Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a bit of help deciding whether to rent spring compressors and attempt to install my OME 3 inch lift kit myself. I'll be doing this in my driveway.

As far as my experience goes I can work a wrench etc...but not a big time mechanic type. Over the past week I installed an ARB Bull bar with a Warn 8000 winch and found the task quite challenging.

So in your opinion should I attempt this or just take the FJ to a shop who has the tools and knows what they are doing?

If I take it to a shop...what would be a reasonable amount of "work hours" I should be billed for this job?

Thanks for helping me and pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
the compressor is pretty simple...save your "shop $", rent the spring compressor, and do it!!! youve gotten this far, and seem to have accomplished alot, so just do it

·
Registered
108 Posts
you will need 3 compressors and a good impact wrench to compress the ome springs,it helps to have a buddy the extra hand is nice,don't forget to cover the springs with a blanket when your compressing them,it sure beats loosing body parts if the compressors break.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Doing it yourself is not really all that hard. The biggest concern is safety. When I did mine I used 4 compressors on each spring. FOr safety I wrapped them with cardboard and then two nylon ratchet straps. THen threw a blancke over them as I tightened them down with an impact gun.

You can also do the job yourself and just have a shop swap over the springs for you if that parts worries you. Check the thread below, might give you some information.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-tech/50172-ome-3-installed-happy-camper.html

·
Registered
219 Posts
Had a local shop install 885/895 OME springs last week. They did it in three hours while I was at work. Cost me $140 and the shop a worn out strut compressor. Mechanic said he had to step on the handle to get the 885s compressed enough.

That being said, if I had an impact wrench and compressor to handle it I'd have tried it.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If you rent compressors, make sure they are beveled properly. I rented a set that were the opposite camber of the springs and were therefore useless. Also note that the space between the OME springs is very narrow and some manual compressor hooks will not fit between them. This is especially perplexing after you have them on, compress the springs onto the strut, then can't get them off! I've installed several sets: alone, with friends and at the shop. It is not difficult to do in your driveway given the proper tools and an extra pair of hands. Time-wise, if you're familiar with your rig and the tools: 3 hours for the front and 1 for the rear from parked, jacked up, installed, and back on rubber. Check out the FSM for some helpful images and torque specs. Just be aware and safe!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used a Mac Tools brand new never been used spring compressor set to put my mediums on, and they were toast by the time I was done doing both springs. The threads were all chewed up and the rods themselves were bowed. It was only a two bar kit, but was supposedly heavy duty. Not heavy enough apparently. Definitely need an impact gun to get the spring compressed enough, hand tools would not have worked.

my .02

MXDan

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have the 885's and the install went very smooth EXCEPT for trying to compress the ome springs with the rented manual compresors. Do yourself a favor, have a shop swap the springs for you. I mean do all the work to remove the struts, have a shop do the spring swap, then you put them back in. The rest of the job is pretty easy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the encouragement to do it myself. I found a nice comprise on this project. A good friend of mines son is starting a small performance shop and agreed to work with me to do the job. Luckily I took him up on the offer because we did wreck a spring compressor doing the job. He also has a shop and the air tools so I did not have to rent anything. Between the savings on renting and his experience it was worth doing it this way for me.

I gave him some cash to help his business along and also got to see/participate in the job. Honestly though...if I were going to do another kit I would just rather pay somebody to do this job rather than do it myself.

I guess there are somethings I like doing and others I do not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts