Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the moment there are not too many options available for mounting a winch in the original bumper. Since I'm based in Saudi Arabia, the few options available were well out of reach. So I decided to design a winch mounting bracket myself. The taking of the measurement took several weekends before fabrication started. As it was quite some work to get a proper fit, I want to share this knowledge with the rest of you. The drawing was originally made in Autocad and was updated "as-built" after completion of the installation. It will fit as is, but I hope to see improvements published (that's why it's open source). Anyone wanting the cad file, pls send me a message.

A couple of notes:
The entire bracket is fabricated from 6mm plate, so no additional braces or brackets are necessary. The fairlead is on top of the bumper with two metal spacers (no ugly cutting of holes). The AC line only needed to be bent very very slightly (nothing to be upset about). The bottom bumper mounting brackets were trial and error and need design improvement. Some bolts on the inside of the bumper were rubbing on the bracket and need trimming. A small notch was taken out of the bottom plate to allow operation of the clutch (shown in one of the pics).

The setup was tested in the mighty Rub Al Khali (aka Empty Quarter) and proved sturdy and effective

·
Registered
299 Posts
A couple question...

How do you access the plug for the controller?
How much does it weigh?
Can you send the cad drawings to [email protected] ?

I think this is a wonderful design, and I am willign to spend some time working on it with your permission.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Wonderful work! Looks great! The only suggestion I would have, is, being from upper central part of the US. (As other parts of the world) we have a lot of rain and snow.
You may want to add a couple of holes for drainage on the ends....

Other than that, LOOKS GREAT!

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
A couple question...

How do you access the plug for the controller?
X2 I would think it would be pretty hard to get to the plug.

Do you have a wireless winch controller?

How is the fairlead bolted to winch mount?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, thats correct, the ironman winches come with a wireless controller as standard. However, I tried to plug in the manual controller reaching in between the grille and the rediator, and was able to plug it in. Obviously the control box could mounted in a different location if required.

Weight of the bracket is around 20-22kg.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
You have a very nice looking design. well done Sir. Have you done any research on the effect of the airbag system?

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
very clean job well done

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
You have a very nice looking design. well done Sir. Have you done any research on the effect of the airbag system?
Air bag system is based on deceleration not on impact.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
So how does this perform, any videos or reports? I got the file (thanks so much!) and got the steel. Ready to slice and weld. Just want to make sure its going to support the torque.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts