Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched all over for this info and can't seem to find the exact answer that I am looking for, so here it goes:

I am interested in lifting my FJ with the OME lift kit from toytec (stock FJ, 4x4) with no plans of installing an aftermarket bumper or winch or anything. I am will to lift to 3" max, but would settle for 2" - 2.5". My questions are:

- If the 884 coils are installed w/o the top plate spacer, how much lift will that realistically yeild? Any first hand experience? photos?

-When it's all said and done, are people seeing more than 3" of lift with the top plate spacer installed?

-I am looking to maintain somewhat of a forward rake when lifted so that my nose doesn't sit high when the rear is loaded down. If the top plate spacer is installed, is the lift pretty level front to back, or is there a rake? or do you think installing just the 884 coils will provide a good rake, or too much rake?

Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
as stated on Toytec site

---884--- 2" lift standard coils - add top plate spacers for full 3" lift

---885--- Medium 2" lift coils for 110 lbs additional front weight

----886--- Heavy 2" lift coils for 200+ front weight -- No top plate spacer needed-

Lift heights aren't set in stone as each vehicle will vary and give slightly different heights

·
Registered
141 Posts
i want 884s since im keeping the stock bumper. is it worth it to get it with the spacer to add the extra inch, or is it going to cause any problems in the future? i always hear spacers are no good but is this any different?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i want 884s since im keeping the stock bumper. is it worth it to get it with the spacer to add the extra inch, or is it going to cause any problems in the future? i always hear spacers are no good but is this any different?
With the OME lifts, from what I understand, the spacer will not affect the ride quality (since it's a small spacer); however, once you start getting into the 3" lift range, you may start having issues with you CV angles and alighnment issues...

This is going to sound picky, but for me, I don't want the full 3 inches of lift right now, but i want more than the ~2" of lift that 884s provide. I decided to go with the 884 coils, the trim packer, and 1/4" top plate spacer on each side. I am hoping this set-up yields approximately 2.5" to 2 3/4" when it's all said and done. I have all of the parts readay to install so I'll keep you posted with measurments and pics when the lift is installed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm going with the 884's without any spacers. I'm awaiting the springs and shocks as I type. Hope to have it done by next weekend.

My buddy has an 08 with a 2" OME and his yielded about 2.5".

Looking forward to your pics... I'll do the same once completed.

Did you decide on tires?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going with the 884's without any spacers. I'm awaiting the springs and shocks as I type. Hope to have it done by next weekend.

My buddy has an 08 with a 2" OME and his yielded about 2.5".

Looking forward to your pics... I'll do the same once completed.

Did you decide on tires?
Awesome, can't wait to see the pics! My FJ is my daily driver so I am not looking to get a mud tire. Looking at either 285/70/17 Hankook Dyanpro Atms (had these tires on my truck and they are great all around), or BFG A/Ts..

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

I am running 285s on 16s with 884s in front and 895Es in rear. It is 37.5 inches in the center of the fenderwell. They lifted me 2.5 inches without top spacers.

·
Registered
141 Posts
wow looks real nice, i think the 2.5" would be perfect for me rather then 3". thanks for the info and pics guys

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I am running OME Mediums with the top spacers. The driver side has 3 shims and the passenger side has 1 to make up for the driver side lean. I have DeMello 3 hoop / winch / DeMello front skid / DeMello Hybrid Kickout Sliders and skids for the transmission and transfer case so there is a bit of weight on the front. I would go mediums without the spacer. You can always add it later.

My sig pick is a good view of the way my FJ sits. Disreguard the trailer. I had an empty tank of gas and the tongue weight of the trailer is less than 100 pounds.

Those are 285/75/16 tires.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm also still on the fence about the spacer/no spacer. I'm gonna order a lift soon and I wanna be sure of what I want and need before I do.

I think more pics of FJ's with and without the spacers would be great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lift is here... was hoping to have it done but will most likely have to complete it during the week. I've decided to go with 285/70/17 BFG's. Should fill out the wells nicely and still do ok with my daily commute. Pics next weekend... :)

·
Registered
961 Posts
If you are not going with a heavy bumper, think about the OME 883's they will level your FJ just fine without making the ride harsh. That's what I put on several years ago.
Also, I keep preaching this: if your replacing the front springs do the shocks at the same time. Better shocks will improve your ride substantially, and its all in the same process labor-wise so it's just the cost of the shocks to add in.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I already did the 883's shortly after I bought my truck, now I'm looking for a bigger lift and tires. I wanted to wait till I got a commuter to ride back and forth to work and now that time has come :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Installed the lift last week. I must say, the improvement in ride quality over stock is amazing! Better than I expected. Noticably stiffer, no brake dive, doesn't lean around corners..Just an overall solid feel. Installed the 884s with the 1/4" top plate spacer. Looks to be close to 3", maybe a hair less. I'll try to post some pics up with measurments sometime in the next couple of days. Trying to let the springs break in and settle a bit so that it's accurate.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Installed the lift last week. I must say, the improvement in ride quality over stock is amazing! Better than I expected. Noticably stiffer, no brake dive, doesn't lean around corners..Just an overall solid feel. Installed the 884s with the 1/4" top plate spacer. Looks to be close to 3", maybe a hair less. I'll try to post some pics up with measurments sometime in the next couple of days. Trying to let the springs break in and settle a bit so that it's accurate.
Did you change the struts, or keep the stock ones?
I'm having my 883's put on sometime next week if i get my spacer in time.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
21 Posts
My FJ is back together... love the OME lift! It garnered me about 2.5" overall. It rides so much better... limited roll in the corners and no more dive on braking. Relatively easy installation.

I changed struts on mine... seemed the way to go.

I'll have pics up over the weekend... although I'm certain you guys have seen similar ones :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just had my 883's put on this morning. Used a ToyTec TP14 spacer on the drivers side to level it out. Front is at 36" now with the rear about 1/4" higher
with a full tanks of gas. Feels pretty good on the road too.

KyFJGuy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts