog and make them sit on the passenger side of the vehicle...

·
Registered
130 Posts
My '07 has had a d/s lean from day 1 - 5/8" lower than p/s.

Dealer says its within factory tolerance but would not say (or show) what factory tolerance levels actually are.

I have an OME kit on order (885; 895; N140S; N141) and for around 8 bux added the 5mm "trim packer" in hopes I can at least minimize the lean. Clearly, the time to add this is when you're doing the changeover.

BTW, I'm told that the "trim packer" is available for the front ONLY. Can another member perhaps advise on a suitable fix for the rear - where my "factory lean" is most obvious?

Thanx,

JD

PS: P/N: OME95PF5

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I am VERY surprised that you have the heavies in the front and you can notice a lean. I have that and i don't notice a thing.
I have heavies all around and I don't bother looking for the lean or measuring either side.

I don't want to know. It makes no difference to me.

OP....look for the trim spacer pack thing. My kit didn't come with it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
How long ago were the springs installed? Have they settled?

My Toytec lift was a full inch higher on the driver side until it settled. Now both sides are within 1/8 of an inch of each other.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The spring isn't taller. There is a trim packer that is installed on the driver side though. 5 or 10mm which corrects this lean. If he wants to do this though He will have to break the spring down which willll suck!!!!!
Nope. The springs are identical
cut/paste from my install tread
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-tech/61572-tale-tape-toyteced-tt.html
Only had .25" lean before the lift. Spacer is good for .5". This is why I put the taller spring on the passenger side. It's very level now. If things change I can always switch those springs. I put the taller rear on the driver side. The rears were much closer in size.

Stock front(left) next to OMEs.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
cut/paste from my install tread
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-tech/61572-tale-tape-toyteced-tt.html
Only had .25" lean before the lift. Spacer is good for .5". This is why I put the taller spring on the passenger side. It's very level now. If things change I can always switch those springs. I put the taller rear on the driver side. The rears were much closer in size.

Stock front(left) next to OMEs.
Wow, that is strange (springs of differing heights). When I did my OME lift some months ago, I remember standing the springs up just like you did, but the heights were identical.

I used a 5mm trim packer ring on the driver's side prior to spring installation, and no lean on mine...

·
Registered
279 Posts
same here.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I called ARB today and they guy said to use two 5mm trim packers. He told me to measure from the bottom of the rim to the bottom of the fender on all 4 corners. Then he asked me what springs and shocks I have. So I did this and he told me to add 2 trim packers. He also told me that if I install the ARB winch bumper it will not lean anymore. He went on to say that their FJ they use for shows needed 2 trim packers as well. So I'm going to deal with it for a wile until I get my bumper and then see if I still need to trim. He also said it is very common for all vehicles.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I would take it and have the alignment checked, maybe it is out , sometimes that will let the tire sag inward..and lower one side or the other.

·
Registered
505 Posts
So I called ARB today and they guy said to use two 5mm trim packers. He told me to measure from the bottom of the rim to the bottom of the fender on all 4 corners. Then he asked me what springs and shocks I have. So I did this and he told me to add 2 trim packers. He also told me that if I install the ARB winch bumper it will not lean anymore. He went on to say that their FJ they use for shows needed 2 trim packers as well. So I'm going to deal with it for a wile until I get my bumper and then see if I still need to trim. He also said it is very common for all vehicles.
I don't see a bumper evening it out. Either trying to get you to buy one, or he thinks the front's too high (Misunderstood).

I'd just use a 10mm spacer instead of 2 5mm spacers. Don't know why he suggested that.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I don't see a bumper evening it out. Either trying to get you to buy one, or he thinks the front's too high (Misunderstood).

I'd just use a 10mm spacer instead of 2 5mm spacers. Don't know why he suggested that.
x2, why does adding more weight EVENLY balance out the unbalanced FJ???

What a goob.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.