Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i want to do a little more than just level the front end,
maybe about 2" of lift with something a little more aggressive than stock tires for trail/off road. I plan on a full set of budbuilt skids also, so there is some weight I'll be adding later.

Not sure what to do (if anything) on the rear yet.
Will there be a big difference in the ride quality between them?

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
229 Posts
There's a thread floating around that compares all the OME spring weights and lengths for the front and rear. IIRC the 883 and 884 springs have the same overall weight, but the 884 is 10mm taller. With the extra length of the spring, you're probably looking at swapping shocks as well. The factory Bilsteins work great with the 883s (that's what I'm running now).

·
Registered
961 Posts
I run the 883's but not with steel skids, you probably want the 884's for the extra weight. Especially if you're going to add a winch later.
You might want to also consider upgrading the front shocks while everything is apart, it will help in handling and emergency braking situations.
HTH..

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run the 883's but not with steel skids, you probably want the 884's for the extra weight. Especially if you're going to add a winch later.
You might want to also consider upgrading the front shocks while everything is apart, it will help in handling and emergency braking situations.
HTH..
I have the Gray factory Bilsteins on it now, and was hoping to keep them for now. I doubt ill be adding a winch or bumper anytime soon.

KyFJGuy

·
Premium Member
444 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
FJ 16mm x 100mm/115mm x 351mm - 8.75 coils - ...kg - ...lb/in (+0.24" +...%)
883 17mm x 100mm/115mm x 375mm - 10.6 coils - 5.7kg - 590lb/in (+1.18" +2%)
884 17mm x 100mm/115mm x 385mm - 10.6 coils - 5.7kg - 590lb/in (+1.58" +2%)

so will the 884 on silver bilsteins level the fj just right?

the 0.08 inch higher should be offset by front end weight to level with the rear on stock coils

that 0.08 is so little

has anyone tried using 884s only to level if so can i see some pics

i have seen the 883s to level and it still looked like it had some of the factory rake

thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
has anyone tried using 884s only to level if so can i see some pics

i have seen the 883s to level and it still looked like it had some of the factory rake

thanks
I think it all depends on the truck. with my 883s there is less than 1/8" height difference between the front and back. I have seem some pics where the front came out higher and I have heard some guys using a 1" spacer in the rear to level things out.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts