Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hopefully tuesday will be my install day. I talked to the install tech who sounds very mechanically inclined. He has installed SC on older 4runners and sequoias but never a FJ cruiser which kind of scares me a little. I did ask if I could only be charged for eight hours of labor and he agreed because Its not my responsibility to pay for their education and they agreed.

What do you think about this deal? Should I go somewhere else that has experience? This tech did my sequoia and I never had an issue (it was his first SC install then too).

I figured drain the gas tank to almost empty fill it with premium and throw in a octane booster to be safe for first drive.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have the 100,000 toyota warranty as added protection just want to have all my bases covered. They are giving me 10% off labor and parts if I buy and install from them too.

I figured each fill up is only an extra $3.00 and if Im not on it I should get better gas mileage because the motor will run more easier? Well thats what I told the girlfriend.LOL What kind of traveling mileage at say 75 are you guys with SC getting. I have 3.5 lift and 285-55-20 dune grappler tires and currently get around 20 when traveling. I chose this set up because Im in the sand more than anything and still want performance on the street to dust someone if needed:)

Thanks
________
Depakote lawsuit information

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine was done at a dealership by some guys that I don't believe had ever done it and it worked out pretty well. It sounds like lots of guys around here install them on their own, in their garages, so the mechanics there should be able to figure it out.

My highway gas mileage improved slightly after my supercharger was installed. You'll also find that when you are going uphill or through the mountains that your truck's power doesn't really diminish while everyone else around you is saying, "I think I can I think I can...."

·
Registered
460 Posts
My stock rig climbs hills just fine... for 5k it'd have to do it for me while I slept in the back!

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
You are paying $5k + labor for the SC? Even if it is $5k all together thats still not that good of a deal.

I would have suggested looking at some of the forum vendors pricing on the SC. I think there are several on here that sell theirs for less than $3900. With shipping and labor you'd still save close to $500 - $1000.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
You are paying $5k + labor for the SC? Even if it is $5k all together thats still not that good of a deal.

I would have suggested looking at some of the forum vendors pricing on the SC. I think there are several on here that sell theirs for less than $3900. With shipping and labor you'd still save close to $500 - $1000.
Yup! What he said^^^

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
No I'm paying MSRP minus 10% and 10% off labor.

I rarely take my FJ 4x4ing off road ( maybe three times a year) other than driving on the beach in the sand with my jet ski trailer its more of a daily driver that keeps me safe in the deep snow. I want a little more power so I can pass or even race the car next to me without "I wish i could" power the current FJ has on the road.

Money is relative to the individual and a horrible example/reason of why or why not to buy something.

Mine is going to be $4660 installed
________
Agnelle

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
For comparison, I got my SC/kit for $3200 + $900 dealer install. It took them 2 full days to do the install. The dealer had done Tacoma's, but no FJ's. I thought they did a good job with the install.

My FJ is a daily driver. It's nice to have the extra power for merging into traffic and when you just want to play around a bit. The SC is an expensive upgrade, but darn fun. :)

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Bought it from a forum member here who won it at the Summit. He had a 2010 FJ so couldn't use it.

There was one a few months earlier before I got mine for $3000 that I passed on, but same kind of deal. Guy won it at the Summit and decided to sell it. It's the cheapest way to get a SC... unless you are one of the lucky ones that wins one!

Thats a smoking deal so Im paying $560 more than you. Where did you get the SC and kit for $3200?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got a pretty decent deal on mine (around $3700 + $500 on labor). In retrospect it may not have been worth that cost and the frequent serpentine belt changes I will be facing, though I do enjoy the benefits of it.

When I mentioned hills and high altitudes earlier I wasn't trying to troll the place. I had always read that engines with forced induction suffer less in thinner air. On the morning that my install was finished I left on a road trip to Yellowstone. I understand that a normally-aspirated FJ can handle hills just fine; though that trip really made me appreciate the supercharger. Right before I got in to Yellowstone my GPS reported an altitude of just over 8,000 feet and I was passing almost everything on the road at the speed limit in cruise control.

No, it wasn't a scientific test and maybe only 1% of the other vehicles on the road were FJs, but I was pleased with how my truck performed up there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts