·
Desert Moderator
6,208 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Hope everyone has been able to get has hands on the Cad file. Anybody apart from "easystreet" built one?

I mounted the fairlead in front of the plastic valance using two square steel spacers and longer bolts. If you cut the rectangular and two bolt holes a bit oversize, the bracket doesn't start pulling your pumper apart.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
That look really great, looks like you had all the parts CNC cut. I only had a Philipino fabricator with a cutting torch and a steady hand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A couple of notes:
The entire bracket is fabricated from 6mm plate, so no additional braces or brackets are necessary. The fairlead is on top of the bumper with two metal spacers (no ugly cutting of holes). The AC line only needed to be bent very very slightly (nothing to be upset about). The bottom bumper mounting brackets were trial and error and need design improvement. Some bolts on the inside of the bumper were rubbing on the bracket and need trimming. A small notch was taken out of the bottom plate to allow operation of the clutch (shown in one of the pics).
For the folks asking about the thickness of the plate steel used -- here's the OP's statement.

For the person who asked if anyone would be interested in the aluminum solidworks version -- I would :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am going to attempt to do this. As an added strength to this you could use 5 inch angle and bolt parts on the underneath. Which is what I am going to do as if I weld this myself my welds may not be 100% all the time.

Will post when im done.

·
Registered
47 Posts
OP what about having a full piece running from either part of the frame in the back?

I was thinking you could make brackets that come off the front tow hooks bend to slightly angle forward and bolt up through the tow hook. This would easily compensate for any weak spots in the build.

If you don't need to use your front tow hooks or if you wanted to make it a non hidden winch like the US offroad with shackles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got it all tacked up built to spec I noticed there is quite a bit of tolerance to the drawing. I had the rails in and when i measured the bottom plate to fit in it measured 877 on the back inside and 879 on the front inside. Meaning cut to fit and needing 1/8" longer plate than in the drawing.

I tweaked the rails and loosened the back bolts which are 12mm x 1.25 thread pitch btw. and the plate at 870 fit almost perfectly and it I had to make it fit because its all i had. So if anyone is following the drawings you should order 1" longer on most pieces. the frame plates you can cut out of the plate you get for the rails.

will post when I get it ready for welding. Thoughts if this could support a hi lifting at the front if you decided to have a non hidden winch?

·
Registered
47 Posts
fitting it turns out the horizontal piece fit at 43 3/8" there was about 1/8 of undercoating sprayed on that accounted for needing that extra 1/8. so the horizontal is fine at 43 3/8.

update: I got it welded and fitted up. I added two pieces of angle on the bottom and drilled and tapped and bolted it together as well. Angle was welded underneath. I think this helped me more to put it together so it didn't misalign but I believe the bolts will add some shear strength to this. used grade 8 bolts.

next thing is to buy the winch im really looked forward to it thanks a lot for this thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would love to get this cad file. My best wheelin buddy won a winch at the Sd 4 Wheelers raffle and we need to build a mount. This one looks like the ticket. Please send to [email protected]. Many Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
About to install the winch and see how it fits up. One thing that is for sure is the rails can be an inch higher. This would allow to put a second bolt or pin into the frame or make it that bit stronger having a thicker throat where it goes up and connects with the horizontal. However the design definitely strong enough.

You could use 3/8 plate for the rails and gusset the corners to add tow hooks as well. Will post up when its complete in a few days.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mounted up and fairlead installed. Took a lot of patience to cut the opening with lack of tools. Grinder wouldnt do it completely because its so narrow had to use a hack saw and some holes on either side all i had was a multitool and it was useless.

The fairlead opening was 1 7/8 x 7. Now to test it out and see if i can skid my tires. Thanks for the plans and i hope to try to help someone out when theyre in a jam.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just sent around the CAD file to everyone who had requested it. Thanks to everyone for the support. If I've missed anyone, please resend your request.
Would you be so kind to share your design with me, I have not been able to see any pictures, but according to what I have read is exactly what Im looking for.
email: [email protected]

Best Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hope everyone has been able to get has hands on the Cad file. Anybody apart from "easystreet" built one?

I mounted the fairlead in front of the plastic valance using two square steel spacers and longer bolts. If you cut the rectangular and two bolt holes a bit oversize, the bracket doesn't start pulling your pumper apart.
I looking into having it made for me, since I know nothing about welding or cutting steel, one quick question? the measurements are in inches right?

61 - 80 of 81 Posts