Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
We have had heard from only a few that have had issues. When ever we install them in the shop there is no issue but those that have been shipped are having issues that you all described.

Our fixture has not changed but it is possible that the fixture got bent or warped at some point. It could just be how they are being installed. We usually put all the bolts in and leave them loose then tighten them all up equally.

If you have any questions feel free to contact us, I would like to get your problems taken care of.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Hi Jason, I did leave everything loose when I did it. The middle holes were about a half an inch off to the front of the vehicle. I bent the front lip a bit and drilled the holes larger to get it to work. The middle bolts, at least on mine, go in at an angle towards the front of the FJ so that doesn't help at all. The only way I could see getting them to the customer straight, would be to ship them on a pallet. Mine was quit bent and took some doing to get back straight. You don't make these things easily bendable :). Now that it's on it is perfect. Now, how about a gas tank skid? I want to stay in the Demello family!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Hi Jason, I did leave everything loose when I did it. The middle holes were about a half an inch off to the front of the vehicle. I bent the front lip a bit and drilled the holes larger to get it to work. The middle bolts, at least on mine, go in at an angle towards the front of the FJ so that doesn't help at all. The only way I could see getting them to the customer straight, would be to ship them on a pallet. Mine was quit bent and took some doing to get back straight. You don't make these things easily bendable :). Now that it's on it is perfect. Now, how about a gas tank skid? I want to stay in the Demello family!
I want to make sure there isn't something wrong with the way we are building them. I just went out and looked at my fixture, it looks straight as can be. I have a stack of these skid plates sitting here, maybe I should try one on real quick and see how it fits on my FJ?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I want to make sure there isn't something wrong with the way we are building them. I just went out and looked at my fixture, it looks straight as can be. I have a stack of these skid plates sitting here, maybe I should try one on real quick and see how it fits on my FJ?
You could send me one and I'll let you know how it fits?? hahahaha

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
My bling skidplate got a real workout before I replaced it with yours. Repeated drags may have bent something with the middle mount points on my ride. Anyhow, I like the skid, I just want more lol.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
im having the same issue with the bolt holes not lining up

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just added a Demello skid 2 weeks ago. Same problem. It appeared the the plate had warped a little. I don't know if someone stepped on it but it wasn't flat. My buddy at work who used to be a welder said he thought the warpping might occur when they weld the rectangular piece on the middle of the skid. Any thoughts? We had to do a little drilling but after a good effort all is fine. All bolts are in and it is TIGHT! I am not worried about the bolts coming loose. It blows away the factory skid. Jason makes good stuff, don't let a little elbow grease stop you. Bleeding for your FJ or on your FJ I think makes you one somehow.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I just added a Demello skid 2 weeks ago. Same problem. It appeared the the plate had warped a little. I don't know if someone stepped on it but it wasn't flat. My buddy at work who used to be a welder said he thought the warpping might occur when they weld the rectangular piece on the middle of the skid. Any thoughts? We had to do a little drilling but after a good effort all is fine. All bolts are in and it is TIGHT! I am not worried about the bolts coming loose. It blows away the factory skid. Jason makes good stuff, don't let a little elbow grease stop you. Bleeding for your FJ or on your FJ I think makes you one somehow.
we were also worried about that center section causing bowing but we weld it slow and let it cool slow. They don't leave here like that. BUT we did get some back from the powder coater that were bowed, those were put aside..

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same bowing near the welded square section previously mentioned and there is a fair amount of warping on the left side of the plate which may have come from shipping. I haven't dropped it yet to try to drill out the center holes enough to install the middle bolts primarily because I live in Vegas and its about 110 degrees in my garage in the daytime when I can work on it. I like the skid but will definitely need to work on it a bit to make it fit. I also found it's solid enough that just bending out the warp will take some muscle and probably a sledge hammer. I also installed by using a floor jack to balance it into the best position and left everything loose to try to wiggle it into the correct position without success on the center section. It's going to take a lot of drilling to match up the center mounts and frame.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
I had the same bowing near the welded square section previously mentioned and there is a fair amount of warping on the left side of the plate which may have come from shipping. I haven't dropped it yet to try to drill out the center holes enough to install the middle bolts primarily because I live in Vegas and its about 110 degrees in my garage in the daytime when I can work on it. I like the skid but will definitely need to work on it a bit to make it fit. I also found it's solid enough that just bending out the warp will take some muscle and probably a sledge hammer. I also installed by using a floor jack to balance it into the best position and left everything loose to try to wiggle it into the correct position without success on the center section. It's going to take a lot of drilling to match up the center mounts and frame.
Yep, plenty of sledge on mine

·
Registered
35 Posts
Finally got the skid installed. I was able to drill the right mount hole enough to get the bolts in though I had mentioned earlier I was afraid I wouldn't. Even with all other bolts loosely installed both middle mounting holes needed to be extended toward the rear at least 1/2 inch (more on the right) to make it work, which is exactly what a couple of others stated as well. I never did get all the warping out, and wound up jacking the truck front end up slightly with the floor jack pressing on the skid and jack stands available for safety so the weight of the truck would bend it enough in the front to install mounting bolts. It's tough to bend for sure. Warp is still there but no part of the truck is touching the skid except the frame parts that should be so I left it. Nice skid, but sure a lot of work for what I expected would be a 15 minute bolt on mod. Still like the Demello bumper the best so may order one (got the drill ready in case I need it). Thanks for all the others who piped in with their solutions.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts