Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
fitting it turns out the horizontal piece fit at 43 3/8" there was about 1/8 of undercoating sprayed on that accounted for needing that extra 1/8. so the horizontal is fine at 43 3/8.

update: I got it welded and fitted up. I added two pieces of angle on the bottom and drilled and tapped and bolted it together as well. Angle was welded underneath. I think this helped me more to put it together so it didn't misalign but I believe the bolts will add some shear strength to this. used grade 8 bolts.

next thing is to buy the winch im really looked forward to it thanks a lot for this thread.
I'm starting to build this my self during quarantine. Can you recommend the bolds that you purchased, what length and diameter

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,871 Posts
I realize this is the DIY thread, but I noticed the ASFIR one is currently $378 shipped (as of now 4/6/20). Seems like a really solid deal..... y'know, in case you get sick of welding....

·
Registered
5 Posts
About to install the winch and see how it fits up. One thing that is for sure is the rails can be an inch higher. This would allow to put a second bolt or pin into the frame or make it that bit stronger having a thicker throat where it goes up and connects with the horizontal. However the design definitely strong enough.

You could use 3/8 plate for the rails and gusset the corners to add tow hooks as well. Will post up when its complete in a few days.
Do you think that the tow hooks would hold with just the 1/4" plate or the rails would definitely bend using that thickness?

81 - 85 of 85 Posts