Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
:thinkerg: I know this is a dumb question but bear with me. I bought the additional horn that Matt suggested and did the 5 minute install and it works fine - so, can anyone tell me what the clip on cover on the bell of the horn is, sort of like a mute on a trumpet. It snaps on or off but why in the hell is it there? I suppose it is to mute the horn but that really doesn't make sense to me.

What give? Does anyone really know?

Thanks in advance.

Steve S.:thinkerg:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Guess I'll be a good forum citizen and post pictures. Here's the horn installed:

The horn is installed in the rear left corner of the engine bay (when looking toward the rear of the truck).

--Bill

·
Registered
132 Posts
i'm going to have to put a second in too, but what a stupid place for it to go. it should go on the other side of the grill, not taking up all that space in the fender well.

·
Registered
239 Posts
There is a threaded hold on the front wheel well. If the plug reaches I would think that it where it goes (where it looks like it should go according to the diagram)?

bigbill25,
Would the cord not reach? I really cannot place mine where you placed yours since I will be adding a second battery as soon as Wrangler NW or someone comes up with a kit. That location will not work with a 2nd battery.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Castle Rock FJ said:
There is a threaded hold on the front wheel well. If the plug reaches I would think that it where it goes (where it looks like it should go according to the diagram)?

bigbill25,
Would the cord not reach? I really cannot place mine where you placed yours since I will be adding a second battery as soon as Wrangler NW or someone comes up with a kit. That location will not work with a 2nd battery.
If you just pull back the cover, the plug is at just the right spot for the stock location. There is no extra length at all. If you remove all of the electrical tape, you may get some more length, but I don't know where you are attaching it...

--Bill

·
Registered
209 Posts
One glance at big bill's pics, two minutes with a 10mm wrench and a ultility knife and super horn!!!

Thanks again guys

·
Banned
76 Posts
bigbill25 said:
Chris,

Happen to know which one is stock on the FJ and which one is the optional? I'm in Berlin, or I would go out and look...

Has anyone else been successful with the "plug-n-play" install? Thanks.

--Bill
great its all fun and games till ze krauts show up
gerade auch kidding im ein Deutscher :cheers:

any whoo enough with the slander me and the real men are gonna hook up air horns to 50 lb. air tanks that will barley fit in the back and with our air and bad gas mileage honk till we go deaf

·
Registered
344 Posts
fjlarry said:
Here's what I did, took less than 15 min. I took one of the 2 horns out of my T-100. Found the wire on the passenger side front wheel well of my FJ. Bolted the t-100 horn using the long bolt that holds part of the air intake tube. It appears to be a good ground. Plugged in the horn and now it is twice the horn it used to be. My parts guy could get me the 86510 horn for 43 bucks plus tax. If any body wants a picture I'll have to wait til my boy genius gets home from Waterworld.
FJ Larry was on it. Mine went in the same way. Didn't use/need the bolt TRDSource was kind enough to provide. And I just barely pulled on the prewired connector to remove it from the "pocket" the factory made for it (top-right yellow arrow)

Click Here for larger version

I might have bolted it like the other pictures in this thread (the wiring was fine for that) but the bolt I got with my horn wasn't the right size for the threaded location near the back left corner (facing the front of the vehicle)

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I didn't really have to lengthen it. There was a very small amount of gray colored tape (a "band" of tape, if you will) that almost looked "break away" by design, which I pulled and, well, broke away from the harness.

It's almost as if someone knew I'd be adding the horn. The connector pulled out of the black pocket (a little sticky but steadily and easily) and then pulled away from the main harness by breaking the gray band (again, easily). Looked like about 8 inches in length.

I may take your advice on pointing that horn down to drain, which means I may have to look into placing it in that other location in the rear corner. What would cause water to build up in there anyway, driving through a creek? Or, is condensation a byproduct of tooting? And wouldn't tooting the horn blow out any water? I want to say toot one more time - don't know why. If I get water that high up on the vehicle, I will be close to having much more serious problems and the whole dang vehicle will need to be pointed down to drain...

I will have to say that my horn sounds better, but this wasn't a humongous improvement. I expected a significantly higher pitched sound out of the new horn, but it seems to me to be barely different. Now my horn sounds more harmonic and melodious. My part number is 86510-0C020 and the description says "Horn Assy, High Pitch"

QUESTION: There is a black adjustment screw on these horns... is that something that can adjust the pitch of the horn?

·
Registered
239 Posts
bigbill25 said:
If you just pull back the cover, the plug is at just the right spot for the stock location. There is no extra length at all. If you remove all of the electrical tape, you may get some more length, but I don't know where you are attaching it...

--Bill
Bill,
I ended up putting it along the fender a little forward of where you installed yours (next threaded nut forward). After looking at it, it seemed that it should be pointed down (as you stated - for drainage) and did not see the break away extra length of cable that BobbyNGa found to reach the wheel well location I mentioned.

This mod really does make a difference. The combined tone actually makes it louder and the sound is much better than the single horn. Thanks to everyone that brought this to our attention and Bill for posting detailed pics.

Steve

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
bigbill25 said:
Guess I'll be a good forum citizen and post pictures. Here's the horn installed:

The horn is installed in the rear left corner of the engine bay (when looking toward the rear of the truck).

--Bill
Thanks to Big Bill the "Super Moderator" a picture is worth a thousand words! Now my FJ sounds like it has some authority. This really should have been a stock item IMHO.:bananahump-slvrathl

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I wonder why Toyota left the holes in the inner fender wells open so that water can enter the engine compartment. You'd think they would have installed a couple of plastic plugs to seal it off but I guess that was another cost cutting measure.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Just thinking about cost cutting. Lets say it cost them $40 to install this (part, labor, etc. That's high, but play along). For 40,000 rigs in 1 year, the guy who made this decision just saved Toyota $1,600,000 a year...

--Bill

61 - 80 of 128 Posts