Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In March 2011, we picked up our new FJ Cruiser, which was most likely the first retail delivery in Australia. Apart from personal plates, I didnt order any accessories from the dealer for delivery. Being in the trade, and building trucks for travel, we decided to order from spare parts any bits we wanted, or make them or source them as we went.

We ordered in early Feb, after a test drive of a yellow DSM mule that the dealer let us go for a spin with.

Thankfully build quality improved from test mule to delivery,

But were not here to talk about the yellow mule, so back to "SMOKY" which carries a theme for all our cruisers, from our white TD multivalve 80 called Snowy, our 1HDT gold 80 called Sandy, our Maroon supercharged petrol 80 called Rooby, right back to our turbo intercooled blue 80, called Bluey, and now our grey FJ called SMOKY.

I have a remote desert trip coming up 4th July for 3 weeks, to prepare the FJ for, and we are heading foe the hills for the 11,12,13 June as a shakedown run, once finished. Many mods have been done already, but I will start with the snorkel, and update it over the next week or so.

First job was get the snorkel on, and modify the air box to remove the big restriction, while we had the air box out, I also modded the air box, to remove the small restriction it has.

This inner to outer section is to help trap water that may enter the air box, but with the snorkel fitted, and the drain sealed, air flow was now more important.

Once removed, after cutting it with an air hacksaw, and then cleaning it up, the difference can be seen between the 2 intakes.

there is only the one face you need to cut, to remove this part from the air box, while its out of the car.

I ordered a Safari Snorkel for my FJ, afew months ago, when I ordered the car, and knowing the air box is different, but the inner fender intake was the same, that it should fit the AUS FJ without a problem.

I believe Safari have yet to confirm an AUS spec snorkel to suit the Aus FJ.

Everything went as planned in the destructions, and the whole end of the air box is the same for the fittings of the 415, so it all went on without a hitch, except the indicator in the front fender which is partially covered by the snorkel body itself.

We masked the area, heated the snorkel with a heat gun, and formed the snorkel around the indicator by pushing it on around the indicator whilst the snorkel body was hot in the required area, after masking up that area, as per pic above, to stop any heat or plastic sticking to the indicator, or paint.

Suspension, and storage next!

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Very Nice... :bigthumb:....

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Glad you are sharing with us state side!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Thanks for sharing! It's great to see some new pictures of this awesome mod!!!

·
Wanderlust
4,158 Posts
Great start to the first Aussie build-up. It looks like Safari may have to make a slight revision to clear the turn indicator. Please post up photos of your upcoming trip and details on the beadlock wheels and dual battery. Any plans to extend to add an aux fuel tank? I believe LongRanger is planning to make one for the FJ now that it's on sale in AUS. :cheers:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Been building some storage over the weekend, to fit 60lt Engel, which is a must for 2-3 week trips of seeing no one, my normal pantry box with slide out drawer and drop down table [nearly completed] and 55lt drinking water tank, 3rd battery, cargo barrier and overhead shelf, and behind the driver and passenger seats, a yet to be made mesh frame to fit our sleeping gear and clothes bags on top, and "stuff" [technical term :thinkerg: etc etc.

My upcoming trip is in my sig line below, running an event to rais emoney for a respite/end of life care facility locally, we are taking 25 vehicles into central Australia for a great trip.

Details on the long travel suspension and tyres coming next.

·
Registered
308 Posts
That's great stuff, look forward to following all you do with Smoky and would love to see a write up of your trip... Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Yeah, that sneak pic of the beadlocks has me curious. Looking forward to seeing your long travel setup as well.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Oi, Oi, Oi!

Sorry, I had to:bigthumb:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went 80 series offset 16 x 8 Pro Comp rims in gloss black, with GoodYear MTR Kevlars, as they are an awesome tough touring tyre, and work well in a 315/75/16 :bandit:

The normal plasma cut body mount and weld, and a bit of trimming, but works really nice.

I also had to redrill the spare carrier bracket 25mm down, to move the tyre up and stop it hitting on the bottom.

I made my suspension a 60mm lift, improved front down travel by 40mm over your normal 2"lift, fitted a diff drop front spacer kit, and used 80mm longer rear shocks with 40mm bump spacers to stop the 35's from touching, rear sway bar spacers so they dont limit articulation, and I am using firmer valved Bilsteins to suit the add ons I have put on the car, in weight, and it rides supurb with the gear on now.

4.56 diff gears going in today.

·
Registered
500 Posts

If you just flip the tire carrier upside down you can achieve the same thing youre trying to do here. It fits with it flipped, sometimes there is excess metal in the way of the rear wiper you have to grind down tho.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My way, no grinding for the wiper, and the reverse camera and bracket etc the car comes with, doesnt have to be taken off and rotated 180, to rotate the bracket 180 deg.

New holes was simpler.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Wow! your getting things put together fast...I like your storage setup in the back, looks like you maximized every bit of space available.

Are you going to get a rooftop tent or make a custom basket up top to carry extra fuel or both?

Anyway...nice modding and keep posting them pictures!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am making a basket to fit the bus tent,

and stretchers on the roof, with the factory roof rack, and with the LPG 114lt rear tank, and std petrol tank, I have a 1000km + range, and I will be making a twin jerry can holder for the rear bar, which will be one for fuel/water, the other for water for dishes, washing hands, which can be filled from any source.

I will put a shelf over the spare tyre for the chainsaw and fuel container.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I had a 105 cruiser chassis rear section laying around, so cut the parts from it, with the holes to make it easy to hose out the body mount area, stop mud build up.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I sure wish I had the funds and time away from work...I would ship my FJ over and join your expedition for a good cause AnamCara Charity! :rocker:

Seems like your ambitious enough to get things ready before your July run :bigthumb:

Again thanks for sharing all your ideas...Maybe I can catch my breath and get motivated again after seeing your truck! :rocker: :cheers:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts