Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you folks think about the stock FJ driving light set up? I think they are Hellas.

Anyone know if they have the screen type rock guards, or just the covers?

Thanks

·
Banned
463 Posts
The housings are plastic and they only have the solid FJ covers over them. You would be much better off just buying Hella lights separately. I have no idea why some companies market an "FJ Cruiser" kit, I believe PIAA does this...a wire harness is a wire harness. You have some options to choose from, such as IPF, PIAA, Hella, and Lightforce.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
The housings are plastic and they only have the solid FJ covers over them. You would be much better off just buying Hella lights separately. I have no idea why some companies market an "FJ Cruiser" kit, I believe PIAA does this...a wire harness is a wire harness. You have some options to choose from, such as IPF, PIAA, Hella, and Lightforce.
PIAA markets an FJC "kit" in response to demand for better lights than the Hella lights packaged in the Toyota OEM kit. The factory Hellas are the 500 series, a plastic housing, 55w standard H3 bulb light. The PIAA kit comes with mounting bracket to reinforce the stability of the lights when mounted to the stock bumper. The kit includes PIAA 520 lights, which are metal housings, leaded crystal / tempered lenses, extreme white bulbs that put out 110w equivilant in lumens while drawing only 55w each, and lens guards instead of covers.

And for those who believe a wire harness is a wire harness, I'll be happy to show you the difference between PIAA harnesses and most others on the market (who have all improved due to the popularity of PIAA lights).

While Hella, IPF, Lightforce, PIAA, and many others make fine lights, there are differences in quality, componentry, and function - and of course, price. As wih most things in life, you usually get what you pay for...:rocker:

·
Registered
876 Posts
...I'll be happy to show you the difference between PIAA harnesses and most others on the market (who have all improved due to the popularity of PIAA lights)...
For the sake of education, I would like to see...

A.W.D.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I do like the factory kit wiring harness. It pretty much plug and play and has the factory switch.

Hmm - I could install the factory set up, then trade out the factory lights for the PIAA's off my daughter's Zr2 Blazer.

She is not an off road person. She used the Blazer while attending college, then wanted to buy it from me when she left for Navy Officer Candidate School.

·
Banned
463 Posts
PIAA markets an FJC "kit" in response to demand for better lights than the Hella lights packaged in the Toyota OEM kit. The factory Hellas are the 500 series, a plastic housing, 55w standard H3 bulb light. The PIAA kit comes with mounting bracket to reinforce the stability of the lights when mounted to the stock bumper. The kit includes PIAA 520 lights, which are metal housings, leaded crystal / tempered lenses, extreme white bulbs that put out 110w equivilant in lumens while drawing only 55w each, and lens guards instead of covers.

And for those who believe a wire harness is a wire harness, I'll be happy to show you the difference between PIAA harnesses and most others on the market (who have all improved due to the popularity of PIAA lights).

While Hella, IPF, Lightforce, PIAA, and many others make fine lights, there are differences in quality, componentry, and function - and of course, price. As wih most things in life, you usually get what you pay for...:rocker:

That's true..while I'm not saying that a Walmart light harness will be just as good as a Piaa...I've found that the IPF light harnesses are far beefier than the Piaa that I have and they draw the same amount of power. My KC lights are 130 watts and have a harness a bit thicker than the Piaa but the ground wire is unusually small. I've looked at the Piaa 520 non-FJ kits and they have the same stuff? If I had to do it over again, I would probably go with all IPF lights since I've been really impressed with the components and how they're built.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts