Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I have used the search engine, but I still have questions.

Just bought a false 2011 TTSE, and I wish to upgrade the stock soft suspension and truck tires. I "think" I need a 3" lift to accommodate the 285 or 295 GY Duratracs (or Nitto Terrain Graplers).
I have narrowed my lift choices to an Icon Stage 1, or for $800 less an OME lift kit. I know one is adjustable & rebuild able, the other not.
My use for this vehicle is atypical for this forum, as I won't be running the Baja 1000 down here in swampy South Florida. This will be a daily driver, but I go into the Everglades and farms on weekends to hone my shooting skills.
Given the above scenario, would an OME kit give just as good a highway ride as an Icon Stage 1? Would it be just as good in my limited off-road scenario?

Thx in advance.

Jorge

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes I have used the search engine, but I still have questions.

Just bought a false 2011 TTSE, and I wish to upgrade the stock soft suspension and truck tires. I "think" I need a 3" lift to accommodate the 285 or 295 GY Duratracs (or Nitto Terrain Graplers).
I have narrowed my lift choices to an Icon Stage 1, or for $800 less an OME lift kit. I know one is adjustable & rebuild able, the other not.
My use for this vehicle is atypical for this forum, as I won't be running the Baja 1000 down here in swampy South Florida. This will be a daily driver, but I go into the Everglades and farms on weekends to hone my shooting skills.
Given the above scenario, would an OME kit give just as good a highway ride as an Icon Stage 1? Would it be just as good in my limited off-road scenario?

Thx in advance.

Jorge
I love my DuraTracs and they are really quiet compared to any MT's on the market. I also just added the Sway-A-Ways and I bought them for an upgraded ride quality. In many situations, the SAW's are better, but highway is not one of them. I think the reason is because I am not running a front swaybar. I will add it back this week just to see the difference. I think for the extra $800, the reason why they are worth it is many because they are adjustable. The OME kit is probably plenty good enough though.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Depends on your usage... Adjustable are nice, but I don't know of anyone when they are off-road stopping to make any adjustments...

With the tire sizes you are considering you will have to do the body mount chop for sure and you may want to consider regearing or your gas mileage will be in the pits plus performance...

Mud tires such as MT or BFG KM2s are super tires, but they are soft rubber treaded and wear quick in highway use.

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Yes, you will need a lift.

If you are ever going to get an aftermarket front bumper and/or winch go with the adjustable coilovers.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Yes, you will need a lift.

If you are ever going to get an aftermarket front bumper and/or winch go with the adjustable coilovers.
Not trying to be argumentative, but most non adjustable spring providers will match front springs with projected load (bumper/winch). It all boils down to what your wallet can afford...

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
500 Posts
With the tire sizes you are considering you will have to do the body mount chop for sure and you may want to consider regearing
Not trying to be argumentative either :p, but you don't HAVE to do the body mount chop with 285's (with a lift of course) which would make it an easier project for you. 295's and you'd want to do the chop.

For the re-gearing, I ran 35's for over 20k miles and my truck was fine (I've re-geared since then, but just saying it's possible). with 285's you'll be more than fine without a re-gear. Not saying it would be wrong to re-gear but those words would scare the sh!t out of me if I was new to the forums and people were already telling me to drop $1700 on new gears just to move up 2" in tire size.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not trying to be argumentative either :p, but you don't HAVE to do the body mount chop with 285's (with a lift of course) which would make it an easier project for you. 295's and you'd want to do the chop.

For the re-gearing, I ran 35's for over 20k miles and my truck was fine (I've re-geared since then, but just saying it's possible). with 285's you'll be more than fine without a re-gear. Not saying it would be wrong to re-gear but those words would scare the sh!t out of me if I was new to the forums and people were already telling me to drop $1700 on new gears just to move up 2" in tire size.
Thanks for all the comments.

My inclination is towards an Icon Stage 1 with 285 Duratracs.
The original question of OME vs. Icon Stage 1 for my intended use is still out there, lurking.

Jorge

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks for all the comments.

My inclination is towards an Icon Stage 1 with 285 Duratracs.
The original question of OME vs. Icon Stage 1 for my intended use is still out there, lurking.

Jorge
Personally, I went with the OME setup. It was fine before I went with stiffer springs (886's) Once the stiffer springs were on it felt like CRAP, and I mean horrible. I have since ordered a pair of ICON coilovers. I'd say go with the ICON stage 1 just because these OME things have turned into such rusting POS. Make sure you get the extreme weather plating option if you live in places where they use salt a lot.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts

On the regear and body chop I was thinking 295's. I'm running 285s with no problems and no body chop. I'd bet running 35's without regearing hit the mpg pretty heavy. :) I definately wouldn't want to do that on a daily driver with a long commute!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
500 Posts
On the regear and body chop I was thinking 295's. I'm running 285s with no problems and no body chop. I'd bet running 35's without regearing hit the mpg pretty heavy. :) I definately wouldn't want to do that on a daily driver with a long commute!

cheers,

dale
:rofl: Yeah 12 hour drive to NC for a regear and some other stuff hit the wallet :boohoo:

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Yeah, but driving an FJ is worth it! If I didn't spend my $$$ on the FJ I'd just blow it... :)

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
7 Posts
I beat myself up for months over this very same subject. I'm a 80/20 on road off road guy, and still like to play rough once in a while. I just ordered an OME lift. I'm being realistic about my use and old school reliability w/ome. I'm gonna put 285's on stock rims and just enjoy it. Best of luck on your decission!

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
regarding the regearing....i ran 35x12.5's under a 6" lift for 30k miles, and had no real problems...i say "no real" b/c the only thing i lost was the use of my cruise control..other then that, it was good to go...NOW, that beind said....i have regeard, gone to a bigger tire, more lift, and have still no issues...not in my cruise control or anything

1 - 13 of 13 Posts