Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a high mileage (217k) '07 4WD that I decided to put a small lift on. I went with the Pro Comp 3" with their UCAs, but now I'm thinking about other upgrades.

I have no illusions of doing any rock climbing, and likely won't do any really serious trail stuff, but every suspension component is original so I'm looking at replacing them from a preventative maintenance standpoint. My sticking point right now is the Lower Control Arms. I really don't see any aftermarket ones that aren't crazy expensive so I'm leaning towards just going with stock replacements. In the rear I'm looking at the RESZ replacements (all 5) instead of stock because I understand that they put my pinion angle back where it needs to be after the lift. I know that the stock ones are considered flimsy for those who push their vehicles harder than I will, but the stock ones have thus far served this truck well (albeit without the lift) so they are probably tough enough for what I'm doing.

Are there less expensive rear control arms that will achieve the same pinion angle correction? Are there any "stock" front LCAs that are better than others (or brands I should avoid)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Resz makes a great product. Resz is also a Radflo dealer now, And Radflo is a excellent suspension . At minimum i would replace the stock rear lower links . As far as the front lower control arms stock oe Toyota are good .

·
Desert Moderator
5,652 Posts
Have a look at any warzone on the planet. You'll see hundreds of LC70 or Hilux everywhere on both / all sides.
The only modification done to them is the HMG/AA/Rocket launcher in the back. They use Toyotas because they're virtually indestructible.

Stock is fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it - it's not a jeep!

Apart from my shocks & springs, my suspension is 100% stock. I replaced the rear upper arms with stock after the bushes wore out after 100,000 kms of high speed desert driving and hucking it off every speed hump I could find, and it was quicker to replace the arms than the bushes.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,758 Posts
I’m curious why you need to replace the LCAs...cheaper to just replace balljoint and bushings. Also there’s a set of Moog LCAs for sale on the forum at a really low price. I know for a fact that Toyota dealerships swap in Moog balljoints when doing a replacement because OE balljoints are NOT sold separately....but OE bushings are!

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
I replaced my front LCA and tie rod ends with Mevotech from Rock Auto. All fits nice and right, no problems with them. The OEM LCA I'm keeping around and will replace the bushings and ball joint at some point in the next 10 yrs.

For your rears - like amaclach mentioned if its not broke....

It is very easy to get carried away on mods and go overkill. Sometimes aftermarket may perform better but the trade of is longevity.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I was leaning towards the stock lowers in the front.

Oreilly / Autozone / NAPA or has anyone used Amazon for a source?

·
Registered
949 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
"The only modification done to them is the HMG/AA/Rocket launcher in the back. They use Toyotas because they're virtually indestructible."

LMAO . . .

Made my day. Now, back to the garage.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I’m curious why you need to replace the LCAs...cheaper to just replace balljoint and bushings. Also there’s a set of Moog LCAs for sale on the forum at a really low price. I know for a fact that Toyota dealerships swap in Moog balljoints when doing a replacement because OE balljoints are NOT sold separately....but OE bushings are!
I did not know that . . .

I'ma gonna vote debFJVT for Secretary of Education.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts