Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I learned why Ricochet recomends putting anti-seize on the skidplate mounting bolts. First bolt I tried to remove from my stock engine skid, broke right off! Besides the issue of removing the broken bolt, any suggestions on how not to break the rest? I'm currently spraying the crap out of them with PB Blaster/WD40.

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re: Oops!

Thanks for all the input guys:rocker: I got the other bolts out and the engine skid on minus 1. Now the question is do I try to easy-out the broken bolt or drill it out and re-tap it? If I break the easy out I'm f*$#!. On the other hand I've never tapped a hole. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
7,575 Posts

Many bolt supply houses will sell L/H drill bits. Sometimes these will grab and walk the broken hardware out. If not then try a srcew extractor in the hole you drilled. I like the tapered spiral type. Plus some heat may help to expand the metal around the hardware. At least that works much of the time on our aircraft.

I don't suppose you can get at the back side with a pair of Visegrips? Or are these into the frame itself?

Good luck Rick.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for the suggestions. I just afraid to break off the extracter in the bolt and no, of course you can't get to the backside, that would be too easy:rofl: I'll keep you posted. Oh, just to add insult to injury, the bolts for the tranny skid plate are the same ones that hold on the catalytic converter protectors and two of them are buggered up from previous undercarrage carnage! ":It just keeps gettin funnier, every time I see it......"

Rick

·
Registered
3,957 Posts

Ain't wrenchin fun!
Yep breakin the carbide bit drilling the hole for the easy out adds just another level to the PITA factor.
But take your time and don't rush it and it'll come out.

·
Registered
524 Posts

Heat really does help to get bolts out...or just re-drill and tap to the next size...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts