Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know the best stereo setup for an FJ without the F-Jammer rig?

I'm NOT talking about brands, or specific pieces of equipment---I want to know speakers and amps mostly.

Obviously, I'll be getting a head unit
Obviously, I'll be adding a sub

Should I get a powered sub? or go with a seperate amp?

If a head unit is putting out 22 watts x 4, is that enough, or do I go with outboard amps there too? If so, how much power?

What speakers for fronts?

Doors?

rears?

I don't want a "boom car", I just want a really decent stereo that will blast the volume (when required).

Oh yeah---iPod capability is pretty important.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Always go with more power than you think you need, and I would always go with even a small external amp over what the HU has in it. You can never have too much power

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
For what you'd want, put in a double din monitor, 4" in the dash, 6.5" components in the doors(requires adapter mounting plates), 6.5" components at the rear seats using wicked cas pods, (1) 10" sub using a generic box in the cargo area, or a wicked cas or fjcruiseraudio custom box. The fj-specific bazooka tubes are often shipped broken. Don't bother with the rear d-pillar speakers unless you use your fj to tailgate alot (you can't hear them from the front). Use a class d mono amp for the sub and class ab 4 channel amp for the (2) sets of 6.5" components. You're best bet would be to get a sub that wires to the mono amp at 2 ohms, to get more power. Use 4ohm 6.5" components for better sound quality. Make sure amps have equal to or more rms watts than what the sub/speakers are rated for. Pick the speakers you want first, then pick an amp to match them. make sure your head unit has front, rear, and sub rca outputs.

·
Registered
734 Posts
For what you'd want, put in a double din monitor, 4" in the dash, 6.5" components in the doors(requires adapter mounting plates), 6.5" components at the rear seats using wicked cas pods, (1) 10" sub using a generic box in the cargo area, or a wicked cas or fjcruiseraudio custom box. The fj-specific bazooka tubes are often shipped broken. Don't bother with the rear d-pillar speakers unless you use your fj to tailgate alot (you can't hear them from the front). Use a class d mono amp for the sub and class ab 4 channel amp for the (2) sets of 6.5" components. You're best bet would be to get a sub that wires to the mono amp at 2 ohms, to get more power. Use 4ohm 6.5" components for better sound quality. Make sure amps have equal to or more rms watts than what the sub/speakers are rated for. Pick the speakers you want first, then pick an amp to match them. make sure your head unit has front, rear, and sub rca outputs.
good post. I'm always confused about the quantity and the size of the speakers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts