1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all !

Sorry another suspension thread

Ok here the question

i have to make a money choice... what you think of going with the coils only??? i think for the front there is not much problem but i heard that the stock rear shock might fully expend quickly.

for a everyday drive and sometime offroad that i was able to do with a chevy tracker stock lol would i have any problem running only the coils and not the shock???

here is what im interested in.....
coils only lift

but if some1 have this exact setup i would like to know what you think of it....
spacer front coils rear

i dont want to start a war between spacer and full lift there is enought thread for that!

just want to know if ill still like my fj with the coils only ;)

Thanks !

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Personally, I would get the rear shocks also. Your shocks will limit the travel u have. For the front the stock shocks will be fine. Yes, it will ride better with OME shocks but it will still function fine without them. So, my suggestion is coils on stock shocks in the front. Rear, shocks and coils. :)

Hello all !

Sorry another suspension thread

Ok here the question

i have to make a money choice... what you think of going with the coils only??? i think for the front there is not much problem but i heard that the stock rear shock might fully expend quickly.

for a everyday drive and sometime offroad that i was able to do with a chevy tracker stock lol would i have any problem running only the coils and not the shock???

here is what im interested in.....
coils only lift

but if some1 have this exact setup i would like to know what you think of it....
spacer front coils rear

i dont want to start a war between spacer and full lift there is enought thread for that!

just want to know if ill still like my fj with the coils only ;)

Thanks !

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I would only way i would do that, is if the only thing i was going to do was install OME 883's up front. Otherwise, get new shocks designed for offroad use, not shocks/struts designed for highway use. There is a difference.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I would only way i would do that, is if the only thing i was going to do was install OME 883's up front. Otherwise, get new shocks designed for offroad use, not shocks/struts designed for highway use. There is a difference.
Another thing to add. Once u start this process your gonna be hooked. One mod will lead to another. So, the best thing to do is build it well in the first place. Easier to do one mod once and not have to redo it again later.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Another thing to add. Once u start this process your gonna be hooked. One mod will lead to another. So, the best thing to do is build it well in the first place. Easier to do one mod once and not have to redo it again later.
x2 MOST people who add the 883's, end up replacing everything because they add other heavier things that require stronger springs. (bumpers winches, batteries, recovery gear.)

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
here is the school I have been to, first if you just want lift get you a spacer lift. if you want the handling of the fj to improve, and its stability, then replace coils,shocks, front and rear. By this I am telling you, spend the money up front and do it right the first time. then your done.. my 02:bandit:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
x2 MOST people who add the 883's, end up replacing everything because they add other heavier things that require stronger springs. (bumpers winches, batteries, recovery gear.)
Where was this advice a few months ago?
Current 883 and sagging rear-
Soon-? ? ? ? still researching.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Where was this advice a few months ago?
Current 883 and sagging rear-
Soon-? ? ? ? still researching.
haha. Very few people "just lift the front" and then are finished all together suspension wise. haha. i must have not seen your post :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i had a money dilemna as well.....and talked to toytec for a while and ended up going with the medium coils up front and medium coils in rear....and I kept my oem shocks front and rear as well. I would lose some wheel travel in rear but unless I was doing heavy rock crawling they doubted I could tell difference and I havent.

I plan on getting the OME shocks front and rear this year.....to replace them but at the time it allowed me to get a full OME lift.....then my tires...rock sliders and now skids. If I had got the shocks up front I would have had to drive around another couple months with tires rubbing since I bought tires first......hahaha

If you know up front you will replace them within a year or two at most...or have no problems replacing them later if they fail...then I say save your money and put that $350 in a good set of rock sliders instead from budbuilt. :D

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
i had a money dilemna as well.....and talked to toytec for a while and ended up going with the medium coils up front and medium coils in rear....and I kept my oem shocks front and rear as well. I would lose some wheel travel in rear but unless I was doing heavy rock crawling they doubted I could tell difference and I havent.

I plan on getting the OME shocks front and rear this year.....to replace them but at the time it allowed me to get a full OME lift.....then my tires...rock sliders and now skids. If I had got the shocks up front I would have had to drive around another couple months with tires rubbing since I bought tires first......hahaha

If you know up front you will replace them within a year or two at most...or have no problems replacing them later if they fail...then I say save your money and put that $350 in a good set of rock sliders instead from budbuilt. :D
If you are doing the installing yourself, i would def recommend doing the front all at once. Pulling those coils out and putting them back in is not something i enjoy doing on a saturday morning.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't necessarily want to get totally off topic here, but I'd like to expand on weroman's initial question.
I just purchased 285/70/17 BFG ATs and rub (very slightly) the fender where the body mount is tucked behind. I'd like to get an OME 3", but just the coils for now ($$$). If I purchased the 885s and 895s, are there any issues with using the stock shocks? I must say that I do VERY little offroading and it's more for aesthetics. Within the coming year I'll get a Demello front bumper, hence the 885s up front. Anything I should know here that I'm missing? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have to echo Layonn's comment. The front assembly includes the shock and coil it comes out and goes back in as a unit. Do yourself a favor and replace the shock and spring at the same time, for 2 reasons: It's dangerous compressing the spring to do the assembly, and you have to monkey with the control arms to get the new one in (it'll be taller). I'm 6'5" 225 and it was a struggle for me.
The rear is another matter, since the coils and shocks are separate.
If you have access to a shop press it can help with the work:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-tech/41265-alternative-coil-spring-compressors.html

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
if you got the tools and the money then by all means do them at same time......i am betting most of us do not have a safe set of strut compressors and I have read countless threads on using cheapo harbour freight and others to manually compress and destroying the compressors. it only takes once to hurt yourself or someone else with these things...

if you have to take it to someone else anyhow.....and dont have the money for the shocks...then YES you can just get the springs and use your oem shocks/struts. You will lose some suspension travel in rear and repeated hard wheeling with rear end slamming down to full length on your stock shocks will cause them to fail eventually. That being said if you dont wheel much or dont do much more than dirt roads, mud holes or sand...then I would guess you will be fine.

Put the money towards some rock sliders to protect the sides of your vehicle.....and save money to buy the OME or others later to match your suspension.

Yes you can do it....but if extreme wheeling I would not try it due to high probability the rear shocks will fail. If that is not an issue then enjoy your suspension...I was on a budget as you are so do what is best for you knowing it will not of itself cause any problems with your rig.

This I got straight from ToyTec whenI bought mine....they could have easily told me I had to buy the shocks but they did not. Give them a call and tell them your driving habits and terrain...and let them tell you what they recommend. Either wait until you can buy them all......or buy them separately. I had larger tires already and needed the clearance...waiting was not an option and not upgrading tires was not an option as I was camping and traveling back roads already.
Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am not sure if my front coils are stock or not. I put a heavier front M1 bumper (I do not recommend the product, had lots of issues with the quality and fabrication weld angles are very off and had missing parts) and a winch on the front now and want to make sure things are a little stiffer (it is about 280lbs heavier now I am guessing). I had recently (4 months) replaced all my shocks with bilstein 4600s. I don't do much rock crawling type stuff, but do have a farm where a 4x4 is needed and some off road type driving. Can I put OME 885s on the front with these shocks or do I need to switch to bilstein 5100s? The 4600s made a big difference in driving already. I have 285/70/17 wheels. Also, how do you know if you tell if your coils are after market or not? I got mine used and the vehicle is slightly higher than a stock FJ when parked next to it when I got it. I am trying to figure out if my front coils are stock or not... anyway to tell? Also I read about people putting a spacer on the front drivers side... do I need to do that to keep it level? Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts