Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

After long last, it's time to start my FJ build thread! Right off the bat I wanted to thank all of you, and especially @ZerosFJ , @bazross , and @Iconic_ , for allowing me to bombard you with questions throughout the past year, giving me very valuable insight, and sharing their opinions on what I should (and shouldn't) do!

THE FJ

Top/Bottom: The day before it was loaded onto a ship in Nagoya, JP / Arrival in Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

The base of the build is a RHD, 2017 Black FJ Cruiser “Off-road Package”, which lived its first 2 years rolling around Gifu in Central Japan, driving a total of 9000 miles. For those not familiar with the JDM models, they were offered in three different packages: Base Package (4WD, No R-Diff Lock, No ATRAC), Colour Package (4WD, No R-Diff Lock, has ATRAC) and Off-road package (4WD, R-Diff lock, ATRAC, and CRAWL Control in the 2014+ models). Apart from the standard comfort options (Parking package, Steering wheel controls, etc.), my one also comes with the optional wire heated front windscreen - not sure how well this will actually works for ice, I'll update next time I'm in frost! Sadly, no rear windscreen wiper though.

I bought my first FJ in December 2019 (2015 Colour Package), sold it in June 2020, and bought my new FJ in May which got plated in October 2020. My now very large pile of parts I amassed pre-Covid at a shipping consolidator in Daytona, FL, after many delays, finally arrived just before Christmas - a year in the waiting to get started on this.

Panasonic battery completely died on the boat over, a Nissan Leaf was around the help out.

THE MODS

In general, I plan to install as many of the mods as I can myself, although for a few things I’ll probably bring it in to a shop for fitting. I am definitely new to car modding, but quite handy with a wrench so I hope it all pans out. I’ll go documenting my work as best I can and will update this with photos/videos.

Here’s a list of all the parts I’ve got so far, in no particular order, and the installation status:
  • ☐ ICON Delta Joint Tubular UCA’s
  • ☐ ICON Extended Travel Remote Reservoir Coilovers w/CDCV
  • ☐ ICON V.S. 2.5 Series Remote Reservoir Rear Shocks w/CDCV
  • ☐ ICON Overland Series 3” Heavy Duty Coil Springs
  • ☐ Metal Tech Rear Links (Upper & Lower)
  • ☐ ARB Airlockers + ARB Compressor
  • ☐ Ricochet Skid Plate full set
  • ☐ Rear Diff guard and Rear Arm Guard (Japanese producer)
  • ☐ MBRP 2 ½” Cat back, Off-Road Tail
  • ☐ Expedition One Trail series Front and Rear steel bumpers (Single hoop front, no swing rear)
  • ☐ Expedition One Trail series rocker guards
  • ☐ WARRIOR Fender Flares
  • ☐ WARRIOR Side Panels
  • ☐ WARRIOR Rear Corners
  • ☐ Lexus GX460 Heated and Cooled front leather seats (Black leather)
  • ☐ AIRRAID Air Intake 510-302
  • ☐ Spidertrax 1.25 Wheel Spacers
  • ☐ WINSWORKS JP Rear ladder (wedged to allow rear window to open)
  • ☐ Offroad Garage Snorkel kit
  • ☐ AMI Locking Fuel Door
  • ☐ Raptor ECU tune
  • Dasaita MAX10 10 Inch Android Headunit
  • ☐ Greyman Tactical MOLLE Rack (Passenger side map holder)
  • ☐ Orange Box MOLLE folding table and trunk boxes
  • ☐ OEM Heated Mirrors
  • ☐ IPCW LED Tail lights – Platinum Smoke lens
  • ☐ AJT Black Aluminium A/C Knob set
  • ☐ Rhinorack Pioneer low profile roof rack
  • ☐ Dirty Parts dual battery kit
  • Ellis Precision Knob Set
  • ☐ Iconic_’s Recovery Points
  • ☐ Toytec Bump stop
  • ☐ Aftermarket front turn signals from HeadlightsDepot
  • ☐ HEL Performance brake lines
  • ☐ Russel Speed Bleeders
  • ☐ Custom Speedo Cluster print
  • Custom Steering wheel
  • 285/70/R17 Goodyear Duratracs (E Rated)
  • TRD 17” Matte Black alloys
  • ☐ OEM Wing mirrors with light
  • Black Door handles OEM
  • ☐ OEM Inclinometer (mine came without)
  • Lumawerx LED headlight kit
  • ☐ PIAA 6” spot lights
  • ☐ PUREFJ Backup Camera Cover

I hope you guys enjoy reading through my eventual progress (y)

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

While waiting for the rest of my parts to arrive from the US, I received my custom steering wheel from Russia. I used standard black Plastidip (4 layers) on the trim pieces, which I think turned out pretty well.

I was a little worried handling the airbag being the first time I had disconnected one, so I ended up leaving the car for about 30 minutes with the battery disconnected just in case hah.

Turned out fine, just have to pop the two little plastic trims on the left and right hand side of the wheel (under the wiper/indicator lever), loosen the two support bolts, and wiggle the airbag free from the wheel, then just remove the two electrical wires (first red, then black). For ref. when putting it back together, the torque spec. for the central steering wheel nut (in the manuals I have at least) is 50Nm.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Given the UK is one of those places where they throw as much salt on the ground as possible during winter even though we get around 1 day of snow in the south every 5 years, the first stop was getting a very thorough professional Dinitrol treatment by South West Rust Proofing based in Westbury.

Above is before the treatment, and the first time I had seen under my FJ / Below after treatment.

Really can’t fault them at all, they did great work on the FJ and I’ve seen some results of what they’ve done with some balls of rust on wheels that they receive – highly recommended for any UK based people.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The FJ came with a JDM Headunit which was unusable, so for upgrading I went with the “DASAITA MAX10”, a Chinese android headunit which comes with both wireless android and apple carplay.

I went with them for two main reasons:

• I read many very positive reviews about their product, including “1 Year Later” reviews on youtube which showed it working as fast as on day 1 – this can’t be said for the majority of brand I found online
  • They produce their head units integrated into a whole new faceplate, which give it a flush OEM look.

Installation was not fun, and I ended up leaving it to an audio shop as whoever installed the last aftermarket headunit in Japan put down a crap load of wires in a huge bundle, buried deep into the dash. They ended up removing a large cardboard box of cables, with everything from cheap car alarms to TV aerials on the other end.

I’ve been using it now for a couple of months, and can only recommend it – great price and works flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
14'FJ, Bilstein 6112/5160, SPC UCA's, Spod BantamX, 285 70 Toyo AT3, DD SS3 Max fogs, BD LP6 pros.
302 Posts
Welcome!

That is one hell of a parts collection! Have fun, enjoy the process.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today the FJ got a new pair of shoes!

I went a place where you go when not a single shop will guarantee they won't damage your brand new alloys, as you can see the FJ had very good company in the garage with a 80's 911 Gembalia and a couple of McLarens :D

Contrary to what I've probably read 50 times, 285's do indeed rub with stock suspension - going to need to replace all of it ASAP

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking better! Assume you will sell the stock wheels? I made good money on both wheels and tyres (split them to take out the tpms sensors).
Ah crap, I completely forgot to tell them to stick the TPMS sensors into the new tyres :LOL: Guess I have to make my way back there. The TPMS can be reset to adjust to a larger tyre size right? I remember reading that somewhere.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
🤣 Don’t recall that you need to adjust for tyre size, it just measures pressure. Mine are in a box somewhere... really don’t need nannies!
Fair enough, why risk shop damage to the new alloy for a feature I won't use anyway lol - I'll just take them out the old tyres before I sell them (y)

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,995 Posts
Don’t forget to do the hack to get rid of the light or it’s MoT failure

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Loving this, the steering wheel looks top notch.
Thanks! I had the steering wheel made by this Russian vendor, 250 GBP with shipping to UK included and you can choose stitching/finish. He even had an option to have a heated steering wheel for like 50 quid more, but I figured the wiring was going to give me nightmares 😅

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick evening job to change out the door handles.

It was a simple enough job, took about 10 minutes to change them out. I did manage to break the plastic gasket on the door while taking out the drivers side handle somewhat too vigorously, for anyone else who needs to order a new one, that's part number 69241-35030

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rainy days and life getting in the way of more mods! Only managed to change out my headlights these days

These were really easy to install - just unplug the lightbulb, pry off the rubber boot, put in the Lumawerx lightbulb "holder" with the white arrow pointing up, stick in the lightbulb aligning it with the white arrow, and then stick the boot back on + plug in. Didn't even take 10 minutes including unboxing.

Results were great! Looks so much better at night, although this photo doesn't really do it justice at all.

Theres a small secondary bulb in the housing (still yellow) which for the life of my I couldn't pry out, will need to look that up 😅

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Headlights look amazing, where did you get the upgrade from?

Possibly interested in updating mine.
I got it from this company:

However, I'm not sure if they ship directly to the UK, I saw on the lumawerx.com website that they have quite a few distributors across the US so chances are someone is able to send over a kit.
Reason I got it is because in theory it was designed to mimic the light scatter pattern of the original bulb in its housing, but not sure how much of that is marketing lol. I'm however very pleased!

I couldn't justify today getting a retrofit build for the headlamps considering the cost, but if/when these die I'll probably do that.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,995 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts