Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! :D

So I am looking to add on board air to my rig, but I need something I can mount that will be out of sight. I was thinking either in the engine bay or inside where the jack is located usually. It will also need an attached tank, because I will be using it for a horn as well as for tire inflation. I have a horn from a CSX train that I will be installing. :rocker: My budget will probably be around $300-$400.

Thanks so much in advance for all the suggestions!!

·
Banned
2 Posts
WOW Man all those visits and NO relies! Not cool. I have done on board air a few times and the best system I made was obtaining what I think is a single stage pump from a Hummer H1. it was located under hood on dead truck and I installed it under but in a semi protected area under a lifted ford truck. It worked great for a few years but water got to it too many times and pump failed.

Another was to use an ARB pump. This was a much smaller unit and handled the weather longer than Hummer pump. It also locked both differentials. Cant go wrong with either type of setup but put it in a weather protected location as you said you to do.

Rt now a have a Smittybuilt pump and its power off clips to battery and lives inside truck. Cost was about $170.00. it has inflated many large tires when needed and has lasted a long time.

Any of these setups are solid if pump stays weather protected. Having on of these pumps inside the cab of truck would be very loud inside and I would avoid doing that and create or locate a suitable mounting location. Under hood sounds reasonable.

$ Wheel Parts Warehouse has one inhouse made by Kleinn model 6270. It hase a semi small pump, tank, and some misc. air hose and attachments- I THINK?

Good luck! Being able to air up and down at digression is a good deal...….

·
Registered
4,205 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
Thread resurrection? Ok, I'll play.

First off, Google is wonderful for searching this forum... that's going to be construed as a di&khead comment I'm sure but it's very true and has helped me help myself time and time again here.

Secondly, PowerTrays and Bandiworld are the (2) leading engine bay mounts in my opinion. Your choice just really kind of depends on if you're running a dual battery system. I've owned both and they are equally amazing in terms of quality.

Pics...
1) Google search = "fj cruiser forums", then search words
2) PowerTrays setup with Off-Grid Engineering dual battery
3) Bandiworld mount with tank option...Viair 1gal tank below ARB compressor

Attachments

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Yeah, if you keep your engine bay at clean room standards, that’s a suitable place for the compressor. Otherwise, the cabin may help prolong the compressor life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yeah, if you keep your engine bay at clean room standards, that’s a suitable place for the compressor. Otherwise, the cabin may help prolong the compressor life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well, these photos of the clean engine bay are not necessarily how I run on a daily basis. It's a very common spot for a bunch of us here in CO actually. I keep an eye on the ARB filter. The compressor body itself doesn't see much contamination from the elements in either location. I'm more worried about the cheapy switch failing me in the engine bay first.

Heat soak would be my biggest concern but time will tell. I need all the cabin room I can get and interior just isn't an option.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Put it wherever the heck you want my friend. With some custom fabrication anything is possible. Putting a $520 compressor in the engine bay was out of the question for me. Plus I've seen them get so hot after a day of wheeling in Moab and thermal shutdown once you try to air up tires.

This is a 2 gallon tank and ARB dual compressor stuffed between my drawer, fridge and seat. Completely unusable space otherwise due to the angle of the back seat. This air compressor can fill up multiple tires before a cheap compressor can do one. Just sayin. :wink

Attachments

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
From the standpoint of long-term reliability, the engine bay is probably the worst possible place to locate a compressor.

The primary concern is operating temperature of the motor's wire insulation, with the compressor already being preheated (140F to over 200F) before you even turn it on.

Most quality compressors will have a thermal cutoff that reduces the chances of immediate catastrophic failure due to gross overheating, but high insulation temperatures will inevitably reduce motor service life.

The secondary concern is the near 100% humidity in the engine bay during rain or after a water crossing, ultimately resulting in internal corrosion, bearing contamination, etc.

Mounting the compressor somewhere in the cabin eliminates both of these risks, as well as greatly improving the quality of the compressor's inlet air. Compressor noise is a non-issue because after 4-wheeling in terrain rough enough to require airing-down, I'm typically outside the vehicle while the compressor is running, checking for tire damage, suspension problems, debris caught under the vehicle, coolant and oil levels, etc.

Mounted on the sidewall over the jack compartment, and not extending past the edge of the wheel well, the compressor doesn't really take up any "usable" space in the cargo bay.

·
Premium Member
12,710 Posts
Forget the on board air compressor and go with a Co2 tank.

Its mobile, run air tools, nail gun, cheap to fill, won't overheat, low maintenance.

·
Admin
7,511 Posts

Its mobile, run air tools, nail gun, cheap to fill, won't overheat, low maintenance.
Meh.

I'm not a fan... I don't like having things run out.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts

I did both... Installed an ARB when i started wheeling then got a Co2 tank. ARB serves as backup now or to help others that don't have a compressor when we do initiation runs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From the standpoint of long-term reliability, the engine bay is probably the worst possible place to locate a compressor.

The primary concern is operating temperature of the motor's wire insulation, with the compressor already being preheated (140F to over 200F) before you even turn it on.

Most quality compressors will have a thermal cutoff that reduces the chances of immediate catastrophic failure due to gross overheating, but high insulation temperatures will inevitably reduce motor service life.

The secondary concern is the near 100% humidity in the engine bay during rain or after a water crossing, ultimately resulting in internal corrosion, bearing contamination, etc.

Mounting the compressor somewhere in the cabin eliminates both of these risks, as well as greatly improving the quality of the compressor's inlet air. Compressor noise is a non-issue because after 4-wheeling in terrain rough enough to require airing-down, I'm typically outside the vehicle while the compressor is running, checking for tire damage, suspension problems, debris caught under the vehicle, coolant and oil levels, etc.

Mounted on the sidewall over the jack compartment, and not extending past the edge of the wheel well, the compressor doesn't really take up any "usable" space in the cargo bay.
You basically typed what I was thinking exactly haha. Mounting the tank across from where the subwoofer is and the compressor underneath where the stock jack and stuff is.

And to everyone saying to use google before asking questions, this forum has been around since 2006. That’s 12 years. Info gets outdated or new products come out. You could ask the same question once a year and get a different answer each year. So it never hurts to re ask a question that was very well answered a few years ago. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an extreme outback magnum. Just had Chitown 4x4 design a bracket and had them mount to the frame right behind my exhaust pipe. They installed a breaker, relay and wired the relay to my spod. The air outlet disconnect comes up to my MetalTech rear bumper. Works great, aired up after their fall Off-road 101 outing. Went from 26 to 40 psi in 285 70 17 tires in less than 2 minutes per tire. Beat waiting in line for the single pump at Badlands, Attica Indiana. I will try get some pictures soon of the pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts