Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I know this has been beat to death. However, after reading through days of threads about suspensions, I still need some help...

I have a 2007 FJ A/T 4x4 with 285/70/17 Duratracs on stock rims with a spacer lift and I'm wanting more height and a better suspension. I have a Demello 3 hoop front bumber too. Currently it sags in front and dives under breaking. I drive my FJ offroad maybe 4 times a year, with the remaining 95% on road.

I'm looking at two kits right now.... Both offered at Toytec.

*OME medium front with spacer plate/Toytec rear springs with OME shocks

or

*Toytec Ultimate Coilover lift kit (Toytec coilovers front/Toytec coils rear with Icon shocks)

What do you think I should get?? Help!!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
i suggest you start by searching both setups on the forum. there are tons of threads with a lot of user opinions on each.

·
Registered
954 Posts
for what it's worth, I just switched the front of my truck from the Rough Country top mount spacer to the Toytec coilovers and it has made a very noticeable difference in my ride quality. I have no experience with the OME lift, but I have never heard anything bad about it. As far as the Toytec lift goes, I have only had it on for a very short time, but I am very pleased with it. I do also have a heavy ARB bumper on the front of my truck, so I have the coilovers on the 3" setting with no sag. I wish I could give you a long term comparison, but I don't have that kind of data yet. I am not sure if any of this helps at all, so good luck in your search.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have the OME HD (886s) all around and just can't stand it any more, so i went with the ICONs. I sure hope they will ride better than the OMEs. The OMEs arent bad, I just didnt have enough weight in my rig to utilize them. I am hoping the ICONs will be smooth. So, for what its worth, I would go coilovers but remember you may also need to upgrade the UCAs as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, a couple of you were helpful. It seems like the Toytec is going to be the way to go. I'll end up spending more, but in the long run it sounds like I'll be happier. I've seen a lot of threads where guys had OME and ended up going with coilovers in the front eventually. It also seems like the OME's tend to sag over time, where I've never heard of the coilovers or the rear toytec springs doing this. Am I wrong??

·
Registered
287 Posts
Read my posts in these two threads, it might help explain somethings and help with your decision. I'm also running the same size DuraTrac tires. I ended up doing the Toytec adj. coilover in the frt with the Toytec coil in the rear for a 3" lift.

A lot of this info I got from Ben at Toytec from drilling him with tons of questions. He was very good with giving me informative info that helped with my decision to go with Toytec coils frt and rear. If you decide to go with Toytec give Ben a call directly at Toytec, he will give you a discount for being a forum member.:cheers:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...g-tech/120904-hard-choice_spacers-vs-ome.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...em-bilstein-shocks-springs-advice-needed.html

·
Registered
127 Posts
What is the max lift possible? How do they ride at max lift? Do you run/need aftermarket UCA's? How difficult are they to adjust on the truck? Do you only use a single wrench to adjust the Toytecs?

Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
What is the max lift possible? I believe you can max them out at 3&1/2"(3.5") How do they ride at max lift? ??? depends on if you are running an aftermarket bumper or not/winch or no winch/etc Do you run/need aftermarket UCA's? NO, but I believe it's recommended at 3" or higher. How difficult are they to adjust on the truck? I think it would depend on how tight you run them, ie:height Do you only use a single wrench to adjust the Toytecs? The adj coilovers come with two spanner wrenches to adj the height
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
What is the max lift possible? How do they ride at max lift? Do you run/need aftermarket UCA's? How difficult are they to adjust on the truck? Do you only use a single wrench to adjust the Toytecs?

Thanks
2 wrenches and it sux to adjust on the FJ.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
1) I had Toytec on my Tacoma and it was okay kinda.
2) I have 884s and 895Es on my FJ and I absolutely love them.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
885/895 with the newer nitro shocks and RA stealth bumper.
Seems a little stiff but the kit is still new, <10 miles, and I am also missing a winch up front.
Can't see myself changing them anytime soon and it's sure hard to beat the price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have thought about the OME kit that Toytec sells with the mediums up front and the Toytec coils in the rear. They sell a small spacer for the front with the mediums so it's a true 3" lift in the front, but I worry about sagging with the demello bumper in front. I wish someone sold a 4" lift. I don't mind a little rake, but I want it higher than the current lift of 2-3/8" in the front and 2" in the rear. Right now my front sits 1.5" lower in the front than the rear.

I don't mind doing the UCA's if I go with coil overs in front.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
You're going to find pros and cons for both lifts.

The simple question is, do you want adustable or not. If you do, then go with Toytec, if not, get the OME.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Don't do a OEM spacer if you have a bumper or winch or both cause the stock coilovers cant handel the extra load. mine where shot in a year and a half.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You're going to find pros and cons for both lifts.

The simple question is, do you want adustable or not. If you do, then go with Toytec, if not, get the OME.
Don't do a OEM spacer if you have a bumper or winch or both cause the stock coilovers cant handel the extra load. mine where shot in a year and a half.
Bumping both of these posts. Not a fan of spacers unless you're not doing much off-roading and just going for the look. Don't make it to complicated, either spend the extra cash for an adj coilover or pick up a coil that will serve it's purpose, either way you're getting the job done. Toytec carry's both OME and Eibach coils, both will do the job, but have their little differences on how they perform and serve their purpose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts