Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally going to put a lift on my 2014. I've decided to go with OME. I see that they have a light, medium and heavy load. I don't plan on adding any bumpers or towing anything, should I go with the light?

·
Premium Member
4,537 Posts
You doing the BP-51 system? I wouldn't do the heavy unless there is a possibility of a bumpers and a winch. I believe on my BP-51's I only had light or heavy as a choice. I did do heavy.

I had mediums on the rear,1.5 - 2.0 inch, before the rear bumper and winch, too light after the bumper etc.

Good luck,

·
Premium Member
4,537 Posts
Any skid plates in the future? Going to carry gear in the back? Probably medium. Let's see what others have to say.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I did 885 (front) and 895 (rear) springs (I wanted as close to 3" lift as possible) with their Nitrocharger shocks/struts and have been quite pleased with the results for almost a year now. I use the FJ for transportation/work and we get out in the Wilds 2-3 times a month. Around town when empty the back is a wee bit stiff, but it's almost never empty as I usually have my work stuff (100-150 lbs) in the back or there's 2-3 of us plus gear on the trail (and the tires are aired down to 20-25 psi) it's right where I want it to be. We've mounted a Coastal Offroad aluminum front bumper (it weighs about the same as the stock bumper stuff we took off) and sliders we built ourselves out of 1 3/4" tubing (40-45 lbs/side), will be installing a Warn M8000 winch in the bumper in the next week or so and I don't expect the additional weight to change it much. Hope this helps. Al
FJ Cruiser High Clearace Front Bumper Kit | Coastal Offroad

PS- I have read (in another thread here) that the OME 883, 884 and 885 front springs all have the same coil thickness and weight rating- 590 lbs/inch. The difference- the 884's (385 mm height) are 10 mm taller than the 883's (375 mm) and the 885's (395 mm) are 10 mm taller than the 884's. The 886 springs are slightly thicker coil with a higher weight rating (660 lbs/inch) and 12 mm taller (407 mm) than the 885's.
OME rear springs- 895E springs are 375 mm tall and rated at 260 lbs/inch, 895 are 390 mm tall with the same 260 lb/inch weight rating (and I'm guessing the same coil thickness), 896 are 390 mm tall and 318 lbs/inch (so a slightly thicker coil?). Stock rear springs- 378 mm free height and 190 lbs/inch.

A fellow member here reported that "885/895 with ARB bumper (140 lbs) and Warn XD9000 (78 lbs) the front does sag a little but doesn't dive when braking. The front is a good inch plus lower than the back."

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any skid plates in the future? Going to carry gear in the back? Probably medium. Let's see what others have to say.
I dont have any plans to add skid plates or bumpers at this point
I dont have any plans to add skid plates or bumpers at this point.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i have the medium with stock front and back bumpers. i think it's a lot stiffer than stock suspension. i can feel every lug on my M/T's as i back down my driveway. coming back from home depot with 8 bags of cement in the back it felt great though. lol
aired down it's not as noticeable

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have the medium with stock front and back bumpers. i think it's a lot stiffer than stock suspension. i can feel every lug on my M/T's as i back down my driveway. coming back from home depot with 8 bags of cement in the back it felt great though. lol
aired down it's not as noticeable
Would you recommend going light if you had to do it again?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Would you recommend going light if you had to do it again?
It does ride a little stiffer when empty, but you have to look at what you use it for. As I said earlier, mine is almost never 'empty'- I almost always have anywhere from 50 to 100 pounds of work stuff in the back (I'm a house/construction painter) and yeah, loaded for work you could argue it's a wee bit 'oversprung' but add 5 gallons of paint on top of the ladder/tools/dropsheets and you don't notice the extra weight. When my boys and I go exploring for the day or weekend there's a lot of weight between the 3 of us and the added gear in the back- the recovery bag weighs 40 or 50 pounds, there's a jug of water, chainsaw, shovel, axe, cable puller, and a pile of other stuff. Whether there's 2 or 3 of us, I'm really happy with the way the FJ handles out in the bush and wouldn't go back to how soft it was stock.

The OME is quality stuff but it is entry level (with the fairly easy price tag) and there are compromises. When totally empty my FJ does ride a wee bit harsher than stock, but it is a truck and I don't mind the firmer ride (if I'm looking for a car-like ride I'll drive the wife's Mazda CX5- as a side note, we took it wheeling once and it actually did not bad! :LOL: ). And Pyrofreek's comment- remember, he's on mud terrains at slow speed down a (how smooth?) driveway... Al

·
Registered
646 Posts
i went with the medium because i am planning on at least a "hidden winch" front bumper, but will probably end up going aftermarket front and back. i think if you were absolutely certain you weren't going to add any weight it would be fine to stick with the lighter springs, but honestly i got used to the ride really quick and it's by no means uncomfortable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm finally going to put a lift on my 2014. I've decided to go with OME. I see that they have a light, medium and heavy load. I don't plan on adding any bumpers or towing anything, should I go with the light?
I installed a medium duty coil in mine. It is completely stock and I almost always ride by myself. I greatly regret installing it because of how rough it rides and how loud it is when you do something so simple as going over a speed bump….
If I had to do it again I would probably choose another spring or a different setup, however, you might get the 3 inches if you go another route. Message me with any questions or if you want to buy mine lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I installed a medium duty coil in mine. It is completely stock and I almost always ride by myself. I greatly regret installing it because of how rough it rides and how loud it is when you do something so simple as going over a speed bump….
If I had to do it again I would probably choose another spring or a different setup, however, you might get the 3 inches if you go another route. Message me with any questions or if you want to buy mine lol.
Really? Interesting as you say its like stock and makes noise when you go over bumps. I have a stock setup on mine now and it's pretty smooth over any bumps. Did you get the 3 inch lift you wanted? If you had to go another route, what would you go with?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go with light everything. I went medium everywhere even with a front tube bumper but it is a little stiff and eventually switched out the rear springs for icons which are softer and shorter to level the truck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Really? Interesting as you say its like stock and makes noise when you go over bumps. I have a stock setup on mine now and it's pretty smooth over any bumps. Did you get the 3 inch lift you wanted? If you had to go another route, what would you go with?
I would probably opt for something like Fox or Bilstein, even if I dont get the full 3 inches. I did get the 3 inches I wanted, but after a while it settled and lost part of the lift, which I hate. I know those other brands are more expensive but I hope they are worth it, because OME failed to meet my expectations. Better yet, if you are not 100% set on getting a lift, I wouldnt even lift it, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser
6 Posts
My '08 got the OME Heavy 2.5"
I have a winch and platform, soon to be upgraded.
I carry gear and tow at times.
I love the ride and knowing it can handle more is great.
Even with no extra load it rides great and carves up the canyons.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would probably opt for something like Fox or Bilstein, even if I dont get the full 3 inches. I did get the 3 inches I wanted, but after a while it settled and lost part of the lift, which I hate. I know those other brands are more expensive but I hope they are worth it, because OME failed to meet my expectations. Better yet, if you are not 100% set on getting a lift, I wouldnt even lift it, in my opinion.
Good point

·
Registered
86 Posts
Having installed a set of OME springs up front, and tried two different sets out back, my advice would be to choose another brand. If you must use them, get the lightest ones, as they will probably still be stiffer than you need.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts