Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering lifting my FJ(using OME) and am concerned that it might void my premium warranty.If anybody can answer yes or no or atleast give me some insight on this matter that would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Re: OME lifts,will it void warranty

the lift won't be covered....that's it....

Sema.Org
What he said.

One additional note. Toyota will also balk at warranty repairs for problems they may say were CAUSED by the lift. This is a bit of a gray area, and will only effect a few things. Example, CV axles or boots up front, because of the increased angle they will be at with the lift installed. A good shop can tell the difference, and will try to work with you.

·
Registered
365 Posts

x3 or whatever number we're up to by the time this posts... if you change the suspension, it's pretty much common sense what will/won't be warranteed (or what you can expect)... for example, some dealers will conduct all the routine maintenance on your suspension, even if it's aftermarket, some will see that it's not stock and not touch it... as a general rule from my local dealership, they don't do any work on non-toyota parts, which makes total sense.... that being said, the Mag-Moss act protects us from a totally voided warranty... I wish I remember who said it, but the biggest piece of advice I've gotten from these forums with regard to warranty is this. "A warranty means that the company will fix it IF IT IS DEFECTIVE, NOT if you break it".

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Unless if you purchase one with a lift from the dealer most of the time they honor the warranty. However few dealer is doing that worth asking them.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read up. If the dealership can prove the suspension mod caused the failure, then that problem is not under warranty.

For example, your CV joint breaks for some reason. You will have a TOUGH time getting that repaired under warranty if you have a lift.

If your power windows stop working and you have only installed a lift, no chance they can blame the lift on the window failure.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts

Though I don't have it in writing, my dealer said as long as the lift isn't over 3" it is acceptable but anything determined to be caused by the lift is not covered. . . so basically, same as what Layonnn said.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Common sense applies here. As stated above you most likely will not get your CVs covered, but you may get a front diff seal covered, a buddy of mine did.

My dealer SELLS OME lifts, so I bought mine there just for extra peace of mind. They matched the best internet price I found too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks for the help everyone,looks like its time to gain a lil bit more ground clearance.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

my dealer said they expect modifications and will even install lifts and do modifications for you to ensure it is done correctly....but nothing extreme. 3" lift is limit of their liking.....33" tires are their limit as well.
I am building the relationship now and will see how it goes and whether anyone in back is wheeling a Toy or not....they keep technicians separate from customers...so pretty tight operation but getting there. :D

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
To be on the safe side, I had my OME left kit installed by my Toyota dealership, who stated in writing that the installation wouldn't void any warranties of the FJ itself. Obviously, the dealership wouldn't have installed it if there was a potential for damage to the rest of the vehicle.

BTW, welcome to the forum!! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts