Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, panicking a little here. 07 FJ 4x4 Auto, purchased in December with 30k miles, now I have 37k on it. No problems, nothing. Decided to change fluids.

Replaced fluid in rear diff, front diff, and transfer case with Mobil 1 LS 75w90. Went for a test drive around the neighborhood and guess what? After I shift into low, I can't get it into another gear. I can get it out of low, into the neutral spot, but then can't get it back into high or low. The gears just keep spinning and spinning. Tried twice and had to cut the engine both times to get it into gear.

Is this due to using Mobil 1 LS? Are the limited slip additives causing the transfer gears to continue spinning? HELP!!! Don't bash me, the Mobil one was one of only a few choices available that I could find (that or Royal Purple which I don't trust). I was in a hurry since the rear diff went swimming last weekend and I didn't want to wait for oil to ship to me.

Do I need to put something else in the transfer case? Is the oil in the transfer case the problem? Do I need to replace the rest of it too (will LS additives cause problems in the rear and front diff)?

AAARRRARAARGGHHHHHH SHHHHHHAAAAAATTTTTTTT!

Can't believe I wasted hours just to screw things up. Thanks for your help. BTW, I did search but couldn't find anything about LS or this problem.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
The fluid change shouldn't have caused the problem since the shifting mechanism is not hydrolic.

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Don't shift into and leave the transfer case in neutral. Shift quickly from 4Lo to 4Hi, you will experience grinding EVERY time if you stop in neutral.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Do you have your transmission in NEUTRAL and do you put your transfer case in gear with force and good enough speed. You kind of have to JAM it into whichever gear you want whether it's going into 4 low or back into 4 high. You should be able to get it into 2 high easy enough. Good luck.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both times I had no problem going into 4-hi, only 4-lo. I didn't pause, but did shift slowly/smoothly. I would hope you don't have to jam it into gear. My style was the same as all other times before changing the fluid; before, it would sometimes 'catch' just a little as I shifted, but this is gear buzzing/whirling at such a speed I'm afraid I'll break off teeth.

Getting ready to head to the store, I'll see if it happens when warm. And make sure I'm shifting quickly enough. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Slowly smoothly has always made mine grind. My Land Cruiser is the exact same way (but only selection is 4HI or 4LO.) If you shift slowly, grinding always.
c
By quickly i mean it should be roughly 0.25-0.50 seconds to shift (this is regarding 4HI-4LO shifts only) 2hi-4hi is not an issue at all.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Both times I had no problem going into 4-hi, only 4-lo. I didn't pause, but did shift slowly/smoothly. I would hope you don't have to jam it into gear. My style was the same as all other times before changing the fluid; before, it would sometimes 'catch' just a little as I shifted, but this is gear buzzing/whirling at such a speed I'm afraid I'll break off teeth.

Getting ready to head to the store, I'll see if it happens when warm. And make sure I'm shifting quickly enough. Thanks!
Let us know how it turns out. Hope all is well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have described my issue regarding TC locking up in neutral on an 07 MT. At this time Toyota Corporate has asked my dealer as part of the trouble shooting process to completely replace the oil with a different type. Let it set 6 hrs, test drive/test and do again and let set for 24 hrs and drive/test again. Will find out Monday what the results are after the 24 hr set. The first test could not recreate problem. Apparently they are aware of past issues with some oils causing issues. This is all after they replaced the TC and did not fix problem. I'll keep you posted as to what oil they suggested when I know more and if it really solves problem.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Thought you had to bein neutral to shift between hi and low, Maybe it's park for going to low range, You can't have it gear thought. Only in gear for 2hi to 4 hi

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think by neutral he meant on the transfer case lever - there's an N before you get it fully into low.

To UPDATE everyone: ok, I'm a noob and I panicked. I can say that it shifts as it did before. I guess I was being too slow/cautious the first time out after the fluid change. I can also verify that if you stop (in the neutral position) between 4lo and 4hi, it WON'T go into gear! Stopping or going way slow will cause the issue I experienced. But a firm yet smooth shift will get it right into gear as expected.

I guess this is one of the idiosyncrasies of Toyota/FJ 4WD. I'm just learning this beast :wave:

Tmcanall, let us know what they say about fluids. For the record, my other car is a Subaru 5MT and it has a finicky transmission so I know about quirks. Just any old high dollar synthetic won't work well in it; use a blend of Redline Lightweight Shockproof and Motul Gear 300.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Told ya ;)

And yes, you need to be in neutral with the transmission, i was referring to neutral of the transfer case though as i figured the transmission being in neutral was a given.

BTW, you CAN still get it into gear if you pause in neutral, its just going to grind. Not gonna hurt too much as long as you don't do that all the time.

You are also fine using 75W-90 ( i believe) in all, front and rear diff, and transfer case. Im running Royal Purple in all three.

I think by neutral he meant on the transfer case lever - there's an N before you get it fully into low.

To UPDATE everyone: ok, I'm a noob and I panicked. I can say that it shifts as it did before. I guess I was being too slow/cautious the first time out after the fluid change. I can also verify that if you stop (in the neutral position) between 4lo and 4hi, it WON'T go into gear! Stopping or going way slow will cause the issue I experienced. But a firm yet smooth shift will get it right into gear as expected.

·
Registered
276 Posts
First time, I did the same thing and experienced the Terror/shame/embarrassment all rolled into 1.

Nice daily reminder of how quickly I can lose my cool.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I had 2008 4x4 auto and replaced my rear end fluid with the Mobile 1 LS 75-90 at 30K and no problems. Went another 32K before getting new FJ and no issues with the gears.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Far from expert advice but are we only supposed to use a regular gear oil 75w-90 and not one with limited slip additives. maybe the additives are creating to much friction. Please correct me if wrong so I know better

1 - 15 of 15 Posts