Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
It's been I year since I visited this thread, has anyone actually built one? I'd love to see it installed on other FJ's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just found this today and am interested in building. o don't have cad software, but could you just email me pictures of the cad drawings (I know it's in op but I can't save off my phone for whatever reason) thanks

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Very nicely done. I see some vendors are unscrupulously considering your design, you so kindly provided. What about the airbag deployment sensor switches?

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Just found this today and am interested in building. o don't have cad software, but could you just email me pictures of the cad drawings (I know it's in op but I can't save off my phone for whatever reason) thanks

[email protected]
I'd be willing to model this for you in SolidWorks, but some of the dimensions on the drawing are hard to discern where the leaders stop. I could model all the parts separate and provide an assembly, so you could create CNC laser tool paths of the parts. I would consider refining the design with a notch & tab fit so you could more easily dry assemble for test fit-up and self fixturing for final weld. Since this was published freely, I would also provide the any 3D models for download. I could also consider an aluminum version, which I could optimize with FE analysis. PM me if there are some interested parties. GL

·
Registered
114 Posts
Very nicely done. I see some vendors are unscrupulously considering your design, you so kindly provided. What about the airbag deployment sensor switches?
Airbags don't use bumper mounted sensors, they are accelerometers mounted in the cabin, So changing/modifying the bumper doesnt affect them. However, changing/modifying the bumper can alter the crumple zone and affect the amount and distribution of damage in a crash.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I did crate the Solid models of the parts and assembly of this design (image below). if others are interested further I will run the FE analysis on the current steel design and if practical look at an aluminum version? :smile

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
How far is your fairlead recessed behind the silver trim? Would it be possible to bolt the fairlead on the outside of the plastic or is the mounting plate too far recessed?

·
Registered
58 Posts
How far is your fairlead recessed behind the silver trim? Would it be possible to bolt the fairlead on the outside of the plastic or is the mounting plate too far recessed?
The fairlead is nearly flush with the silver trim. Only about .080in recessed. I would have preferred the fairlead to be flush and mounted on top of the silver trim as you are saying. In this instance, I was too far along by the time I found that wasn't the case. I didn't have time nor energy to want to back track to solve this. (Its hard to find time with a 1.5yr old)

For mine if the cheek plates and base plate were lengthened .750in it would meet up near perfectly behind the silver valance.

I have debated about machining a slightly over sized fairlead a bit thicker with a lip that would extend the face over the valance to accomplish this look but thats a job for winter when I cant be wheeling.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My compliments to the OP! This looks fantastic.
Is this a one off project? For those of us in Saudi, any chance you might be interested in replicating this amazing work?

Thanks

FJFJFJFJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there, keen to get a copy of these acad drawings but the open source link seems to be dead ?
Wondering if anyone of you kind folk that have a copy would be able to forward it on?
I'd like to have a go at this type install and the starting point this would give would be a great help
Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and inspiration for this project. This looks just perfect for what I need. What thickness of steel did you use for the various pieces? Could you please send the acad.dwg file to me at: [email protected]
I will post all details of my progress of the project with any modifications needed. I will also take into consideration the comments that have already been made such as adding the drain holes etc. Have you actually used the winch to any capacity to know how it behaves structurally under load?
Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
10,959 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and inspiration for this project. This looks just perfect for what I need. What thickness of steel did you use for the various pieces? Could you please send the acad.dwg file to me at: [email protected]
I will post all details of my progress of the project with any modifications needed. I will also take into consideration the comments that have already been made such as adding the drain holes etc. Have you actually used the winch to any capacity to know how it behaves structurally under load?
Thanks,
John
G'Day john,
Just sent you an email with the dwg file
Good luck,
cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is beautifully done! Congratulations! I have wanted to do this ever since I bought my FJ. I would love to have the design. Any way I can get that from you?

Condor

·
Premium Member
10,959 Posts
This is beautifully done! Congratulations! I have wanted to do this ever since I bought my FJ. I would love to have the design. Any way I can get that from you?

Condor
g'day Mate,
I can email you the dwg file but, you need 5 posts before you can pm me with your email addy.
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

41 - 60 of 81 Posts