Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well finally finished instaling my Viair onboard air system with 2 1/2gal tank and dual battery.I also made a bracket for the quick connector that is mounted by the trailer hitch.I can air up all the tires using a 25' coiled air hose.The air system is also able to run my impact gun fine using short burst.I used the Viair heavy duty air kit with the 400c compressor,It is able to fill my stock tire from 0 PSI to 40PSI in 2 min with the air tank allready charged and from 20PSI to 40PSI in about 1 min.All in all i am happy with the finished outcome.I was unable to find a dual battery voltmeter that i liked so i used 2 small ones made for motorcycles with a momentary switch for both.I also installed another fuse box on the passengers side like other members except i am running everything off my main battery so no matter what i allways have a fully charged battery to start if need be.Let me know what you guy's think.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nice work... I am thinking about putting my battery and air gauge's in the same spot... looks good!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used the BFT battery box.I made the plate that it bolts to.I didn't need to drill any holes during the dual battery install except for one for the reposition of the electrical rect on the drivers side.I used the painless dual battery isolator kit with the solenoid.If you are going to do this mod get ready to get to know your FJ more than you ever wanted too.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
whered you get the gauge? I want it. It is for air pressure in your tank right?? I need one that goes up to 200psi.

·
Banned
463 Posts
That area behind that tank is screaming for some airhorns :D. I've been contemplating doing this for a while. Which Painless dual battery kit did you use? I think there's a waterproof one and just a regular one?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Very Nice install.....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guy's!!!!
The air guage came with the kit and i am using the painless waterproof kit.I was also thinking about a skid plate but after wheeling with it the way it is for a while i think i don't need one.As for the train horns i am planning to mount a set in front the space in the back where the air tank is i am going to make a fresh water tank to hold 15 gal to run to the hot water shower kit that i will be installing soon.If anyone has questions about the install feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Well finally finished instaling my Viair onboard air system with 2 1/2gal tank and dual battery.I also made a bracket for the quick connector that is mounted by the trailer hitch.I can air up all the tires using a 25' coiled air hose.The air system is also able to run my impact gun fine using short burst.I used the Viair heavy duty air kit with the 400c compressor,It is able to fill my stock tire from 0 PSI to 40PSI in 2 min with the air tank allready charged and from 20PSI to 40PSI in about 1 min.All in all i am happy with the finished outcome.I was unable to find a dual battery voltmeter that i liked so i used 2 small ones made for motorcycles with a momentary switch for both.I also installed another fuse box on the passengers side like other members except i am running everything off my main battery so no matter what i allways have a fully charged battery to start if need be.Let me know what you guy's think.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-tech/42683-onboard-air-dual-battery-mod.html
Does anyone know if this battery/compressor mount was a one off or if was ever produced on a large scale by anyone? I ran into this thread by accident and this the nicest dual batt mount I have seen. If you know of some others, please add a link to your response, thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I made this myself out of 3/16 steel plate.It mounts to the existing holes in the finder,So no drilling.I was thinking about starting making a kit for anyone that wanted one but figured that people wouldn't be interested.Thanks for the kind words about the install.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Nice jon on the install, it looks great!!!:cheers::rocker:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I made this myself out of 3/16 steel plate.It mounts to the existing holes in the finder,So no drilling.I was thinking about starting making a kit for anyone that wanted one but figured that people wouldn't be interested.Thanks for the kind words about the install.
I really like it, great work. I still think it needs some support from the fire wall or side wall of the engine compartment. The fender well just can't support that kind of weight under really rough conditions. Did you draw anything up that you want to share or are you interested in making another?

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Nice work.

I would like to make a general comment regarding dual battery system circuit layouts. When you hook all the accessories up to the main (OEM) battery, and leave the auxiliary battery as a reserve, you can run into a problem should you drain the main battery below cranking voltage. When you use the reserve battery to "jump" the main battery, the main battery will act as a capacitor and absorb a large portion of the "power" available from the reserve battery, preventing the charge from reaching the starter and starting the vehicle. I suggest you hook most high current circuits to the auxiliary battery, leaving the stock battery alone to start the vehicle, instead of becoming a blockage between the reserve battery and the starter.

Food for thought, before you set up all your auxiliary circuits...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts