Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before but cannot find it in search. Why is one of my OME 884 coils seem longer than the other, maybe not longer but has more turns in the coil part one coil is wound more tightly than the other? Any reasons. I will get a pic up this afternoon if necessary thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-tech/41898-rear-spring-comparison.html
Jeshua

15.35"

I have been going around trying to get info on all the rear springs so I can compare them and see what would best suite my needs or if custom is in order. I am still missing some info and some springs but thought I would share what I have now and update as the info comes in. If you guys have a spring and its info that is not on here post it up along with its specs. Or if you feel my info is wrong let me now and I will double check it.

Spring . . . . . . . . . . . . Lift . . . . . . . . Length . . . . . . . Rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Made in
Stock. . . . . . . . . . . . base . . . . . . 14.88" . . . . . . . . ~190lb
All Pro. . . . . . . . . . . . +2" . . . . . . .15.75" . . . . . . . .15% stiffer then stock;~218lb . . . . . USA
Deaver. . . . . . . . . . . .+2.5". . . . . .16.5" . . . . . . . . . 30% stiffer then stock;~240lb. . . . . USA
Donahoe . . . . . . . . . . +2" . . . . . . .----- . . . . . . . ...15% stiffer then stock;~218lb. . . . . USA
Sway-a-way. . . . . . . .+2" . . . . . . .----- . . . . . . . . .12% stiffer then stock;~213lb
Downey . . . . . . . . . . .+1.5" . . . . .. 16.13" . . . . . . . .~22% stiffer then stock;232lb
OME895 . . . . . . . . . . .+2" . . . . . . .15.35" . . . . . . . .~37% stiffer then stock;260lb . . . . . Australia
OME896 . . . . . . . . . . .+2" . . . . . . .15.35" . . . . . . . .~67% stiffer then stock;318lb . . . . . Australia
OME897 . . . . . . . . . . .+2" . . . . . . .15.35" . . . . . . . .~103% stiffer then stock;387lb. . . . . Australia
Toytecs Custom. . . . . .+2.5". . . . . . 16.5". . . . . . . . .10% stiffer then stock;~209lb. . . . . . USA
Rough Country. . . . . . .+2". . . . . . . .16.56". . . . . . . .~16% stiffer then stock;220lb

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I know this has been discussed before but cannot find it in search. Why is one of my OME 884 coils seem longer than the other, maybe not longer but has more turns in the coil part one coil is wound more tightly than the other? Any reasons. I will get a pic up this afternoon if necessary thanks for the help.
They should be exactly the same.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks and what if they are not exactly the same. Because my front coils are clearly not the same. They are the same height but when the coil starts one starts turning before the other. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ok thanks and what if they are not exactly the same. Because my front coils are clearly not the same. They are the same height but when the coil starts one starts turning before the other. Thanks for the response.
There should be a small sticker on the coils with an OME number. I suspect you were sent 2 different rate springs (one is stiffer/higher capacity).

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Seems like someone else had the same issue about a month ago?

Anyone recall what that person's resolution was?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses I did check the numbers and they are the same some like 884 and then 1207 or something. Let me snag a pic and see what you guys think. I'm supposed to be doing this lift this afternoon I hope I still can.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
My recommendation then, and I'll re-iterate here, is to contact OME directly (or, a vendor that has intimate OME product knowledge) and find out if they're packing FJ-specific coils; those designed to offset the renown drivers side lean issue.

Ya never know, OME might be on top of one of the FJ's quirks, by shipping a shorter spring for the passenger side to counter the driver's side lean...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Joeuser is on to something. When I got my OME springs about a year and a half ago, my springs were not the same length. About a 1/4 inch difference. ARB said it was within their spec. I had the installer put the longer one on the drivers side. No lean in front but the back still does.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perfect thanks joeuser and fjlarry I did check the rear coils and it also seems that they have the same problem maybe they are a bit different to offset the weight also, I checked the #'s on the tag once more and one states 060 and the other is 059. I will give OME a direct call. pics are coming soon thanks again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

To me it seems the left spring is the taller one? I don't know if I should just use this one on the driver side or if I should call and confirm. Input please? thanks again folks.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I would still call and confirm. Just to put the question to rest.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well according to ARB they are supposed to be exactly the same. And as the pictures show they don't look the same. I don't know if I should run the taller one on the driver side or what? Would this help correct the lean or? How could I be the only one with this problem or is it just my eyes? Opinions please.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Just how much longer is the one spring? If it's within 1/4" to 3/8" of each other I'd just put the longer one on the drivers side. They offer a spacer to offset the drivers side lean. This way you won't need one. Mine has been problem free and it was about 1/4" difference between springs. It's funny though how the same company can give you 2 different answers to the same problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya I called Doug at toytec and he informed me that there is no real issue. The one coil is no more than 1/4 inch. So he said just put it on the driver side to help eliminate the lean. He also said that with all these coils in mass production it's real easy to make one a 1/4 inch larger. Anyways this will hopefully benefit me. I will post pics tomorrow when I am finished with the lift. Thanks for the help guys!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Thanks for the responses I did check the numbers and they are the same some like 884 and then 1207 or something. Let me snag a pic and see what you guys think. I'm supposed to be doing this lift this afternoon I hope I still can.
Did you ever measure? Curious if one is shorter than 15.35?:lol: Not a big deal either way.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya it is but not by much. I am just going to throw the longer one on the drivers side. And what's this about the top plate spacer in the other thread? I'm freaking out on what I am about to install? Is it a bad idea to put the spacer on? what kit are you using...
thanks

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Ya it is but not by much. I am just going to throw the longer one on the drivers side. And what's this about the top plate spacer in the other thread? I'm freaking out on what I am about to install? Is it a bad idea to put the spacer on? what kit are you using...
thanks
Don't freak out, you'll be fine.

I have 3/4" lean right now and its barely perceptible. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
thanks
The 1/2" spacer is to provide the lift necessary to reach 3". If you have the kit that supplies them, I would recommend using them. Otherwise, you'll have to remove the strut assembly again to install them (and, press out the studs and replace the stock studs with the longer ones that allow the spacer).

Do it now, and save yourself the trouble and hassle to add them later. Otherwise, you're just getting a 2-1/2" lift, not the full 3" lift.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.