Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to throw an invitation out to anyone interested in joining us for some wheeling in northern lower michigan. I'm heading up tomorrow or monday and some other guys are heading up later in the week for the weekend of the 4th. I know a lot of you are heading to the TT event that weekend, but you'll be spending much more time on the trail... with a smaller group up in MI. That means more wheeling!!! My cabin is outside of Grayling MI on the AuSable river. PM me if interested in coming up this week, or any other time for that matter. Take care everyone, and have a great weekend regardless of where you wheel! -Jacob

·
Registered
322 Posts
Bump. I can't wait. Really looking forward to some time away from work.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
You guys should hit up the dunes at DNR - Silver Lake State Park Information while you are there, it is a blast! Though over the holiday weekend it is going to be crazy busy.

I would invite myself along as i have yet to see an FJ in action on the trail in person, but i am flying rather than driving up for the 4th and have a bunch of family obligations.

Have fun on your trip!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wish you could come! There is actually a guy from VA who is driving up here as we speak. I've been meaning to hit the dunes for a while. Maybe we could make an event of it? I've never wheeled with other FJs either... I can't wiat!!! so excited! Found some great trails last night. If you get some time away from the family, call my cabin and maybe we can pick you up for a run. 989-348-8174. My name is Jacob... leave a message if I'm not there. If I don't hear from you, have a great trip!!!

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
if its on a weekend, its a huge possibilty for me and family( 2-3 quads, 2 boys, wife, trailer and an fjc). i've always wanted to visit silver lakes before i become completely in-love with soutnern california.
i'll be watching this thread closely. thanks. :cheers:

checked out my schedule for the whole summer...i down for a group wheeling on any weekend!

·
Registered
322 Posts
We had a great time. One of us will get photos up very soon. Thank you again Jacob for everything. Can't wait to do it again.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Thanks for the invite, though by now you know i was too busy to get away. Glad to hear you guys had a great trip! I did as well, though there was no wheeling involved.

Lets see some PICS!

Speaking of pics... if anyone is interested check out my photobucket album for some pics of me on the Silver Lake dunes in April of this year. Nothing spectacular as i was alone and had my 2 year old with me, but it might give you an idea of what its like up there.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was really a ton of fun! Thanks for coming up guys! Definitely going to be doing this as often as possible. I'm free to go up anytime since I'm not working at the moment, so if anyone is interested in heading up, just let me know. I got an ORV/off road map of the entire state and was stoked to see that the biggest "scramble area" in MI is like 40 miles from my cabin ( St. Helen Motorsport Area) and another one is about the same distance to the north. I'm going to spend some time scoping out various trails and play areas so I can put together a few runs. That way we won't have to spend time exploring and we can go right to the good stuff!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the invite, though by now you know i was too busy to get away. Glad to hear you guys had a great trip! I did as well, though there was no wheeling involved.

Lets see some PICS!

Speaking of pics... if anyone is interested check out my photobucket album for some pics of me on the Silver Lake dunes in April of this year. Nothing spectacular as i was alone and had my 2 year old with me, but it might give you an idea of what its like up there.
Nice pics! I'll be checking that spot out ASAP! Let me know if you want to come along.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, here are a few pics from our run on Friday and some of the Dunes and sand pits near my house. The photos don't really show it well, but some of the stuff was really steep. Combine that with deep soft sand and truck swallowing holes and it made for some nice challenging lines. Biggest factor is keeping enough momentum to keep the truck floating on the surface.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My cabin is very close to Bull Gap, St. Helen motorsport area, and less than a quarter mile from the Army National Guard Tactical Maneuver Training Area that is full of Tank and Humvee trails. Terrain varies from large sand bowls and steep dunes to thick black muck and deeply rutted Two tracks full of large moguls. Just good fun wheeling. Very little risk of damage to the vehicles like when you are playing on rocks all day.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Jacob, I can't wait to head back. If you are back in OH give me a shout!

·
Registered
439 Posts
This was a great run and I believe a great time was had by all.

Thanks to everyone.

Toledo- This area has potential for not only small groups but with all the campgrounds in the area you could actually design a large gathering. Organize it enough in advance and you might even convince the Trail Teams guys to make it to the event as well.

Beautiful area, great folks, a wide variety of trails, plenty of dirt.
I had forgotten how much fun sand was.

I'll look forward to getting up there again.

Take care and stay safe.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Nice pics! I'll be checking that spot out ASAP! Let me know if you want to come along.
Thanks, though they really don't do it justice. Access will run somewhere around 40-50 bucks (state park day pass, ORV sticker, and dune flag), but its well worth it IMO. there is camping at the state park as well, and if you are feeling really adventurous Michigan's Adventure, an amusement park, is less than an hour from Silver Lake. its not quite up to par with Cedar Point, but still a pretty good time none-the-less.

Ill be up in Michigan sometime in the beginning of august, provided my leave gets approved. Ill be driving this time and will probably make it up there sometime while I'm home. If you are going to be up in the area drop me a line and we'll make a day of it.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Sounds like a plan, when i know the dates for sure i will let you know!

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
just a heads up for anyone who might be interested, i will be in Michigan from 7 to 18 August and plan to hit the Dunes at least once while there if anyone is interested in coming along. Details can be found Here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts