Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone other than SwissArmy running old school style hubcaps? I really like the look of the orig FJ40 hubcaps, but Swiss advises it is too difficult to make them work on a Cruiser. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
350 Posts
:)Hello FJSteveH:

I myself was contemplating that old school hubcap style of the FJ40 and did quite a bit of research. It really required a customized wheel design, some fabrication and was beyond my capabilities. Next best thing-- I came up with something that pays tribute to that design utilizing the OEM steel wheel along with a great find on ebay. I just happened to score a set of four vintage looking hubs that had similar measurments and dimentsions as the OEM center caps. I made some slight alterations to make them fit by way of my Dremel tool. In keeping with a retro look I had my steel wheels powder coated grey, used chrome lugs and kept my tires "white out" I like'm alot. I'm sure you will be able to come up with something more reminicent of the FJ40 look!

Hope this inspires you!

More pics in my photo album:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
cool look....I have found a set of 16in steelies off of a 4runner.....in negotiations as we speak. I am a tad concerned that they may be 15s by the looks of the picks and the seller just doesn't know what he has. They look an awful lot like grey steelies I had on my 98 Taco ...and they were 15s.....

·
Registered
305 Posts

I myself was contemplating that old school hubcap style of the FJ40 and did quite a bit of research. It really required a customized wheel design, some fabrication and was beyond my capabilities. Next best thing-- I came up with something that pays tribute to that design utilizing the OEM steel wheel along with a great find on ebay. I just happened to score a set of four vintage looking hubs that had similar measurments and dimentsions as the OEM center caps. I made some slight alterations to make them fit by way of my Dremel tool. In keeping with a retro look I had my steel wheels powder coated grey, used chrome lugs and kept my tires "white out" I like'm alot. I'm sure you will be able to come up with something more reminicent of the FJ40 look!

Hope this inspires you!

Looks nice! :clap:

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts

Hope this inspires you!

Those are AWESOME! I looked on ebay and could only find the ones with the "cowboy" swirly logo on them. I'll keep looking.

Now all you need is some sweet aluminum dress rings to go around the outside of the steelie. That will DEFINITELY give it the VINTAGE LOOK! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
422 Posts

Hope this inspires you!

Those look great! Good job!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Those original hub caps look good on those FJ steelies.:bigthumb: Does anyone pics of them on the black FJ steelies? I'm sure they'll look pretty good on the black steelies as well.:rocker:

·
Registered
350 Posts
:)Here are a couple of black wheel/chrome cap pics before the transformation to old school look.

Enjoy.

Attachments

Reactions: WebSnyper

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for all the compliments guys!:)

I'm not too sure how to use the "quote" feature on thread replies.

There have been a couple posts/PMs about the chrome caps and the ebay vendor that I purchased from. He said he has no knowledge of what year(s) or truck they originally came from. This is unusual for him since most of his other listings give a lot of specifics. He also seems to believe it is a "one off". As far as part number, sorry to say there is no imprint other than the TOYOTA embossed logo. I just got lucky when I found these.

As for the extra black set of center caps, I plan on keeping them and eventually will have them chrome plated and the embossed Toyota logo painted in red...I think I just created a "one off".:lol:

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Any other folks out there with "old school hubcaps"--please post up!
:wave:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for replies. I also looked at the center cap/trim ring look as an atlernative. If I can't make the original FJ40 hubcaps work, I will go that way. It looks to me that all is reguired is to weld tabs onto the steelies and the hubcaps should work. Can anyone out there with welding experience comment on this?

·
Registered
350 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old School Hupcaps - Need advice.

Hi,

I'm in the process of customizing my FJ Cruiser wheels to be like yours.... Will go a few shades darker on the steel rim color etc. Its been a witch hunt trying to find the center caps that you have. Any thoughts/info/year on the chrome center caps with the red Toyota lettering would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

[email protected]

·
Registered
905 Posts
^ I can't help you (sorry), but I just had to compliment you on the oldest thread revival I've ever seen. Almost 6 years between posts. Impressive!

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
^ I can't help you (sorry), but I just had to compliment you on the oldest thread revival I've ever seen. Almost 6 years between posts. Impressive!
:jester:

·
Premium Member
3,653 Posts
here's the Toyota part number for those old school center caps:

42603-60110

They are painted black with a painted silver ring with "TOYOTA" written in the middle, in silver.
They are deeper than the FJ ones (because of the older style hubs), but other than that…

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi,

Good to see this thread is still around!

I'm on my second FJ--this one's army green with gunmetal wheels and same chrome hubs. I think they are timeless looking!

I've got two spare chrome hubs if anyone is looking to complete a set.

Similar to ones pictured.

Happy Trails!:grin

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts