Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
G'day Phos,
comments from DU, on the 51's ... this could be specific to DU....
Earlier builds had a lot of failures, mainly cracked n broken shafts and seals leaking... Warranty DU is always a challenge - especially from ARB - so many folks had trouble getting them fixed. Many of these failures are due to ARB continually thinking the Prado 150 and FJ are identical...so anything good for the Prado will work on the FJ - a mistake they seem to repeat.
The 51's are primarily developed for the Prado 150...with a spin off to the "identical" FJ ... but the Prado isn't identical ... its much heavier and the geometry is different enough to cause issues with valving and stress to cause a higher failure rate in the FJ.....
They may have remedied the issues now .... but in the beginning ...a lot of heart ache and headaches....
( not the first time ARB have assumed Prado/FJ work exactly the same - early Bullbars / skids - had the same issues )

The stone guards for the rears ..simply break and fall off ...

I'm not trying to bash ARB, some of the products they make and market are very good ....some not so good !!!!

Other Cons.
They cannot be adjusted on the vehicle.
Over priced (DU) for what they are...

Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
I was an early adopter of the 51s, June 2016. Currently 16k miles on them. Very little information in the first year. First dissapointment was the fact that in order to adjust height, you must remove and decompress the spring (special tool) since the threads are aluminum and will deform under pressure.

Well six weeks ago I developed a nasty front squeak, picture large garbage truck. Finally threw in the towel and brought into my dealer. They spent a half hour and concluded the 51 spring on the front left.

I quickly searched and realized that since I got them this has been an issue along with cold weather clunking which I also have. There is now a version 2. Long story short, ARB told me this week they won't cover or assist in any way.

Like you say, some ARB products very good. I have and love: front and rear bumpers, roof rack, fridge. The 51s, not so much. So I am now looking to replace the fronts - of course I cannot invest in 51s again just on principle no mater what they changed.

·
トヨタ Master
6,397 Posts
I was an early adopter of the 51s, June 2016. Currently 16k miles on them. Very little information in the first year. First dissapointment was the fact that in order to adjust height, you must remove and decompress the spring (special tool) since the threads are aluminum and will deform under pressure.

Well six weeks ago I developed a nasty front squeak, picture large garbage truck. Finally threw in the towel and brought into my dealer. They spent a half hour and concluded the 51 spring on the front left.

I quickly searched and realized that since I got them this has been an issue along with cold weather clunking which I also have. There is now a version 2. Long story short, ARB told me this week they won't cover or assist in any way.

Like you say, some ARB products very good. I have and love: front and rear bumpers, roof rack, fridge. The 51s, not so much. So I am now looking to replace the fronts - of course I cannot invest in 51s again just on principle no mater what they changed.
They won't warranty it because, by design, they do not "properly" fit the early FJs. We all knew this when we bought and installed them and inherently took the risk. Unfortunately, that's the way it is when adapting systems that don't "belong". Most aftermarket companies have this policy in their literature.

How much for a new spring if that's truly the culprit? It only takes 2 hours to change and any credible shop with a wall or floor mounted spring compressor can easily perform the work. I don't see this being a big deal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
They won't warranty it because, by design, they do not "properly" fit the early FJs. We all knew this when we bought and installed them and inherently took the risk. Unfortunately, that's the way it is when adapting systems that don't "belong". Most aftermarket companies have this policy in their literature.

How much for a new spring if that's truly the culprit? It only takes 2 hours to change and any credible shop with a wall or floor mounted spring compressor can easily perform the work. I don't see this being a big deal.
That's a good point - perhaps the shocks can be repaired. I will need to look at that, although there does not seem to be a fix for the cold weather clunk.

Had I known they were not a fit for FJ, I definitely would have steered clear. At the time I got mine, there were maybe 2-3 others that had posted any info. In that respect I do acknowledge I took a chance, but then again I was taking a chance with ARB. They didn't seem to have any issue replacing many in 2017-18, I was just a little too late to see the issue.

·
トヨタ Master
6,397 Posts
That's a good point - perhaps the shocks can be repaired. I will need to look at that, although there does not seem to be a fix for the cold weather clunk.

Had I known they were not a fit for FJ, I definitely would have steered clear. At the time I got mine, there were maybe 2-3 others that had posted any info. In that respect I do acknowledge I took a chance, but then again I was taking a chance with ARB. They didn't seem to have any issue replacing many in 2017-18, I was just a little too late to see the issue.
Don't mistake. They are for an FJ. The only difference between the early and late models are that there is no mounting hole in the frame for the rear reservoirs and the lower shock mount in the front on the early models are a fraction narrower than the late models. Nothing a hammer doesn't fix. Otherwise, the valving and spring rates are identical to the later FJs.

I had heard that the early BP51s did have some issues and that ARB only carried the warranty for one year, and after about 1.5 years, they updated the seals and used a better corrosive inhibitor on the bodies. Mine are the later issue and I haven't seen any problems yet. I also have a cold weather "clunk" but it is not coming from the OMEs. I suspect that the anti sway bar is shifting, causing the noise and I just haven't had time to put my magnetic GoPro on it and go drive around. With the anti sway bar detached, the noise is no longer apparent.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts