Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to say how truly great this vehicle, the Fj is. I am proof that we are all driving one tough truck... So heres the story...

Memorial Day weekend my husband and I went to mudfling with the Fjbruisers, he recently has returned from Iraq, hasn't wheeled much in the last 3yrs. I was I must say a little optomistic being in the passenger seat while he drove, with that being said.. We decided to go on a night run with two other Fj's we wanted to try out our new 32" LED Light bar, we were voted to be trail leader (no one wanted to be in front of our truck with those lights)... We had went through almost all of the trail headed back to the road with no problems. We had to do a two part river crossing right at the end. He headed into the river. I knew it was going to be deep hence you couldnt see the botom. I yelled at him to go to the right whice is the way we went in the river earlier that day, needless to say he went to the left... God only knows what he was thinking. He swears he was looking at the trail straight ahead, I on the other hand never saw it. He put us right into a 5ft hole, I imidiatley turned the truck off and we sunk to the bottom.. water started rushing in. Our windows were down whice helped. Water was up to our necks inside the truck.. We have a 5" lift as well I should add.. so you know the water was deep. Nat jumped out and Dave and him hooked up the winch without a thought... didn't hook it up properly but in the heat of the moment you just go off of pure adrediline... AllPro hitch is a little bent now.... So the truck was under water total for about 10 minutes... Ryan has a 9.5 warn xp that's one tough winch as well it pulled the Fj out of the river almost completly summerged.
We got the truck towed to Steven's Toyota located in harrisonburg va, a bunch of really good guy's over there. The following daywe went and drained all the fluids. We had about 3 gallons of water in the oil pan but it wasnt mixed which is the best news. Turning the truck off was a good thing to do. We had to replace the two main computers which are located one under the glove box the other by the fuse box, which set us back a few dollars. But the Fj wasnt a total loss. We have had it back now for almost a week with the only problems being one it still stinks like river water and two the airbag light is still on, but probuablly a simple problem to fix.
our next mod is rewiring the computers to the back enclosed in a waterproof case.... So props to the Fj its truly one unbeliveable truck...

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
OMG! Pics?

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Sarah WTF! We leave you alone with Nate for a run and you wind up to your ass in water. Glad everything turned out well for you. I guess it's better than upside down after a rocket launch of a jump. Are you going to make Maine in September? We're actually meeting for a pre-run in 2 weeks. It'll be great to have some of the crew together again for some madness. Get some air fresheners for the rig and take a look under the floor mat and make sure there are no fish stuck under there.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

Just kidding!

Wow! What a story!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
That's some story!:rocker: Pics!!!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Yikes. What a nightmare. I'm glad you guys got out ok. Smart thinking on turning off the motor immediately. Pics!

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Glad you made it out ok. How did the light bar work?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Crazy Sarah and now Crazy Nate.
Glad you guys are okay. Looks like you should invest in some Wet Okole seat covers :jester:

Airborne.....check :bigthumb:
Submerged.....check :bigthumb:

You've got your flying license, and now your scuba license.
What's next!

AmityFJ

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
So is it the Xmitter from Vision X... the 32 in. lightbar? If so, how do you like it. I'm still considering one of those. I've read great reviews, but havent talked to an actual owner to see how the product is holding up on the trail. Got any pics?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So is it the Xmitter from Vision X... the 32 in. lightbar? If so, how do you like it. I'm still considering one of those. I've read great reviews, but havent talked to an actual owner to see how the product is holding up on the trail. Got any pics?
Yes it is. We love it. It's almost like driving the trails during the day but at night. And as far as holding up on the trail its holding up great. Its got billet alluminum housing, it would really have to take a direct hit to hurt it.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
:jawdrop: whoa - Dude - glad you guys are OK - :)

-

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Nice. Do you have any pics of it on your rig? I'm curious to see how it looks up there. I'm guessing sweet. I'm thinking about getting a shorter version and sticking it on the top bar of my FF bumper. Still not sure if I'll ever end up putting lights up top.... well, someday. I gotta chill on the spending for a while. :lol:

·
Registered
499 Posts
wow... this is amazing. hows the interior? need new seats? radio still work and such?
great move turning off the engine too, great to hear you guys acted so fast and got it out right away.

Looks like you should invest in some Wet Okole seat covers
:lol:
i suggest the dehumidifier mod :)
it just pleases me to say that

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sarah WTF! We leave you alone with Nate for a run and you wind up to your ass in water. Glad everything turned out well for you. I guess it's better than upside down after a rocket launch of a jump. Are you going to make Maine in September? We're actually meeting for a pre-run in 2 weeks. It'll be great to have some of the crew together again for some madness. Get some air fresheners for the rig and take a look under the floor mat and make sure there are no fish stuck under there.
hey how have you been. Ya I can happily say it wasn't me driving this time. You know how my liscence plate is Rod-Reel we are going to make a liscence plate cover that says U.S.S Rod-Reel:rocker: I would love to get together with the crazy gang again soon but those computers set us back a few dollars ya know, but if it all can work out I may just have to drive up there, being its really around my neck of the woods. At the end of next month I plan on moving to Kuwait to be with Nat so money may be tight for awhile.

Sarah

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice. Do you have any pics of it on your rig? I'm curious to see how it looks up there. I'm guessing sweet. I'm thinking about getting a shorter version and sticking it on the top bar of my FF bumper. Still not sure if I'll ever end up putting lights up top.... well, someday. I gotta chill on the spending for a while. :lol:
there is one with it mounted on the truck while we were in the river, none unfortuantly with them on at this time. But I have Matt's email the guy over at VisonX and if you mention Nathan's name he may be able to help you out a little.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts