Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I remember when I was growing up seeing the old Toyota's running across the sahara, and seeing them cross rivers and such (on TV of course) to me back then they seemed to be Indestructible. Did toyota miss the boat when they released the fj cruiser, was it their intention to give us another great off roader? or did they just think people were going to use them strickly for light off road use.with window breaks fender bulges lunging ect...... I don't know what Toyota had in mind when they released these units.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Probably somewhere in-between. I mean how many "off-road look-alikes" do they already make? They have more expensive yuppy 4X4's (lemmings) than anyone. The FJ was not built for the Sahara or safari use. We are/were the target. On this forum alone we have folks that are serious off-roaders, but even most/all of them actually drive to the event. Folks that do a few yearly runs. Folks that get out and play once or twce a year. Folks that never get in the dirt. Family folks that do the family thing. Even folks the skateboard the FJ's. Not much different marketing target than the new Wrangler. Ron

Disclaimer... JMHO

OK, I remember when I was growing up seeing the old Toyota's running across the sahara, and seeing them cross rivers and such (on TV of course) to me back then they seemed to be Indestructible. Did toyota miss the boat when they released the fj cruiser, was it their intention to give us another great off roader? or did they just think people were going to use them strickly for light off road use.with window breaks fender bulges lunging ect...... I don't know what Toyota had in mind when they released these units.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
I think build quality is different -- across the board for all manufactures.
The companies just don't "make em like they use to".

That combined with the high percentage of vehicles that will never even see a dirt road, Toyota had to make a compromise.

"Back in the day" -- when you bought a LandCrusier -- you bought it for a single purpose. A rugged go most any place vehicle.

Today our vehicles have to wear many hats. Get the kids at school, cruise down the highway, carry groceries, and then finally get on the trails when we have time.

It is a different time and place.

Think of this though.. how many manufactures are actively still making a off-road vehicle?

Toyota
RangeRover
Nissan
Jeep
Hummer

Sure you ~can~ take your Ford,Chevy,Dodge truck off road.. but thats not their intended purpose -- they are pickups first.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
You guys bring up some really vaild points, and they are all true. Cali really brings it home in his statements...it does suck that the auto manufacturers are in a position where they have to make everyone happy and that they are worried about the "bottom line." But we as consumer have to realize "it is what it is" and then buy what fits our needs.

Here my Old vs New:

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Look at what's happened to the Jeeps! As soon as/if Jeep drops the solid front axle on the Wrangler, they'll have a smaller/poorer/lower quality version of the FJ. Ron

You guys bring up some really vaild points, and they are all true. Cali really brings it home in his statements...it does suck that the auto manufacturers are in a position where they have to make everyone happy and that they are worried about the "bottom line." But we as consumer have to realize "it is what it is" and then buy what fits our needs.

Here my Old vs New:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Agree on all points. The old fj was a machine one could pound unmercifully and get away with it. The new FJC seems to have superior traction capabilities, but seems not take the abuse of an old fj40. I travelled over many miles through extreme off road conditions, including water spilling over the hood without concern about water in rear differentials etc, and suffered no damage whatsoever. The new one would go as far I am sure, but I don't know for how long it could keep it up. On the other hand the old fj got a bit tedious on a 2 hour highway trip while my new FJC is a pleasure to drive to the point where I turn off of the pavement...yep, it's a compromise all right, but a very nice one!

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
"Back in the day" -- when you bought a LandCrusier -- you bought it for a single purpose. A rugged go most any place vehicle.

Today our vehicles have to wear many hats. Get the kids at school, cruise down the highway, carry groceries, and then finally get on the trails when we have time.
Yep. IMO, the compromise worked out in our favor. As rugged and reliable as the old 'Cruisers are/were, I've beat up many a bladder and kidney bouncing down the highway at a whopping 45-50mph in one of my FJ40's just to get to a trail run. Not fun if you do it a lot. :rolleyes:

I never would've even thought about driving 5500 miles round-trip to the Summit last year in my 25 or 40. :eek: :eek: At least the FJC got me there and back in relative comfort.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
That's it in a nutshell. I did the same trip last summer in my 05 Jeep Rubicon and a 3K over the holidays.. That's when I decided to move up to the FJ. The stock TJ Rubicon was not a bad ride, but just didn't cut it for 5k/3k roadtrips. I believe the Fj will be much better.. Ron

Yep. IMO, the compromise worked out in our favor. As rugged and reliable as the old 'Cruisers are/were, I've beat up many a bladder and kidney bouncing down the highway at a whopping 45-50mph in one of my FJ40's just to get to a trail run. Not fun if you do it a lot. :rolleyes:

I never would've even thought about driving 5500 miles round-trip to the Summit last year in my 25 or 40. :eek: :eek: At least the FJC got me there and back in relative comfort.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Look at what's happened to the Jeeps! As soon as/if Jeep drops the solid front axle on the Wrangler, they'll have a smaller/poorer/lower quality version of the FJ. Ron
I agree, but don't know if they would risk stopping the SFA on a Wrangler, their market would collapse the brand & loose a tremedous amount of followers. . Hardtail to Softtail Harley Davidson was a biggy & still alot of hardcore Harley guy's prefer the Hardtail even if the Softail is way more comfortable. I see people driving JK Unlimited's that will never see dirt, so the change they made opened it up to a whole new buyer, $$$$$$$$$, that's what they want. The FJ rides like a dream, then you turn left & stop, pull a lever/push a button, & go get real serious.... That's what they wanted to build & they did.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Exactly.. Ron

I agree, but don't know if they would risk stopping the SFA on a Wrangler, their market would collapse the brand & loose a tremedous amount of followers. . Hardtail to Softtail Harley Davidson was a biggy & still alot of hardcore Harley guy's prefer the Hardtail even if the Softail is way more comfortable. I see people driving JK Unlimited's that will never see dirt, so the change they made opened it up to a whole new buyer, $$$$$$$$$, that's what they want. The FJ rides like a dream, then you turn left & stop, pull a lever/push a button, & go get real serious.... That's what they wanted to build & they did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts