Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
That’s so cool!

@Hotfuzz let me know if you need a ladder to go with that I have a new one needing a home!

Thanks for considering me, it is so tempting, I really need to sit on my hands as I will end up buying everything!

At the moment I have to decline but thanks anyway.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Finally managed to get the new roofrack on today, went with a Rhinorack Pioneer Platform + backbone system.

This thing was a pain to install compared to the OEM rack if I'm honest, people weren't kidding when they say you need small hands and a lot of patience to fit some of the bolts 😅

First things first I had to take off the OEM rack - this was really easy, just a matter of loosening the bolts. When I lifted off one of the feet though, I found a mummified bug which made its way over from Japan 😂 Must've got stuck in there at some point, it made one hell of a round-the-world journey with my FJ lol.

The backbone system: it was easy enough to bolt on, I used Butyl Rubber sealant as recommended by a few people on here. No complaints so far, apart from this stuff is MESSY.

Assembling the rack and mounting it was a real pain - turns out that the platform itself isn't designed for the FJ, so you need to drill 6 holes into it. Not that big of an issue, still something I would've preferred not to have to do on a $1300 roofrack...

Here's the template for where the holes need to be drilled:

You need to fit the rack onto the roof via the rails as shown below, fitting the nut into the rail and fishing the bolt through to it while at the same time rotating the fastner was realllllyyy annoying:

End result with the wind fairing is really nice though, so was well worth it all!

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Wow they don’t put the holes in the right place! That’s not what I would expect for the £. Lloks good, does look to sit close to the roof than the Front Runner.
The instruction manual was for another car, and it suggests going on their website to get a more accurate one - when I saw the drill page I thought they’re screwing with me lol

In theory its the lowest total-height rack easily available for the FJ, I looked all over with the goal to fit in as many garages as possible 😅

21 - 26 of 26 Posts