Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Skyjacker 3" lift, which uses the factory front springs, but has lifted spring perches on the Skyjacker strut. I want to replace the factory spring with an OME spring. 2 questions: 1. OME springs are the same height as factory...right? 2. I have All Pro front bumper with Warn 8000 winch, cant decide on heavy or medium spring.

Does anyone know the ride firmness from factory-to-medium-to-heavy?

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm running OME mediums with Toytec coilovers, and no extra weight on the front. I think that they are a little too firm right now, but I got them so that I could add a winch or bumper without having to re-do the springs. As far as the heavies go, I have no idea. I personally have no need for that much extra weight.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have the OME mediums on mine plus the AllPro front bumper and skid. Noticeable difference in stiffness from factory, feels very very solid. Just my 2 cents..

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Just went from factory to OME Heavy front and rear. With an ARB bar and winch on the front, the ride is firm, but comfortable.
Factory to OME adds 2.5-3" on the 2010.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm running the ome 885 in front with that weight you should go with 886. I am going to change my to the 886's. Mine has started sag in the front with the extra weight I added. Coil overs you can always adjust them.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so the OME spring is actually taller? if it is, i cant use it, or i would have to buy new front struts...again. I was hoping they were the same height as factory, just firmer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm running the ome 885 in front with that weight you should go with 886. I am going to change my to the 886's. Mine has started sag in the front with the extra weight I added. Coil overs you can always adjust them.
So Sandman, what kind of weight are you carrying up front? Looks like the 885 is suitable for 70-180lbs yielding 2.5 to 3" of lift. The reason I'm asking is I have an Exp-One front bumper and a Warn 9.5, which I'm guessing weights in at a total of about 170. So I was on the fence between a 885 and an 886 but it seems the 886 is no longer an option? I'm not seeing it on ARB's site anymore.

I'm running with the stock springs and a Rough Country 3" spacer and a body mount chop, which seems to work just fine offroad, though I'm sagging like granny's brazier.

I'm just getting my thoughts together for spring, which will probably be the OME strut / spring and a UCA.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Do not put the OME lift springs in the struts you have. Your struts have the lift built in. The OME springs will have another 2"-4" of lift on top of that. The struts won't have enough down travel for that much of combined lift.

I have the OME heavy 886's with the OME struts with the Allpro front bumper and winch, sliders, etc. I prefer a solid ride, but if I was going to do it again, I'd get the medium 885's

·
Registered
98 Posts
So Sandman, what kind of weight are you carrying up front? Looks like the 885 is suitable for 70-180lbs yielding 2.5 to 3" of lift. The reason I'm asking is I have an Exp-One front bumper and a Warn 9.5, which I'm guessing weights in at a total of about 170. So I was on the fence between a 885 and an 886 but it seems the 886 is no longer an option? I'm not seeing it on ARB's site anymore.

I'm running with the stock springs and a Rough Country 3" spacer and a body mount chop, which seems to work just fine offroad, though I'm sagging like granny's brazier.

I'm just getting my thoughts together for spring, which will probably be the OME strut / spring and a UCA.
I have expedition one bumper with a winch. I measured from the center of the rim to the black on the front fender It was 1 1/2 inches lower from the back I thought of spacers but was told that the 886 would level it again

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

It is still available, vendors are just told to sell the heavy kit as 885s up front now. Just call whoever you want to buy from (i highly recommened TRDparts4u in Dallas, forum vendor, offers discount, great customer service) and tell them you want the 886s up front and the 895s in the rear with the new nitrocharger sport shocks.

I had the 885s with the ARB. All was fine, 3" lift, flexed well. Then i added a winch and lost about an inch up front. So i swapped to the 886s and got the inch back. I then later added a dual battery and the super charger (SC weighs about 60lbs) and it didn't droop at all. And flexed very well offroad.

This is with 886s and just an ARB/warn m8000:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have expedition one bumper with a winch. I measured from the center of the rim to the black on the front fender It was 1 1/2 inches lower from the back I thought of spacers but was told that the 886 would level it again
I'm a little more concerned with ride quality than complete levelness.

I have the OME heavy 886's with the OME struts with the Allpro front bumper and winch, sliders, etc. I prefer a solid ride, but if I was going to do it again, I'd get the medium 885's
That's good to know. The 886's might be a little too stiff. I'm starting my shopping list. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
It is still available, vendors are just told to sell the heavy kit as 885s up front now. Just call whoever you want to buy from (i highly recommened TRDparts4u in Dallas, forum vendor, offers discount, great customer service) and tell them you want the 886s up front and the 895s in the rear with the new nitrocharger sport shocks.

I had the 885s with the ARB. All was fine, 3" lift, flexed well. Then i added a winch and lost about an inch up front. So i swapped to the 886s and got the inch back. I then later added a dual battery and the super charger (SC weighs about 60lbs) and it didn't droop at all. And flexed very well offroad.

Ok... So how do the 886's ride? I'm probably a little lighter up front. I like firm but not to the point of knocking out your tooth fillings. Nice flex btw.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Rather than start a new thread, I have a related question (actually 3 questions): First, why do most vendors only sell the light or heavy OME kits and not the medium one? I just bought a 2011 FJ and am looking to lift it. Second, many vendors stress that for the heavy or medium kits, the weight must already be on the vehicle. If I plan to add the weight within, say, the next few months or tow a trailer, should order the medium or heavy now? And lastly, many vendors only seem to sell kits for FJs up through 2009 and don't offer kits for newer models. What is with that?

Hope this isn't hijacking the thread. Thanks....
Bonehead

·
Premium Member
387 Posts

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
stupid question - perhaps especially from one with an OME kit already installed, but: what's an 885 and what's an 886? are those the springs, or are 885's the Nitrocharger shocks and the 886es the Nitrocharger Sports? the application guide One Shot posted a link to earlier in the thread shows springs with part numbers ending in 884 and 885, but no 886 that i can see. thanks...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts