Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently replacing my Skyjacker 3" unleveling kit as the second set of replacement struts are shot. I have decided on the OME 3" kit. I want to make sure I will have a more level FJ once I am done. I have a Warn 9.5ti winch and a Warn bumper on the front. I am goining to go with the "heavy" kit for the proper spring rates for the front. My question is whether I will need to install the 5mm spacer shims to make sure that I am level? Will I need two spacers or just the driver side?

Any advice or pictures would be appreciated. I will not be installing the kit myself so I would hate to have to bring it back a second time.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I am looking at the ome lift also. Search threads here to see if you really want the heavy springs. I have heard people say that they are real stiff, even with a heavy bumper and winch. You may want the mediums. Just be sure before you buy something you may not be happy with. Just my thoughts,
Jax':wave:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
You should be fine with the 886s and the Warn front with a winch. With just the ARB and a Warn m8000 i could pretty easily get my front end on the bump stops when articulating. I had the 885s and a ARB. Then i added the m8000 and the front end dropped 1 inch on both sides, so i swapped out to get the 886s. I did not notice any difference in ride stiffness or flex offroad between the two. (to me at least)

Will it sit perfectly level? It will be close. But the only way to truly know is to install it. Drive it for a week, and then measure it (the week of driving is so the springs can settle).
The bad part is that if it is not perfectly level, you will have to basically completely un-install the front suspension and take the coilover back apart then put it all back together. So if you are paying to have this done, you are pretty much going to have to pay for the same price over again (not all because they are not touching the rear suspension, but the rear suspension takes a 1/3rd of the time as the front to install).

If you are a perfectionist and having the front be off from the rear by even a 1/2 of an inch is going to drive you nuts, your are better off going with the adjustable (and more expensive) coilovers.

For what its worth, i wouldn't add any spacers to the OME heavy springs except for maybe 1 of the 5mm spacers on the driver side to account for the extra weight on that side. Mine was within a 1/4" of the passenger side without the trim spacer.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I gotta go with Jax here, if you're looking for more of a level the mediums are what you're looking for. The Warn bumper and 9.5ti is a pretty robust combo which should let you keep the stance you're looking for.

Remember to keep the model numbers in mind when you're ordering:
883 = front 'leveling' spring
884 = front "light" spring
885 = front "medium" spring
886 = front "heavy" spring

895 = rear "medium" spring
895E = rear "medium" spring 1.5inch
896 = rear "heavy" spring

Shops seem to be different when comparing the number to the label, you sound like you're after the 895's in the front.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I think RAWR covered everything in Layton's post. He described everything to a T.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts