Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, hope all is well. I have an 07 and its awesome. got her used and came with TRD exhaust, wheels, & 2" lift. Maybe it was a trd model.
NOW i was thinking of adding juice under the hood, wanted to ask you opinion on a few things -
1. TRD intake all positive info on this. what can you folks say.
2. "Chip" - heard shouldnt get this if i didnt have a Supercharger.
3. Throttle body spacer - on the threads they say a waist of money, does work and ruins timing.

please let me know and please feel free to add you input.
Cheers All
Ally:wink

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I had the Unichip, but honestly not sure how much benefit there was. They have dyno results on their site, but I never dynoed it myself. Gains might be more noticeable on a fairly stock-weight FJ as opposed to mine. UCON is also available from URD, they have tunes for stock FJs, you could contact them to see what kind of gains you could get. Only way to get serious gains is a supercharger.

I have the TRD intake, no problems, but never had the stock intake so I don't realy have any frame of reference for comparisons.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
save your money. The FJ is not a very power mod vehicle. Power modding is for Mustangs and the like...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
^ this.

# 2 and 3 are paper weights.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks man really appreciate the advice. spoke to some people and theyre 50/50 some say go and NO. then spoke to a guy who said since i have an 07 there might be some issues with the rig not being able to match with the "CHIP" - well gave it a thought i may pass on the idea. but for sure on the TBC im not gonna touch it.

thanks again

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for the advice - new to this and loving my rig. appreciate all the help ...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ALSO --------

so in the quest for my FJ build yesterday i researched online and went to visit this guys shop, he had a splendid amount of cars even race cars there he's crew was working on. he showed me his products and projects and i was very impressed. (mind you im looking for custom headers for FCJ 07 - he even showed me CAI he had made for various clients and it blew me away - THE CLINCHER was he was charging not that much more then retail ones - like the KNN or TRD) so i left went home happy. - SO WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ON ME HAVING CUSTOM HEADERS BUILT . thanks for you help again guys. CHEERS

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
The FJ Cruiser was made to go off road. Skids, lift, winch, etc...is what it wants, is what it was made for. Check out your owners manual, I think the top recommended speed is 65mph.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
ALSO --------

so in the quest for my FJ build yesterday i researched online and went to visit this guys shop, he had a splendid amount of cars even race cars there he's crew was working on. he showed me his products and projects and i was very impressed. (mind you im looking for custom headers for FCJ 07 - he even showed me CAI he had made for various clients and it blew me away - THE CLINCHER was he was charging not that much more then retail ones - like the KNN or TRD) so i left went home happy. - SO WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ON ME HAVING CUSTOM HEADERS BUILT . thanks for you help again guys. CHEERS
Headers especially custom will cost you a ton of money and mostly buy you nothing but headaches. You can expect sensor problems setting off all kinds of Check engine lights. You should Search and read the many post about headers and the Pros and Cons others have experienced and the money spent for work arounds. All for a somewhat SoSo power boost. Contact "URD" they have done the most with this engine. Bottom line is you will spend $2500.00 where the only real decent power gain comes from the Super Charger. Also you will get more from a bag of chips then any other kind.
Your money though. :grin

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for your reply good points to chew on. appreciate it. cheers

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
No comment on the first two items on your list, as under some conditions (usually substantial additional hardware modifications) they can provide some performance benefit, but for the third item:

And in any case, why would you be considering any of these mods for an FJ Cruiser? If you want to build up some kind of a street-racer for stop-light competition, start with something more appropriate.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Just found this, might help, it was posted by a member named ROTREX

Re: supercharger search
Quote:
Formidable previously said: View Post
Both bullet and RGM are not in the states but make chargers for this application. After the exchange rate bullet is priced at roughly $6500 for a rotrex charger and xede chip. That's in line with where I would expect URD to be. I believe xede is very similar to unichip... if not unichip rebadged. In either case wouldn't trust it.

Again, getting the charger is not a problem. A plug and play tuning solution is the issue. Splicing the ECU sounds like opening a bag of worms literally. URD needs one ECU connector before they are willing to proceed with their charger.
I live in Brisbane Australia and please note I am in no way in any business relationship with Bullet Supercharging or ChipTorque which designed and manufactures the XEDE unit, I am just one of there paying customers for almost two years now.
XEDE is NOT a copy or rebadged UniChip, XEDE is the brainchild from the owner of ChipTorque here in Australia, ChipTorque is big into tuning and supporting not just normal customers like me, they run there products in drift cars and tune V8 Supercars and much, much more.
XEDE was designed and developed a few years ago now together with Bullet and other performance related companies.
They have now years of data available for the Toyota 4.0 V6 engine Supercharged or not, there tuning software is an open source too but they sell the XEDE with pre-loaded mapping around the world, you tell them what your setup is like and what fuel you are running (there are up-to two profiles) and they pre-load it and there after sales support is very, very good.
Bullet Supercharging has a long history but lets stick to the Toyota 4.0 V6 engine only. Bullet developed the Supercharger kit in 2012 on there own FJ Cruiser which one of the directors still drives today and I believe it has done 80000km's with the charger so far. At the beginning of 2013 Bullet did the first custom FJ which included there Forged Pistons and Rods - See link: Toyota FJ Cruiser | 4X4 Australia
Since then they have sold many in Australia (there are five in Brisbane alone) to New Zealand and there biggest market is the middle east because the FJ engine is also used in the big 200 series LandCruiser there and they actually have sold a number to a performance shop in Texas.
I had the Bullet system fitted about 19 months ago (or 35000km's) my FJ was just four months old and had 5000km on the clock back then. I have done a lot of 4wding and one of the most demanding and hardest trips here in Australia (Cape York, almost 7000km's), many water crossings which some are 100m and more long and water over the bonnet and I did not have one problem.
IMO the Bullet kit is the most developed kit available for the FJ and more importantly you get support in every aspect - I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ALSO --------

Why do you want "Custom Headers" are they URD, JBA or the Doug Thorley Headers no good ? .... or you could get one of the two different designs from Beaudesert Exhaust system from Australia.
Anyway the best headers are no good without a well designed full system and custom tune and you need to have a plane for the error codes you will be getting but all can be fixed as long as you or the tuner knows what needs to be done.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why do you want "Custom Headers" are they URD, JBA or the Doug Thorley Headers no good ? .... or you could get one of the two different designs from Beaudesert Exhaust system from Australia.
Anyway the best headers are no good without a well designed full system and custom tune and you need to have a plane for the error codes you will be getting but all can be fixed as long as you or the tuner knows what needs to be done.
thanks for the very good info, even if it sounds scary :D . im almost thinking to scrap the headers+exhaust project. of my rig. it seems that there are way more CONS the PROS.

like i said i have an 07 with the TRD exhaust already might just be satisfied with that. or maybe just ad CAI...

anyways you guys have been SOOOOO informative. i truly grateful.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just found this, might help, it was posted by a member named ROTREX

Re: supercharger search
Quote:
Formidable previously said: View Post
Both bullet and RGM are not in the states but make chargers for this application. After the exchange rate bullet is priced at roughly $6500 for a rotrex charger and xede chip. That's in line with where I would expect URD to be. I believe xede is very similar to unichip... if not unichip rebadged. In either case wouldn't trust it.

Again, getting the charger is not a problem. A plug and play tuning solution is the issue. Splicing the ECU sounds like opening a bag of worms literally. URD needs one ECU connector before they are willing to proceed with their charger.
I live in Brisbane Australia and please note I am in no way in any business relationship with Bullet Supercharging or ChipTorque which designed and manufactures the XEDE unit, I am just one of there paying customers for almost two years now.
XEDE is NOT a copy or rebadged UniChip, XEDE is the brainchild from the owner of ChipTorque here in Australia, ChipTorque is big into tuning and supporting not just normal customers like me, they run there products in drift cars and tune V8 Supercars and much, much more.
XEDE was designed and developed a few years ago now together with Bullet and other performance related companies.
They have now years of data available for the Toyota 4.0 V6 engine Supercharged or not, there tuning software is an open source too but they sell the XEDE with pre-loaded mapping around the world, you tell them what your setup is like and what fuel you are running (there are up-to two profiles) and they pre-load it and there after sales support is very, very good.
Bullet Supercharging has a long history but lets stick to the Toyota 4.0 V6 engine only. Bullet developed the Supercharger kit in 2012 on there own FJ Cruiser which one of the directors still drives today and I believe it has done 80000km's with the charger so far. At the beginning of 2013 Bullet did the first custom FJ which included there Forged Pistons and Rods - See link: Toyota FJ Cruiser | 4X4 Australia
Since then they have sold many in Australia (there are five in Brisbane alone) to New Zealand and there biggest market is the middle east because the FJ engine is also used in the big 200 series LandCruiser there and they actually have sold a number to a performance shop in Texas.
I had the Bullet system fitted about 19 months ago (or 35000km's) my FJ was just four months old and had 5000km on the clock back then. I have done a lot of 4wding and one of the most demanding and hardest trips here in Australia (Cape York, almost 7000km's), many water crossings which some are 100m and more long and water over the bonnet and I did not have one problem.
IMO the Bullet kit is the most developed kit available for the FJ and more importantly you get support in every aspect - I guess you get what you pay for.
i actually was just researching this on the forum hehehe yeah its I think the only legit option with guaranteed results but wow thats pricy. someone also offered me to turbocharge the rig and i was also reading up on TURDOCHARGING FJC. not sure yet.

Thanks again for all your help

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Headers can get you decent power gains, and there are good options for the 2007-2009, I wouldn't go custom. I'd recommend the URD Spec-U headers and their Spec-U exhaust. Removes all 4 cats, really opens up the system, and they say gains of 30 whp and 20 wtq on a Tacoma with the same genning (don't quote me on that, but I think they have a dyno chart on their site). Using this combination you shouldn't loose low-end torque like with some LT headers. They also sell rear O2 simulators to keep you from getting codes. Also if you one day add a supercharger, either TRD (discontinued but kits still available) or URD, the exhaust will allow you to use a Stage 2 tune and get more power. Other supercharges available, but here in the states I don't see any reason to not get a TRD or URD.

A lot of people don't recommend power mods for the FJ, because that's not how they use their FJ. But if you want more power and there are viable and proven options for the 2007-2009. Could also look at the URD UCON EMS, best chip out there and with the Spec-U exhaust will given you actual dyno gains. It's expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Headers, exhaust, and chip you're looking at $2500ish. I wouldn't get LT headers without getting rid of the second set of cats also. A lot of money, but all useful stuff to have if you add a S/C. I'd got the TRD supercharger, URD Spec-U exhaust, and UCON and the power gains are fantastic. I plan to get LT headers so I can go to a Stage 2 tune. Before I did all this I built up my FJ for offroad first, because that's my primary focus. But I always wanted a S/C and pulled the trigger in April and wish it'd been higher on my priority list.

·
Registered
97 Posts
thanks for the very good info, even if it sounds scary :D . im almost thinking to scrap the headers+exhaust project. of my rig. it seems that there are way more CONS the PROS.

like i said i have an 07 with the TRD exhaust already might just be satisfied with that. or maybe just ad CAI...

anyways you guys have been SOOOOO informative. i truly grateful.
Just if you are still interested in headers - I had those ( see photo :) ) fitted after I had a cat back only for a few month and it did make a difference, more power and torque and better fuel consumption because the fuel burns more efficient but the biggest difference was the reduced temperature in the cabin and under the bonnet which not only is a result from better exhaust flow but because of the ceramic coating.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just if you are still interested in headers - I had those ( see photo :) ) fitted after I had a cat back only for a few month and it did make a difference, more power and torque and better fuel consumption because the fuel burns more efficient but the biggest difference was the reduced temperature in the cabin and under the bonnet which not only is a result from better exhaust flow but because of the ceramic coating.
thanks for the offer. i did read that the ceramic coating is whats important . im lookin at my options at this point ill make sure to let you know.

thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts