Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 318 lbs.p.i. the OME 896 heavies are 67% stiffer then stock and 30% stiffer than the OME 895 mediums.

Who is, or was running them, and what do you see as the pros and cons? It would really help if only those that are running or have ran them on an FJC please reply.

Thanks so much for your input.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Just to throw it out there, since i know your truck is just way over-loaded, OME also has a SUPER-heavy (OME-897) 387lb/in :cheers:

·
Registered
876 Posts
I put them on just before the Summit. Pulled a trailer up there full of camping gear. Even the heavies lowered with the weight. without the trailer on or off road they feel great to me. They lifted the truck 4 inches and now it feels light a real truck. No mush whatsoever, yet no killer jolts to speak of. They are simply great!

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
we noticed that they are perfect for a super heavy front and rear bumper.. they really aren't that stiff... at least I don't feel that way..and I still consider the ride much smoother with the heavies than the stock

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I have the heavies in front and the mediums in the rear. This levels out the FJ, with a Fab Four front bumper and Warn Powerplant winch. With the heavies on the front it keeps the nose from diving during hard braking. A couple people I know got the mediums for the front with aftermarket bumpers (ARB) and winches and they said the nose would dive pretty good at times. I like the setup even though it is stiffer than stock, it still rides better than my Jeep TJ ever did. They have been on for about 15 months and the only noticeable issue is the rear is sagging about 3/4", this is probably because I added a Warn rear bumper and a metal drawer system to the back of the FJ, so I added some extra weight.

Edit: Sorry missed the "Rear" part of your message. Anyway like I said in the last part of the post, mine started to sag so I may be looking to go with the heavies in the rear as well.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would really help if only those that are running or have ran them on an FJC please reply.

Just to throw it out there, since i know your truck is just way over-loaded, OME also has a SUPER-heavy (OME-897) 387lb/in :cheers:
And you replied why? :jester: :rawr: Maybe you mean't to be helpful and I'm just in a pissy mood cause I missed the Summit? :lol:

I put them on just before the Summit. Pulled a trailer up there full of camping gear. Even the heavies lowered with the weight. without the trailer on or off road they feel great to me. They lifted the truck 4 inches and now it feels light a real truck. No mush whatsoever, yet no killer jolts to speak of. They are simply great!
Thanks for the info, glad to hear it. Hope the height settled down after you ran them. There only supposed to be a 2.0 lift?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we noticed that they are perfect for a super heavy front and rear bumper.. they really aren't that stiff... at least I don't feel that way..and I still consider the ride much smoother with the heavies than the stock
Thanks so much. The weight of your mods and better shocks probably counter the stiffer springs leaving you with a smoother and better ride. Exactly what you wanted!

I have the heavies in front and the mediums in the rear. This levels out the FJ, with a Fab Four front bumper and Warn Powerplant winch. With the heavies on the front it keeps the nose from diving during hard braking. A couple people I know got the mediums for the front with aftermarket bumpers (ARB) and winches and they said the nose would dive pretty good at times. I like the setup even though it is stiffer than stock, it still rides better than my Jeep TJ ever did. They have been on for about 15 months and the only noticeable issue is the rear is sagging about 3/4", this is probably because I added a Warn rear bumper and a metal drawer system to the back of the FJ, so I added some extra weight.
I have Icons on the front so no worries about the ride height. I'm just trying to get feedback on the heavies in the rear before I make the final change. It would be great to hear of experience rock crawling?

Thanks for your insight.

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Do you have before and after pics?
I assume the front was 4", but how much did you gain in the rear?
Thanx

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
At 318 lbs.p.i. the OME 896 heavies are 67% stiffer then stock and 30% stiffer than the OME 895 mediums.

Who is, or was running them, and what do you see as the pros and cons? It would really help if only those that are running or have ran them on an FJC please reply.

Hey Scott, how's it hanging ???

I've got the 896 on my FJC now, and I had the 895 previously.
While I liked the ride quality of the 895s,they just didn't hold up to the pounding we were giving them on our Anza Borrego wash runs :)rocker:).
Despite the jounce stops, the FJ would bottom out - I'm sure the additional load of gas and water cans / emergency equipment / spare parts / tools didn't help. Even the OME rear shocks were starting to fade. So, I installed the 896s with Racerunner rear shocks, and wow, what a difference. The ride is a little firmer in the back from the springs, but I never bottom out, and the handling feels tighter, too. :bigthumb:

The only problem I see is if you run the FJ unloaded most of the time - it will be a bumpier ride without the weight.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have before and after pics?
I assume the front was 4", but how much did you gain in the rear?
Thanx
All the OME rear springs for the FJC are the same height 15.35. I'm guessing he measured just after he did the install. You can jack your car up and set it down and gain 2" in the wheel well. Might have just added some new shoes too! :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Scott, how's it hanging ???

I've got the 896 on my FJC now, and I had the 895 previously.
While I liked the ride quality of the 895s,they just didn't hold up to the pounding we were giving them on our Anza Borrego wash runs :)rocker:).
Despite the jounce stops, the FJ would bottom out - I'm sure the additional load of gas and water cans / emergency equipment / spare parts / tools didn't help. Even the OME rear shocks were starting to fade. So, I installed the 896s with Racerunner rear shocks, and wow, what a difference. The ride is a little firmer in the back from the springs, but I never bottom out, and the handling feels tighter, too. :bigthumb:

The only problem I see is if you run the FJ unloaded most of the time - it will be a bumpier ride without the weight.
Hey there Larry! Thanks so much for the ride info, Racerunners huh! Have not heard of them but I'm sure there top of the line and big money. :lol: I talked to Dylan today at Icon and he said they're about ready to distribute a new long travel rear shock with reservoir. They use a 218lbs spring now, think they will use/recommend a heavier spring?

I expect you'll be one of the first to try them. See you next month.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Like Larry, I started with the 895s and graduated to the 896s. I've done several long hauls through the Colorado mountains to high country trails and Moab, and have been very happy with the weight distribution and overall on/off-road performance. I've done plenty of rack crawling in CO, NM and UT with a full load and they work well.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I would, but I have yet to figure the inset imag link on this forum. I can't drag them or copy them in. Any hint woul be appreciated and I'll send you some picts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I would, but I have yet to figure the inset imag link on this forum. I can't drag them or copy them in. Any hint woul be appreciated and I'll send you some picts
Easiest to host your photos on Photobucket or Shutterfly and use the image links :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

Copy the URL from where ever you have the pictures stored or right click on the photo and copy image location then click on the yellow insert image button and paste. Preview the post first and you should be fine.

·
Registered
876 Posts
OK, The copy part did not work so I tried the photobucket, here goes.

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
OK, The copy part did not work so I tried the photobucket, here goes.
As stated before the pics most be stored publicly. The URL is being posted not the actual picture. :)

Try using Firefox, it's a lot easier.:)

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Hey there Larry! Thanks so much for the ride info, Racerunners huh! Have not heard of them but I'm sure there top of the line and big money. :lol: I talked to Dylan today at Icon and he said they're about ready to distribute a new long travel rear shock with reservoir. They use a 218lbs spring now, think they will use/recommend a heavier spring?

I expect you'll be one of the first to try them. See you next month.
We already have them on order - I'll let you know after I get 'em (they look awesome; got the preview pics today).

The Racerunners are built by Sway-A-Way, and are a direct mount to the FJC

(I'll have a set looking for a good home in a couple of weeks....:bigthumb:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts