Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to do this so I can escape out the back when camping.

Page WW-38 and ED-48 of the online manual show how to remove cover

This location is important so that the rod can have free movement but eyeballing from pic will work.

Drill large enough for movement of rod. We will enlarge it later.

This is a 16' piece of Aluminum rod. This one is 5mm but 3/16" is good. I had this laying around but I saw it at the local hardware store. Pretty common. If anyone lives close I have plenty of it.

I tapped it so as to put a light switch knob on it but any press-on type thingy you have laying around will work. Be creative. Drill a hole in a button.

Tapped a light switch knob just to make it fit better.

Not sure where this grommet with a hole in it came from. I collect things like this in parking lots etc. But it acts as a guide for the rod through the sill. Also pictured are the light switch button and two (one would work) "wire rope clips" P/N 9414855 from OSH 2 each 3/16" I recommend these.

The 16 inches is necessary.

Looking up, inside and under the door cover

Shave off even a little more than what the pic shows.

BEFORE drilling, with rod in position, replace door cover as much as you can with enough room to reach in from the bottom of the cover and push the rod up against the cover so as to make some sort of mark for the drill spot. You might even ink the rod tip first. This is important because of the space between the sill and cover. After you drill in the plastic, go back and make the metal hole larger so that the plastic hole does the guiding and for less chance of rod rubbing the side of the metal hole.

Added the clamps and a spring (found one, probably another parking lot or it could be off my FJ40 clutch now that I think about it.) The spring isn't vital but provides a nice secure feel to the action.

closer

closest

I like the plastic back on for the same reason it was put there in the first place. What that is, I'm not sure:)

Fit the cover back on over the rod. Slide grommet over.

Cap. You don't need it to operate the door but it looks cool.

There are other options: Mount a solenoid to the elbow of the existing bar and wire it to your rear window two-way switch (Swiss's mod) Use the small square section of the door cover (seen in pic #7) opposite the area where I put the wire rope clips (the one that appears useless) and install a lever attached to the existing rod.

Attachments

·
Banned
92 Posts
I like it the way it is...I remember hearing about one guy who had subs in the back of his FJ and gear, the thieves broke the rear window trying to get in, set off the alarm, didn't have time to go AROUND to actually get in the vehicle to steal the stuff.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Good idea, I am asuming you tied into the latch with a rod of some sort. Very cool!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea, I am asuming you tied into the latch with a rod of some sort. Very cool!
You are correct sir. Just edited the original post. Check it out!

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Very Kool Idea, It was a pain gettin in and
out while sleepin' in it on the trail... TY...

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very Kool Idea, It was a pain gettin in and
out while sleepin' in it on the trail... TY...

:bigthumb:
Thanks. It's probably a safety feature too.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nice job!

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Silly, question... Will this open the door even if it is "locked" and not able to be opened from the outside?

I've been pondering just such a mod since I have been looking at the rear compartment as a sleeping area recently. This looks pretty clean. I was picturing having to attach a cable with a ball toggle to pull.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Very creative idea. Rep 4 you. :bigthumb:

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Nice job, very clean. :)

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Someone asked if this will open the door if the door is locked. I am not sure of the answer, but if it will not you can add a switch to the back door as outlined in a thread by WESAYSO. The switch connects to the circuit that the key opperates from the back door. THis way you can pop the locks then open the door, all from inside the back door.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Someone asked if this will open the door if the door is locked. I am not sure of the answer, but if it will not you can add a switch to the back door as outlined in a thread by WESAYSO. The switch connects to the circuit that the key opperates from the back door. THis way you can pop the locks then open the door, all from inside the back door.
This is exactly correct. The door DOES have to be in the unlocked condition. And wesayso's switch is the way I went.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I was picturing having to attach a cable with a ball toggle to pull.
Actually the opening motion is downward so the cable pull wouldn't work unless you accessed from below or fabbed a rocker pivot.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I wonder how much Toyota would have priced this vehicle if they would have put in all the little mods that we all have?

Cya

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
damm! very good write-up the fj does'nt have an emergency escape lever or switch or something from the inside!!! this is one of those things you call. you just never know when you need it most. :rocker: :rocker:

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Great idea. I needed it about 4 months ago. I have a fifth wheel that I carry the FJ in. I got it loaded but had to close the back door. I normally leave the window open, but somehow it closed. I spent about an hour in the truck waiting for the wife to finally come looking for me. Duh. This will be done over the weekend.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts