Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im pretty set on the demellos and i wanted some input pros / cons any issues with them overall opinions you have of them

and yes i did use the search function and read a lot of posts but i want more!

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
I don't think I have seen them. Sorry I am no help. :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have them and had no issue romping around tellico this weekend. Went over Crawford's rock garden and sat on them many times. They are tight against the car and I did not seem to bang on them as hard as my friends with stock or all-pro rails.

I have lifted my truck with them and a hi-lift and they flex very little. I think I made the right choice.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have them and had no issue romping around tellico this weekend. Went over Crawford's rock garden and sat on them many times. They are tight against the car and I did not seem to bang on them as hard as my friends with stock or all-pro rails.

I have lifted my truck with them and a hi-lift and they flex very little. I think I made the right choice.
I think the OP means skids, not sliders.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
I like mine. Mine came a bit bent and I didn't know it until I had a hard time lining up the mounting holes cursing and playing around with it.Check yours before you put it on.
It works great. I'm pretty careful but it took some drags in Moab on two seperate occasions without hurting it at all. It looks great with his bumper. Glad I got it.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i went and bought it for $225 at norwalk toyota came out to $243.57 with tax

that beat demellos in house price so i couldnt pass it up (im cheap)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got the skid but had a really hard time installing it. The middle mounting holes are misaligned with the frame mounting holes and it's really a tight fit. Still haven't gotten the middle recessed mounting bolts installed on the right or left. I am dropping it again tomorrow to try and drill the holes out a bit more but they are so far off that I wont have the clearance to install a washer on the right middle mount due to the recessed design no matter what I do. I spent lots of time monkeying with it etc... with it balanced on a floor jack ...and the middle mounting points are off...plain and simple. Mine also arrived warped a bit which I think is most of the problem. Other than the installation issues it seems solid. I contacted Demello by phone without much real help and two emails have gone unanswered so I guess I'll have to make it work on my own.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
I got the skid but had a really hard time installing it. The middle mounting holes are misaligned with the frame mounting holes and it's really a tight fit. Still haven't gotten the middle recessed mounting bolts installed on the right or left. I am dropping it again tomorrow to try and drill the holes out a bit more but they are so far off that I wont have the clearance to install a washer on the right middle mount due to the recessed design no matter what I do. I spent lots of time monkeying with it etc... with it balanced on a floor jack ...and the middle mounting points are off...plain and simple. Mine also arrived warped a bit which I think is most of the problem. Other than the installation issues it seems solid. I contacted Demello by phone without much real help and two emails have gone unanswered so I guess I'll have to make it work on my own.
I drilled the middle ones too. Just enough room for a washer. The holes in the frame are angled on those, making it even harder.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I drilled the middle ones too. Just enough room for a washer. The holes in the frame are angled on those, making it even harder.
Hopefully I can get the left in at least. That should be secure enough I think. I thought there might be others with alignment problems but when I called Demello they said they only had one so far that was a tight fit, but they didn't mention whether they had to do any additional drilling.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well doc i too am having issues with the install same as yours i gotta take my fj in for service too so yeah im not happy right now

·
Registered
35 Posts
well doc i too am having issues with the install same as yours i gotta take my fj in for service too so yeah im not happy right now
Sorry you're having the same problems. I think they're having more manufacturing issues with these than they know. It's pretty frustrating, as what should be a minor, quick bolt on mod is turning out to be a real pain. I really wanted their bumper too but I'm a little hesitant as I know at least one other had similar issues with his front bumper and wound up doing a lot of extra drilling to make it fit. He replied to a similar thread I started asking if anyone else was having problems with their Demello skids. I may drop mine today and will post if I find a way to make it work a little better.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
It responed well to a few judicious whacks with my sledge. I got it straight and drilled out the middle holes larger. That got the middle ones close enought to get the bolts in. Hated drilling out those holes though. I talked to Jason about it at the Summit and he seemed surprised, but he shouldn't be by yours. With three of us having the same toubles mounting it there just might be some measurment or cutting problems.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Thug, have you contacted Demello or Norwalk?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It responed well to a few judicious whacks with my sledge. I got it straight and drilled out the middle holes larger. That got the middle ones close enought to get the bolts in. Hated drilling out those holes though. I talked to Jason about it at the Summit and he seemed surprised, but he shouldn't be by yours. With three of us having the same toubles mounting it there just might be some measurment or cutting problems.
Haven't tried the sledge yet. Maybe I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the idea

·
Registered
425 Posts
I took advantage of the allpro three piece sale and they went on like the toyota factory made them.

Had a little trouble getting one of the bolts out of the factory tin, but the install was a breeze

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would get Budbuilts, holes lined up perfectly on all my skids.
Yeah, probably a better option with the benefit of hindsight; however, I've already got the Demello skid plate so I'll try to see if I can get it to work without doing any damage to my truck. I wouldn't buy a Demello skid plate again knowing what I know now, but I guess the three of us are the only ones with issues, or the only ones here with Demello skid plates. As stated before they didn't really provide any help when I called and they have basically ignored my emails. So, it seems I'm stuck with it unless I want to pay again to buy Budbuilts or something else.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts