1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
How was the front fit ? Anything special to do ? Don't need the back.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good looking install, their sales will probably go up!
Thanks! I'm sure the BP51's will soon be very common. I think the biggest thing that was holding them back was limited availability. I had to wait a couple weeks for these to come in. Once you compare the capability and features, there's nothing that comes close in the price range.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,449 Posts
Thanks! I'm sure the BP51's will soon be very common. I think the biggest thing that was holding them back was limited availability. I had to wait a couple weeks for these to come in. Once you compare the capability and features, there's nothing that comes close in the price range.
I've edited my last post after finding out the group buy is for the entire heavy kit, one hell of a discount before you add the rebate on top.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Link no longer works (of course) Is the need to widen the tabs the only reason they don't advertise as for "ALL" FJs?
Nope. The rear shocks are slightly longer(no big deal), and the rear reservoirs mount to holes in the frame that aren't present on the 07-09 frames. You'll just need to drill and tap or use nut-serts.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Nope. The rear shocks are slightly longer(no big deal), and the rear reservoirs mount to holes in the frame that aren't present on the 07-09 frames. You'll just need to drill and tap or use nut-serts.
Sounds easy enough, but it makes you wonder why they don't make a kit for the majority of FJs out there.
Thanks for the write-up.

·
Desert Moderator
5,631 Posts
Any feedback on longevity on the BP51?
My Ironman FoamCell Pros are still fine after 110,000km, but I can feel that they're starting to loosen up a bit.
when I bought the Ironman the BP51 were only just announced and not widely available. Now it's time to start considering the next suspension setup probably within the next year when my current setup hits 150,000km...

·
Registered
723 Posts
I went on a tangent of research on these last night. I'm due for a upgrade from my Icons and was planning on going with Fox, but the rebound adjustment on these carries a lot of weight in my book. I found lots of installs on 4 runners / Tacos with pretty positive reviews overall.

Pros:

High Build Quality
Compression/rebound adjustment

Cons:
Springs need to be compressed to adjust preload.
Cost? (same price as other premium adjustables like King/Fox)
Lacking tune-ability outside the pre-set tune.

Anyone got anything to add?

Aren't the upper mounting studs on the newer gen rear shocks larger diameter? Might need to drill that hole out as well. My recollection is that the front lower mounts only needs to be widened a couple thousandths.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
The one thing that I like about the BP's is the Anodized 6061 aluminium body vs the coated steel that my KINGS have. The front is OK because I run covers but the rears have taken a beating. I'm going to have to pull the rears, sandblast and recoat them in the spring.

·
トヨタ Master
5,627 Posts
Aren't the upper mounting studs on the newer gen rear shocks larger diameter? Might need to drill that hole out as well. My recollection is that the front lower mounts only needs to be widened a couple thousandths.
Idk about the length as I replaced a 2" kit with these. I didn't struggle any harder installing them than any other Toyota suspension system. Yes, gentle persuasion with a hammer will open up the front lower mounts enough to install. Don't lose any sleep over the differences.

·
Premium Member
10,823 Posts
I went on a tangent of research on these last night. I'm due for a upgrade from my Icons and was planning on going with Fox, but the rebound adjustment on these carries a lot of weight in my book. I found lots of installs on 4 runners / Tacos with pretty positive reviews overall.

Pros:

High Build Quality
Compression/rebound adjustment

Cons:
Springs need to be compressed to adjust preload.
Cost? (same price as other premium adjustables like King/Fox)
Lacking tune-ability outside the pre-set tune.

Anyone got anything to add?

G'day Phos,
comments from DU, on the 51's ... this could be specific to DU....
Earlier builds had a lot of failures, mainly cracked n broken shafts and seals leaking... Warranty DU is always a challenge - especially from ARB - so many folks had trouble getting them fixed. Many of these failures are due to ARB continually thinking the Prado 150 and FJ are identical...so anything good for the Prado will work on the FJ - a mistake they seem to repeat.
The 51's are primarily developed for the Prado 150...with a spin off to the "identical" FJ ... but the Prado isn't identical ... its much heavier and the geometry is different enough to cause issues with valving and stress to cause a higher failure rate in the FJ.....
They may have remedied the issues now .... but in the beginning ...a lot of heart ache and headaches....
( not the first time ARB have assumed Prado/FJ work exactly the same - early Bullbars / skids - had the same issues )

The stone guards for the rears ..simply break and fall off ...

I'm not trying to bash ARB, some of the products they make and market are very good ....some not so good !!!!

Other Cons.
They cannot be adjusted on the vehicle.
Over priced (DU) for what they are...

Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts