Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading through a lot of suspension threads lately to get an idea of what I want to do in the future and this is what I want to know.

When people recommend heavy over medium OME springs, they typically refer to the weight hung on the front and rear of the truck. The accessory list from ARB uses the same criteria for which springs to use.

winch and bumper (70-180 lbs) heavy load - 885 front
bumper and gear - 895 rear

So what about weight that is not on the front or rear of the truck? Say sliders and a roof rack. I've got Demello hybrid sliders and a Bajarack low profile rack with the mesh floor, so I've already got approximately 170 lbs on the truck. Add some more weight for the E rated tire hanging on the carrier out back.

I'm assuming this weight should also be considered when choosing springs. So if I had plans to add front and rear bumpers at some point, I should skip over the 885/895 and look at the 886/896 combo? It makes sense to me, but I'm trying to confirm my thinking is right.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I went with the heavy coils as I planned on adding a bunch of mods...glad I did...

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
All the weight on the vehicle does indeed (or should) figure into your calculations.

My rig is very heavy (you can check out my build - link below) so I decided to go to the (not recommended) Old Man Emu 896 - Heavy Duty Coil Springs (Prado Springs) in the rear.

They are very stiff, too stiff, and I am probably going to put the 895's back on there.

I did however just remove the roof top tent (that will go back on soon) and removed some stuff from the Tuffy box, so it is a bit lighter than usual.

Last weekend I had 2 bags of concrete back there (80 lbs) and it rode like a dream.

The rig was sagging a bit in back, that's why I went with the Prado springs, but I can't recommend them at this time.

Maybe they will settle a bit, or maybe it will ride better when the tent goes back on.

Hey I could just add another 80 pounds back there too.

-

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
The 895s are the standard rear coil for a 2" lift.
The 896s are the heavies for the rear providing a 2" lift (ideal for having a steel rear bumper and cargo most of the time)
The 897s are for if you have extremely heavy loads all the time in the cargo area and heavy steel rear bumper.

I haven't ever seen the 896s not recommended for the FJ (or the 897s if you have a heavy enough rear).

I know MIR207 (Mark) was going up to the 897s in his FJ.

All the weight on the vehicle does indeed (or should) figure into your calculations.

My rig is very heavy (you can check out my build - link below) so I decided to go to the (not recommended) Old Man Emu 896 - Heavy Duty Coil Springs (Prado Springs) in the rear.

They are very stiff, too stiff, and I am probably going to put the 895's back on there.

I did however just remove the roof top tent (that will go back on soon) and removed some stuff from the Tuffy box, so it is a bit lighter than usual.

Last weekend I had 2 bags of concrete back there (80 lbs) and it rode like a dream.

The rig was sagging a bit in back, that's why I went with the Prado springs, but I can't recommend them at this time.

Maybe they will settle a bit, or maybe it will ride better when the tent goes back on.

Hey I could just add another 80 pounds back there too.

-

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Yeah, the front is where they stopped recommending the heavy 886 coils. Have seen at least one thread where a person had a winch and bumper and the 886s basically tore the shock apart and ruined it because they were just too stiff.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Yeah, the front is where they stopped recommending the heavy 886 coils. Have seen at least one thread where a person had a winch and bumper and the 886s basically tore the shock apart and ruined it because they were just too stiff.
Yeah that is weird. I ran the 886s and wheeled pretty often with ARB bumper, Warn M8000, and dual battery and never had any issues for the 30K miles or so i had them on.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
This is just my experience. I had heavies for one trip on my Tacoma. Had the whole family in the truck, plus an ARB, a Warn M8000, sliders, rear swingout spare, etc. I was loaded down and the front was still too stiff and I had to replace an UCA when we got home because of the clunking sound that started on the trip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts