Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm sure this may have been asked before but the search function didn't yield anything too relevant. I'm looking for the best gps I can find for use both on and off road and was wondering what other forum members opinions on this were. Originally, I was going to pick up a Lowrance 540c Baja but its price and large size (I don't plan on getting rid of my rear view mirror to mount gps) have deterred me. Any help here would be great cause I think Amazon may be having a GPS sale. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I use a Garmin GPSmap 76CSx both in my vehicle and in the bush. I has all the features of the car mount GPS (It does not talk to you, it beeps as you approach a turn) and all the features for travelling through the bush. I had to purchase a vehicle mount for my FJ (it comes in a package with a power line that plugs into the FJ) and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I use the Garmin Colorado. You can get the base model and buy a ton of maps for it like streets (it comes with a general street map but the upgrade has all the POI's and other features your standard nuvi-like GPS has) and topo. You can also buy the colorado with topo maps pre loaded but it takes up space on the internal memory. I love mine - I use it for wheeling, hiking, geochaching, and turn-by-turn directions. It's small, waterproof(99%) and easily mounts in your car. Check it out: Garmin Colorado

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I use the Kenwood 8120 double din that runs garmin software. You can run the garmin topo maps on this unit, but I don't. For the topo and trail GPS I'm using a Garmin 60CSx. I've ordered an external antenna and vehicle mount but I'm still waiting for it to arrive. In the woods, the garmin is a nice deal.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Are any of the Nuvi systems capable for offroad navigation?
Yes. You can get topo maps for the Nuvi as well, on an SD card. But surprisingly, I have found that most of the trails and backcountry routes I use here in Alberta, the Nuvi is already familiar with. The only roads I have come across on occasion that are not on the Nuvi are private roads. I have even listed a trail report on my last run in the Crowsnest area and this entire route was already in the Nuvi's database.

I have the Nuvi 350. :)

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
We wrote up 'portable' units in the last issue of FJC Magazine. We're working on 'in dash' units for the October issue (Although we'll discuss the Lowrance Baja). I currently use Legend CSx, but if I were going for inexpensive + portable, I suggest the 60CSx + either custom topo's or Garmin Topo 2009.

Someday I'll have the 8120......

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Are any of the Nuvi systems capable for offroad navigation?
Yes. You can get topo maps for the Nuvi as well, on an SD card. But surprisingly, I have found that most of the trails and backcountry routes I use here in Alberta, the Nuvi is already familiar with. The only roads I have come across on occasion that are not on the Nuvi are private roads. I have even listed a trail report on my last run in the Crowsnest area and this entire route was already in the Nuvi's database.

I have the Nuvi 660, and as the Canuck says you can load Garmin's topos on it, but Garmin's topos are only 1:100,000 scale which is not much detail on a topo, I much prefer the 1:24,000 scale of the standard 7.5 minute paper sheets. Where I have been off-road with mine so far (TX, NM, CO) the Garmin topos show everything down to dirt county roads but no 4WD trails that are not at least a county road.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

CanadaFJ, was your unit preloaded with the the maps or did you have to download what you wanted onto the maps?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
CanadaFJ, was your unit preloaded with the the maps or did you have to download what you wanted onto the maps?
The unit comes preloaded with all of North America. I found that so far, all the backcountry roads that I have been on have shown up on the installed maps. I also work in the patch and have found that most of the roads used by the various petroleum companies are on the standard maps as well. Although private roads, such as the quick roads used to access well sites, do not show up on the unit, nor would they as most of these roads are created on the fly with a 'big cat'. :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The unit comes preloaded with all of North America. I found that so far, all the backcountry roads that I have been on have shown up on the installed maps. I also work in the patch and have found that most of the roads used by the various petroleum companies are on the standard maps as well. Although private roads, such as the quick roads used to access well sites, do not show up on the unit, nor would they as most of these roads are created on the fly with a 'big cat'. :)

Thanks CanadaFJ. I asked this because even though my GPSmap 76CSx came with some maps I also purchased MetroGuide Canada v4 (on CD) and the topo map (SD microchip) for Alberta. I now see you can purchase Rocanda Western Canada LSD Map (SD microchip) which is supposed to include all rural roads...but it is a bit pricy at $260.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts