Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 10 minutes after leaving the FJ event,which was a first class affair :D ,I passed a Jeep Liberty. It appeared to be about the same size as the FJC. Compared the specs on the Jeep Liberty http://www-5.jeep.com/vehsuite/VehicleCompare.jsp , check it out yourself. The dimensions are very comparable.The FJC is slightly larger.The price of the liberty is in the 20's just like Toyota said the FJC would be.Unfortunately Toyota won't sell the FJC for close to invoice and give you a $2500 rebate like Jeep will.Too bad that I'm a Toyota freak,it is very tempting to stray over to Jeep.But remember Toyota, if you don't keep the FJC price competitive,some of the "Flock" might graze elsewhere. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
86 Posts
You can get the Jeep Liberty in Dallas starting out at $17,995.00 (without rebates) If I remember correctly. And Jeep has a Liberty diesel too...

·
Registered
109 Posts
You will get a better deal on the Jeep but drive both. FJ hands down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How can anything compare to Jeep Rubicon?

The Rubcion Jeep is the most capable off road Jeep in history (stock). How could FJ even come close? It doesnt sound like its going to have a locking front axle or the heavy duty gears? Also, many will want a soft top on the FJ. I love Toyotas and in fact have a Landcruiser and I will probably buy a FJ off road version if they come out with one. My reasons are that they are a better fit for everyday use-but to compare it to a Rubicon Jeep-seems crazy.
Having went on the last Rubicon run in a Jeep-if I were buying a rig to primarily off road-I dont think a FJ (stock) could compare. It would compare evenly with a stock Jeep-but if you folks ever get chance to off road in a Rubicon Jeep you will be AMAZED..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I 100% agree that Toyota is superior to Jeep.I own 4 Toyota products including a Toyota Epic 22 ski boat http://www.epicmarine.com/ I just wanna try to keep the FJC at a realistic price,say mid 20's for a well equipt model with most of the available options. I have read posts of up to 35k (posts not Toyota)for a loaded FJC,If so ,might as well buy a discounted 4Runner.In January,according to Toyota rep at Greenville,Toyota will announce prices,no more second guessing then---Respectively TC

·
Registered
233 Posts
Re: How can anything compare to Jeep Rubicon?

noshow said:
The Rubcion Jeep is the most capable off road Jeep in history (stock). How could FJ even come close? It doesnt sound like its going to have a locking front axle or the heavy duty gears? Also, many will want a soft top on the FJ. I love Toyotas and in fact have a Landcruiser and I will probably buy a FJ off road version if they come out with one. My reasons are that they are a better fit for everyday use-but to compare it to a Rubicon Jeep-seems crazy.
Having went on the last Rubicon run in a Jeep-if I were buying a rig to primarily off road-I dont think a FJ (stock) could compare. It would compare evenly with a stock Jeep-but if you folks ever get chance to off road in a Rubicon Jeep you will be AMAZED..
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the comparison to the Jeep Liberty? Does Jeep make a Rubicon Liberty? Base mrp on the Rubicon Wrangler is $28,125.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts

Slab said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the comparison to the Jeep Liberty? Does Jeep make a Rubicon Liberty? Base mrp on the Rubicon Wrangler is $28,125.
please add in the maintenance requirements of them there jeeps - leaky leaky....

now back to the fj photos.......ohhhh......mmmmmmm.....ohhhhhhhh.....

cig

·
Registered
99 Posts
not to mention jeeps(especially the liberty's and grand cherokee's) extraordinarily fast depreciation.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts

Slab said:
Maybe without any additional options - I think my price when I built one on the Jeep site was over $36K!

I live in Vegas, where people will steal anything not bolted down. I have four friends with Jeeps and each of them has a soft-top (It is 140° all summer) and each one has been broken into. They simply cut the plastic window and steal what's inside. Personally, I like that the FJ is not convertible. I also like what I have heard from people who have had the amazing opportunity to drive the FJ like Jordan! Each of them has had nothing but WONDERFUL things to say about the FJ.

I think, if you are really torn between the Jeep and the FJ - go buy a jeep. That way, you can go torment some jeep forum somewhere and take your FJ negativity with you! Plus, I won't have to hear you whine when your HEEP takes a crap.

I cannot wait to get the FJ. Toyota took a rubicon with them on the FJ Rubicon voyage and the report from that is that the rubicon had to be towed out! So, all things considered - I don't care about an IFS front end - nearly EVERY baja team utilizes IFS and Toyota DOMINATES that scene. If it's good enough to run Baja, catch air, and survive - it's plenty good enough for me. To be honest, if I were building a "rock-crawler only" kind of rig it would be an early bronco with a solid axle swap, a gigantic 8 cylinder engine and dana 60's. I'm not into walking rocks with my vehicles - I am into exploring trails and disappearing in the woods. I like to get there first. I don't think the FJ is going to have any problem accomodating my needs. For the price and the pain in the ass - you can keep your jeep.

Just my two cents... :cool:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Jeeps are great rental cars. I rented one in Mexico and did whatever I wanted and didn't worry about the fact that it would need a new transmission once I turned it back in. Hey if jeeps were so great why don't they use them as rental vehicles in the states? I did love the way the Jeep was able to off road and the soft top but at the end of the trip I was happier not being the owner.

I can't get over the fact that most jeep forums and trail logs basically document the break downs and MacGyver ways of limping off the trail. I'm really not anti jeep, I almost went that route but everyone that has one say I love it...... but. You guessed it, "its not reliable" now I have no clue how to work on vehicle to the extent needed for out of the ways trip to Death Valley hence the need for a reliable vehicle.

Jeep does get credit for keeping the market alive until other companies got around to meeting the demand. Oh yeah a car dealer I met once had a cool diesel hummer for sale, I figured that this was the pinnacle of off road performance and asked him about it, now this is a dealer, that was trying to sell this vehicle. He flat out told me he would not off road the thing because it was not reliable, notice the theme unreliable vehicles no matter how appealing or modified are lacking the most basic component. Kinda like a Ferrari with no gas.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm totally with you. My brother had a cherokee - granted it's not a wrangler and jeep lovers love to point out that the wrangler is the only "REAL" jeep. But, that being said - cherokees are known for having cooling issues. I work with a lot of jeep owners who love to brag up their jeeps. Most of them have had at least one fairly major maintenance issue in the last year. These are all fairly new jeeps. Of all the Toyota owners I know - the most major thing done has been an oil change.

I gather that 4x4's are like motorcycles. Huge motorcycle enthusiasts generally preach all Harley doctrine - but look at the poker runs and the long rides - there are always AMPLE chase trucks because half the harley's aren't going to make the entire trip. I heard once for every hour you ride your harley, you will work on it for 10. I suppose the same is nearly true of 4x4's. If you want to drive it, get a toyota. If you want to wrench on it, get a jeep.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Funny thing the last place I though I would see a jeep used was as VIP armored transport. Just the thought of adding an extra 2 thousand pounds and driving real fast in jeep. I mean common how long they would need to follow you down the road. I'm glad they added the option "Gas Tank - Anti Explosive protection" so as to defeat the stock exploding jeep gas tank. :)

An unnecessary option "Escape oil discharge" has been included standard since as long as I can remember, this feature causes the pursuing car to drive through an oil slick enhancing your chances of escape. I think many Jeep users accidentally leave this feature turned on while driving to their dismay.

Here is the after market armor company, hope they feature a FJ w/ options I could only dream of.

http://blackarmor.com/Car_Material_Specs.htm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts