Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know tire choice is very personal, but i still would like some opinions from users. I have narrowed my choices to 4 tires , Mickey Thompsons ( not sure between MTZs or Claws ) , Nitto Mud Grapplers, BFG KM2, and Kumho Road Venture MT (KL71) . Use will be light rock crawling, light mud, wood trails. Nothing too heavy. We don't have sand and desert situations up here. But i want a tire that will bite in whatever i throw at it and has curb appeal ;)

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I have run the Toyo version of the Nitto mud tires and BFG KM2's on my Toyota 4WD trucks. Either of those choices would suit you well. I have more miles on the Toyos than the KM2's but at this point slightly prefer the KM2's.

The Toyos are very strong and puncture resistant, have to be aired down more than other tires to soften them, and (like most all mud tires) get more noisy as they wear down. I have probably 50,000 miles on these tires and they will still pass inspection.

The KM2's ride a little better, will soften easier with modest air-down pressures, and do a little better in mud and soft terrain. Haven't run them long enough to know how they will wear, but I like these tires so far.

If you wheel on sharp rocks where punctures are a concern, I'd give the edge to the Nitto/Toyos. Otherwise, like I said probably a slight preference for the KM2's between those two tires.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
There is a pretty active FJ community up in the Montreal area. I know one of our Northeasters is a fan of the National 4wd store in Chateauguay National 4WD: Locations, Fredericton, Montreal, Burlington, Calgary, Langley I know my guys are dealing Mickeys and ProComps.

Now as far as personal preference I would aim at Toyo/Nitto. Remember that many of the MT designated tires are crap in slush and snow. As far as the Northeasters go I would guess that Nitto Grapplers are the most popular and KM2's with the mud tire guys.

I will add that I have heard a few guys speak well of the Hankook MTs as well as Firestones. There is a thread here from Dragon about the Stones. They are impressive if for nothing more than the wear factor.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I ran 265s KM2s on my Tacoma for 10,000 miles and I was impressed. Quieter than KMs. Smooth. They run narrow and smaller than Nittos for a 265. They were heavy and I lost 1+ mpg. I have surprised when I pulled a toothpick size thorn from them and not even a leak. In mud they feel like I was driving a tractor. Awesome.

I traded off my KM2s for the Nittos. They bigger, smoother and quieter on the street. I gained that 1 mpg back that I lost with KM2s. The downside in the first week of owning them was that time I drove through 2 inches of sticky mud and they filled up instantly, and the truck stopped and spun there. I almost needed to pulled out in 2 inches of sticky mud on flat ground. At that instant I regretted selling my KM2s.

Overall, both were fine tires. Just trade-offs.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I really like my KM2s, I would include the Generals as an option. They will probably be my next set of tires.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NBFJCruz - I know i'm a member of FJOffroadQC :) and of the NorthEastern site too . Thanks for the Kiiji link .

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
No one mentioned the Kumho's, but I absolutely love mine and will certainly be getting another set when I wear these out (larger though). I'm mainly on light trails and in heavy mud and they've never let me down. I can't speak for rocks, but they are very good in snow and deep snow (20"+). I drive hard on the street as well and they have excellent grip in the rain and dry. So far I've got a little over 20k miles on them and am down to half tread or so (which is excellent for me, I rarely get more than 9k miles on any set of tires from new to steel belts showing on any vehicle). For the money at Discount Tire Direct, they're a great buy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts