Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the toytec 884 lift and was wondering if there is a problem with keeping the stock front shocks. If the coil lifts the front 2.5 inches then would'nt that max out the shock at fool droop?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had the same lift installed a couple days ago and I am running the stock front shocks. No problems so far but again it's only been a couple days. I haven't tested the shocks yet though to see how much extension I will get, naturally it will be less but not sure if it is so less to really hamper the things I do in my FJ.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have 884/895 with the spacers(3" front) on stock Bilsteins. Ride is great on/off road. I've never felt the shocks top out on the road.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
The stock struts are not recommended nor designed to work with that spring. If i was you i would use the OME struts.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Im running stock shocks with mine, Toytec says they work fine and THEY DO!! See previous thread before and after pics, stock shocks are in action! :lol:

·
Registered
449 Posts
The stock struts are not recommended nor designed to work with that spring. If i was you i would use the OME struts.
Where did you get that info? The FJ does not have struts, btw.

On the phone Toytec says OME shocks are only required for 885 and 886.
On the website Toytec says OME shocks are only required for 886.

The stock Bilsteins work great with 884s. I can't speak for the base shock.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts

Well, there you go. Toytec says two different things.

Ask OME and they don't recommend using 886's for the FJC.

For "most" uses, I would guess that the stock "struts" would be fine (technically, the FJC does have front struts) but only time/use will tell if they are limited by an internal stop when at full droop.

But, the sound advise would be to use a shock with a longer travel than the stock system is designed for...

·
Registered
449 Posts
If the coil lifts the front 2.5 inches then would'nt that max out the shock at fool droop?
The shock is what limits the droop. If you lift the FJ and remove the bottom shock bolt, you can push the control arms down farther.

This lift only changes the at rest position of the control arms. This is the same effect as jacking the FJ up from the center of the IFS. The range of motion/travel does not change. The lift is not enough to top out the shocks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well, there you go. Toytec says two different things.

Ask OME and they don't recommend using 886's for the FJC.

For "most" uses, I would guess that the stock "struts" would be fine (technically, the FJC does have front struts) but only time/use will tell if they are limited by an internal stop when at full droop.

But, the sound advise would be to use a shock with a longer travel than the stock system is designed for...
This thread is about 884s. Toytec does not say two different things about 884s. The reason stock shocks are not to be used with 886s is because the spring seat is not strong enough for the added pressure of the 886s. It has nothing to do with geometry. On the phone I was advised to use 884s but, there are members running 885s with stock shocks.

After watching FJs in action with 886s, I would never use them either. They don't flex well.

The FJ comes with non-adjustable coil over shocks, not struts. Struts are part of the steering system as well as the suspension on cars. They attach to the spindle and rotate when the wheels are turned. This eliminates the need for upper control arms(cheaper production).

If you use longer front shocks, you will have CV damage. The front shock limits down ward travel of the control arm/wheel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll try the stock shocks, if they blow out then I will get longer ones.

·
Registered
449 Posts
... only time/use will tell if they are limited by an internal stop when at full droop.

"There are not any front shocks available from any manufacturer I know of that are over 1/2" longer; this is due to the configuration of the front IFS suspension.
You would have too much down travel with a shock that is any longer and too much down travel will damage CV axles."-Toytec

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

i got my info from and OME/ARB technician. Who is not interested in my sale. I also got the information from more than a few of experienced wheelers on this forum, and my local shop.

A shock is defined as a bounce dampener that is separate from the spring., and a strut is a bounce dampener that is inside of the spring and is a crucial part of holding up the vehicles axle or control arms. Therefore, the front of the FJ does have struts.

HowStuffWorks "Dampers: Struts and Anti-sway Bars"
I could find more to support my arguement, but i am going wakeboarding, have a good day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts