Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
California noob here that will be moving to the Midwest this summer. Looking to buy my first FJ. Found one in the Midwest. Not sure if the rust I see is just surface rust or problematic rust. With the exception of the first picture, most of the pictures seem pretty clean to me. Does it seem like part of the undercarriage was painted to cover up the rust?

Car has almost 200k but is priced at my budget and also the color I want.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
the rust on the bumper hitch is about par for the course, aftermarket parts come with "powder coat" paint that falls off in sheets after about 1 or 2 winters, typically

the rest looks decent, but will want attention ASAP to slow it down if you want to keep it for several years.

My biggest concerns are: the amount of rust on the rear bumper (they rust first, so that's not a surprise, but it might not be a bad idea to take it off to treat the rust fully).

The front engine under cover looks pretty badly rusted, but they do that and it can be replaced with an aftermarket one.

Not sure I've seen a rear driveshaft with that much rust on it before.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the rust on the bumper hitch is about par for the course, aftermarket parts come with "powder coat" paint that falls off in sheets after about 1 or 2 winters, typically

the rest looks decent, but will want attention ASAP to slow it down if you want to keep it for several years.

My biggest concerns are: the amount of rust on the rear bumper (they rust first, so that's not a surprise, but it might not be a bad idea to take it off to treat the rust fully).

The front engine under cover looks pretty badly rusted, but they do that and it can be replaced with an aftermarket one.

Not sure I've seen a rear driveshaft with that much rust on it before.
Thanks for the response. I'm going to be staying put at the same location for the next four years, so would like to keep the car for at least that long. Potentially may keep the car much longer as my income situation probably won't change for the next 8 to 11 years.

How much do you think cleaning up the rust and doing rust prevention will cost? I'll have to take it somewhere as I won't have a garage or the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts