Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking for awhile and picked up lots of useful information and now I have my own issues. I had an OME (heavy/med) suspension put on my FJ about a week ago and know from other posts that the front spring ends should be pointed toward the rear of the vehicle. The passenger side seems correct (and may be contacting the swaybar), but the driver's side is pointed straight out toward the tire. Is this a problem? If it is, how difficult would it be to fix, that is can I unbolt the three bolts at the top (and/or bottom bolt) and turn the strut to line it up or do I need spring compressors to relieve the spring tension. Another problem is that I have seemed to have developed squeak on the drivers side rear. I can push down on the bumper and make it squeak and notice it at low speeds. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix it? Also, I picked up a list of install instructions on another post and I don't seem to have the same parts as those instructions. I was hoping that someone could post a picture of the top mounting for the OME rear shocks or at least tell me if mine are installed correctly. Mine are installed as follows: Nut, metal washer, black rubber spacer, frame, metal washer, black rubber spacer, metal washer. Is this correct for the current OME kits? Sorry so long and thanks for your help.

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
If your driver's side coil is not properly indexed with the bottom of the spring tip facing to the rear, it will likely cause the squeeking noise that you're hearing. An out-of-index coil will also cause some rubbing against your sway bar.

Assuming you're not the one who did the installation, I would return it the shop that did, so they can correct their mistake. They will have to use a spring compressor to rotate the coil into proper position.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Does anyone know would it be ok if you install the heavy suspension before putting a winch on? Already have the bumper but no winch. The winch is going to be a later mod but don't want to spend extra money on the front suspension.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Does anyone know would it be ok if you install the heavy suspension before putting a winch on? Already have the bumper but no winch. The winch is going to be a later mod but don't want to spend extra money on the front suspension.
The heavies are taller AND firmer than the mediums so without the winch weight the lift height may be enough to make it more difficult to obtain proper caster upon realignment.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I had this same issue, sounds like your in a cheap hotel and a few people next door are getting it on...

I have heard of this only on a couple of occassions, most lifts come with spacers that move the sway bar out, or comes with UCA that allow more space. OME is one of the few who doesn't. do not get me wrong I love my OME lift I have Heavy in front and love the xtra support.

mine was located on the right side front (passengers side)...

here are a few pics of the spacer. it is from Sway-a-way (sway bar spacer).
I bought it a 4wparts for 99.00. PN from 4wparts SAW 19920-1

the install was easy. and no more squeek of cheap hotel room bed...

bob

Been lurking for awhile and picked up lots of useful information and now I have my own issues. I had an OME (heavy/med) suspension put on my FJ about a week ago and know from other posts that the front spring ends should be pointed toward the rear of the vehicle. The passenger side seems correct (and may be contacting the swaybar), but the driver's side is pointed straight out toward the tire. Is this a problem? If it is, how difficult would it be to fix, that is can I unbolt the three bolts at the top (and/or bottom bolt) and turn the strut to line it up or do I need spring compressors to relieve the spring tension. Another problem is that I have seemed to have developed squeak on the drivers side rear. I can push down on the bumper and make it squeak and notice it at low speeds. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix it? Also, I picked up a list of install instructions on another post and I don't seem to have the same parts as those instructions. I was hoping that someone could post a picture of the top mounting for the OME rear shocks or at least tell me if mine are installed correctly. Mine are installed as follows: Nut, metal washer, black rubber spacer, frame, metal washer, black rubber spacer, metal washer. Is this correct for the current OME kits? Sorry so long and thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I am running that set-up right now... minus the bumper...

·
Banned
3,593 Posts
if it's in right it wont squeak...or touch the sway bar...or matter if the winch is in yet....but if it's wrong..the sway bar will break...drop...and take the cv boot with it...ask Blackcherry....the front will be a little stiff untill the winch goes on...I know...I did mine that way...and if all is right...the sway bar spacers are a waste of money... ask the trail team.....get it done right quick before things fail as a result...Kurt...... Too dark...can't get you a photo yill morning....pm me if you still need it

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Sorry..........

mine was located on the right side front (passengers side)... drove me nuts for a week and a half until I put in the sway bar spacers.

if it's in right it wont squeak...or touch the sway bar...or matter if the winch is in yet....but if it's wrong..the sway bar will break...drop...and take the cv boot with it...ask Blackcherry....the front will be a little stiff untill the winch goes on...I know...I did mine that way...and if all is right...the sway bar spacers are a waste of money... ask the trail team.....get it done right quick before things fail as a result...Kurt...... Too dark...can't get you a photo yill morning....pm me if you still need it

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good feedback thank you guys I think that I'm just going to do it right and get the medium/medium for now and later when I put a winch on do the heavy front.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. Let's see if I have this right:

1. The issue with the front indexing has to do with the sprint/strut contacting the sway bar. If not contacting there is no issue, correct?

2. My squeek is coming from the rear and the sway bar spacers are for the front. So this shouldn't be my issue, correct?

3. I did note that my one rear spring was not seated the entire way into the seat. As I attempting to loosen the nut at the rear swaybar end, I noted that it would just turn the stud and not loosen (or tighten). Is the stud suppose to be fixed? Could this be what's squeeking? I did get the spring seated, but it still squeeks.

Thanks!

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
I think that I'm just going to do it right and get the medium/medium for now and later when I put a winch on do the heavy front.
I ran my OME "heavies" for several months before I eventually installed the winch bumper and winch. Handled very nice, no problem getting it aligned, and everything was already in place for my bumper/winch when I was ready.

Or, if you go with your plan, the heavy (886) coil springs are all that need to be swapped out (@ $155 each). And who knows, depending on which aftermarket bumper you get, the mediums (885) might serve you just fine.

All-Pro makes one of the lighter winch bumpers (77 pounds). The Warn bumper is one of the heaviest (@200 pounds).

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I've got OME heavies and have no squeaking or rubbing at all. Stock front bumper and no winch either. Take the guy who installed it for a ride and show him the problem, if he's even half decent he'll redo it properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help. I think I have figured out my squeek and it has nothing to do with the install or OME suspension. It seems that there is a bracket left over from the original bumper that was making slight contact with my Warn rear bumper and making the squeek. Bracket removed equals no noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts