Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some input from some of the "Overlanders" on the forum...

The plans I have for my FJ are to turn it into an expedition/trail ready truck. I'm ordering the Metal tech bumper along with the Safari snorkel in a few days. So I'm trying to decide if I should go with the "light", "medium", or "heavies" OME. I know that if I call ToyTec they can give me an idea, but I was looking for some input from people on the forum. Here's the future mods that will take place over 2011, so any input/opinions will be appreciated...

-Metal Tech bumper (Eventually will get winch)
-Bud Built skids
-Demello sliders and rear bumper
-ARB Roof rack
-Roof top tent

Thats what I have lined up as of right now. I have looked over the differences in each suspension set up, I'm just having a heck of a time trying to decide. So once more, any and all input will be taken into consideration.
Thanks,
-Dan

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have mediums front and rear. Arb roof rack and allpro front bumper on the way. I think the mediums will work, the arb and some of the heavier bumpers would be better with heavy front springs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some input from some of the "Overlanders" on the forum...

The plans I have for my FJ are to turn it into an expedition/trail ready truck. I'm ordering the Metal tech bumper along with the Safari snorkel in a few days. So I'm trying to decide if I should go with the "light", "medium", or "heavies" OME. I know that if I call ToyTec they can give me an idea, but I was looking for some input from people on the forum. Here's the future mods that will take place over 2011, so any input/opinions will be appreciated...

-Bud Built skids
-ARB Roof rack
-Roof top tent

Thats what I have lined up as of right now. I have looked over the differences in each suspension set up, I'm just having a heck of a time trying to decide. So once more, any and all input will be taken into consideration.
Thanks,
-Dan
I have read in other threads that people have been discouraged by vendors to put the "heavies" on since they are so stiff. I say go with the mediums all around.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...I think instead of the ARB roof rack I will run with the Baja EXP...but the mediums sound perfect. :cheers:

·
Admin
8,443 Posts
I have the ARB front bumper and M9000 Warn winch on the front.

I've got OME heavies on the front and light on the back.

This is the smoothest vehicle I have ever owned.

On a side note - the OME shocks don't seem to like the -40 weather. They are a bit rougher and make a knocking sound driving over the ruts. Obviously you won't need to worry about that though :lol:

Good luck.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the ARB front bumper and M9000 Warn winch on the front.

I've got OME heavies on the front and light on the back.

This is the smoothest vehicle I have ever owned.

On a side note - the OME shocks don't seem to like the -40 weather. They are a bit rougher and make a knocking sound driving over the ruts. Obviously you won't need to worry about that though :lol:

Good luck.

Well maybe I will get a set the likes cold weather. I've been reassigned to Fort Drum, NY...We shall see. :bandit:

·
Registered
220 Posts
On a side note - the OME shocks don't seem to like the -40 weather. They are a bit rougher and make a knocking sound driving over the ruts. Obviously you won't need to worry about that though
i just put a set of toytec's in this winter and they do the same thing. i thought that the front end was falling apart. had a mechanice look it over and drive it, he said. everything good. i geuss that the toytec's dont like the cold either .

·
Registered
318 Posts
Now that y'all mention it. I do remember when it is below 32 here the rear is stiffer. Once it warms up it's fine.

·
Admin
8,443 Posts
EVERYTHING creaks and groans in this weather, myself included.... lol.

You can't really get away from it.

I would buy OME again.

(ps. NY wouldn't see the cold that we get I don't think)

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
With the list of mods you intend to install...lots of weight...I would use the OME 886 Heavy coil up front and the medium coil 895 in the back...the ride is smooth and this setup holds the weight and retains the comfort.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Have heavies front and back. Love 'em. Have the Tuffy drawers in the back so the heavies in the rear are perfect. Up front the heavies help out w/All Pro bumper and Mile Marker 9500. Go heavy and then no worries on added weight.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
got a question on this myself since i'm planning to go with OME too: if you go with one suspension setup and then change your truck - add significant weight, say - will it be a huge big deal to swap your medium springs for heavies, or make whatever other changes are called for?

i don't know the first thing about suspension, if you can't tell. :D

thanks...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey PlainTiger,
let me know how whatever you go with works for you. Sounds alot like what i'm planning. I just traded my tundra on a 11 cavalry blue. I want to go with the OME but wasn't sure which, I assumed heavy from what I have read because i'm going w/the ARB front w/winch, and expedition one rear. I would like to run 35's ( on the xd addict maybe ) but am not keen on the body mount chop, not not sure if I would have to considering mine will not be going offroad. If I have to I could live w/33's. So needless to say I am open for all advice also...very new to the new Fj's, use to jeeps,scouts,fj40's and classic broncos ( don't hold them against me) but love the possiblities of the FJ's. Thanks for any help/advice from anyone

·
Admin
8,443 Posts
...I want to go with the OME but wasn't sure which, I assumed heavy from what I have read because i'm going w/the ARB front w/winch, and expedition one rear.
I have the heavies in front and have the ARB w/winch and am very happy with the ride.

For rear I just have the light ones because I have no extra weight there yet...

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'am running a similar setup as the OP and have mediums up front and heavies in the rear and the ride is pretty good for OME's. The OME were not my first choice for suspension, but were what fit into the budget.

I have a Aluminness front bumper and a Superwinch up front so the mediums are up to the task on the front end (IIRC the heavies are no longer available for the front anymore?). In the back I have a ARB fridge and Adventure Trailer 2 drawer unit, and on the roof a Bajarack EXP and a RTT. I removed the rear seats and have a large Aluminum box mounted to a Aluminum rack in their place, The fridge/drawers are mounted to it also. All my recovery gear, tools and some camping gear are stored in the box (mostly heavy stuff) and is in the middle of the truck. The heavies are supporting the weight well without being to stiff.

Other things I have installed to the FJ include a full set of Ricochet skids, Toyoutfitter rear lower links and rough stuff mounts, Light racing uca's, Rotopax 1st aid kit w/mount, BFG KM2's pizzacutters (33's) on oem TRD wheels and a dual battery kit. Still figuring out which way I'am going to carry water and extra fuel, looking at the Rotopax system as of right now.

·
Admin
8,443 Posts
One of the OP's original questions....:

When it's time to upgrade to some "heavies", how hard is it to swap out the light ones to heavier ones?

At some point I can see myself swapping out the light ones in the back for some sturdier ones.

Thx.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
got a question on this myself since i'm planning to go with OME too: if you go with one suspension setup and then change your truck - add significant weight, say - will it be a huge big deal to swap your medium springs for heavies, or make whatever other changes are called for?

i don't know the first thing about suspension, if you can't tell. :D

thanks...
No, not a huge deal. All you have to do is pull the coil-overs out, take the mediums off, put the heavies on, and reinstall. Same exact steps as when you originally install the mediums. Assuming you do the install yourself it wont cost you anything, you'll just have to rent a spring compressor again (I think some auto parts stores may loan them for free). If you're going to pay someone, you may want to just go heavies from the start, since whatever you pay for the original install you'll have to pay again (minus 1 or 2 hours since the rear isn't changing). It'll be a couple hundred bucks at least.

Whether you do it yourself or have a shop do it you'll need an alignment both times. If you have lifetime alignments (like at Firestone) it's no big deal, but if not factor in another ~$80 for that.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts

-Bud Built skids
-ARB Roof rack
-Roof top tent

Thanks,
-Dan
I would highly recommend NOT going with the heavy springs as others are suggesting. Stick with the medium springs since our tube bumper by itself is only 14lbs heavier than stock, the winch mount is 49lbs and depending on which winch can vary between 60 - 90 lbs in weight. The bud built skids add at most 60lbs in the front so we are not talking a significant amount of weight.

We do carry OME suspension (I recommend going with adjustable coilovers in the front), Bud Built skids, Safari Snorkel etc and can have it all shipped at once with your bumper to save on shipping.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
No, not a huge deal. All you have to do is pull the coil-overs out, take the mediums off, put the heavies on, and reinstall. Same exact steps as when you originally install the mediums. Assuming you do the install yourself it wont cost you anything, you'll just have to rent a spring compressor again (I think some auto parts stores may loan them for free). If you're going to pay someone, you may want to just go heavies from the start, since whatever you pay for the original install you'll have to pay again (minus 1 or 2 hours since the rear isn't changing). It'll be a couple hundred bucks at least.

Whether you do it yourself or have a shop do it you'll need an alignment both times. If you have lifetime alignments (like at Firestone) it's no big deal, but if not factor in another ~$80 for that.
excellent information - thanks, football! :cheers:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts