Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple weeks ago while planning a "kids 4 wheeling trip" for the young ones, my bro-in-law and I were discussing making use of a large blueberry field we wheel near and planned to make a Blueberry pancake and bacon breakfast for the kids. So then the focus became cooking and I recalled having sold my Dad's old Coleman white gas stove that we used back in the 1970's on camping trips at a family yard sale some 15 years ago. How I wished I had not sold that old reliable stove. Then it hit me... EBay! I quickly logged into my Ebay account and searched around. Found several for sale, one with about 2 hours to go in the auction. Says it works, pic shows a flame, looking a little used but not trashed. No bids yet. $9.99 starting bid. So I stalked. One bid came in with 10 minutes to go. Ok, game on... I waited until 30 seconds to go and sha-bang! Swept in for the kill at 13 bucks (plus shipping).

Last night I spent a couple hours cleaned up this old beauty, removing a little surface rust, cleaning up the tank cap seat to get a good seal and giving the tank a fresh coat of paint. The model is a 425 which puts it in the early 1970's. Ahh.. the smell of white gas burning brings back some memories. Can't wait to get some flapjacks on the griddle! :bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Nice work. I have one from the early 80`s that still works great. Its been beat up a bit but both burners still work fine.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Took mine to Wheeltoberfest last October. I got it from my dad. It is a 60s model. They are great stoves.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Just got one from an antique/flea market for $12 last week! Just as excited as you are! lol pretty badass, huh? I already put an Overland Journal sticker on it lol :):)

·
Registered
180 Posts
We had one when I was a kid. On our way to Yellowstone one year I was sick in the back of our truck camper. My dad was out at the picnic table starting to cook dinner. He had just lit the stove when I heard the mini mushroom cloud go off. Guess the O-Rings on it went bad over time and finally leaked out. My dad sure looked funny with no hair on his hands.
:rofl:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I was sure that story was going to end with "...then upon closer inspection I saw my dad's initials on the back"

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was sure that story was going to end with "...then upon closer inspection I saw my dad's initials on the back"
Don't I wish. Man, that would have been amazing. It actually shipped all the way across the country from WA to PA. The lady selling it didn't think enough to remove the 1/8 tank full of gas in it and it leaked out the filler cap and saturated the corner of the box it was in. I was so surprised this flammable :flame: thing made it through the U.S. Postal system without throwing up a red flag!

I think if I ever come across a nice one at a flea market or yard sale for $12 bucks, I'll have to get it. I just have an appreciation for an old tin camping item like this that still works great.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I have a similar stove also from the 70's but its the 3 burner version. We used it camping when we were kids. I still take it with me camping now... its a little large but sure brings back memories.

·
fka rsidey
926 Posts
Man.....If I had a dollar for every pancake my dad cooked for us on that same stove.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree with all of you...the memories of camp cooking as a kid!

When the wife and I started camped I told her I had to have one of those.

Picked mine up at a yard sell for 40 bucks, I was more than happy to pay the lady, still in the box (used once).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yep, that's a wonderful unit. I had one all the way down the Continental Divide, on horseback, 1981. Got it in Darby, Montana and it worked all the way to Mexico. Packed real well in a pannier. It's a trooper but ya gotta have extra o-rings and keep the pump greased!:lol:

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
I have one of those, doubt it has burned more than 1-2 tanks of fuel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts