Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i ordered TG sliders today (btw, they don't offer free shipping anymore) and budbuilt skids. both are to arrive on thurs and fri and I want to go off roading this weekend, therefor i'd like to get all my painting materials before they actually arrive. i read some stories about paint not sticking etc, so can someone confirm if i have this right....

paint thinner, acetone, or engine degreaser to clean
sand paper (what grit should i get?)
clean w/ paint thinner again
primer (what kind should i get? do i even need primer? where do i buy it? pepboys, home depot etc)
paint (was thinking rustoleom w/ texture) how many coats should i do?
i know i'm going to paint the sliders black, but should i paint the skids some color other than black?
when installing the sliders and skids, should i put grease on the screws so they don't rust or is that overkill?

thanks for all that reply!

·
Registered
981 Posts
when i painted mine, I wiped them down with mineral spirits, then primed them with "self-etching" primer. I followed that up with a few coats of rustoleum semi-flat black paint. seemed to hold up well, although ive resprayed them a few times from use (if you actually use the sliders/skids, youll need to touch up often) My sliders came powder coated, so i just touch those up with a brush on rustoleum black.

most of the bolts wont rust up, but make sure you put some anti seize on the 4 longer allen bolts that attach to the center crossmember. they are the only ones that give me problems when i remove them

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
you can line-x them you know... some have and it looks sweet.:banana_hitit:

·
Registered
624 Posts
I line-x'd mine...looks good and my guy will touch it up for free so I don't have to worry about it on the trails if it peels. I'd suggest line-x if you have a reputable dealer in your area, otherwise stick with the rustoleum so you have easy touch ups.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I went the high dollar route on my front skid and went to a auto paint dealer and got everything there. Thinner, primer and paint. Had the paint mixed to match the Sun Fusion color and added some gloss hardener to have it end up shinier to match the FJ. Over $100 later and it looked great. Of course now it's usually dirty or muddy so no one notices. :boohoo:

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
If you're actually going to use them....don't go to all that trouble. Clean the oil off with acetone, or brake cleaner, then wipe down with alcohol.

If you're worried about rust, self-etching primer is a good first coat....spend the money here to get one specifically for raw, uncoated steel.

Then, buy the 97 cent a can rattle can from Wally World. Paint it whatever color you want.....but just buy plenty of paint b/c you are going to constantly be repainting them. They are called sliders and skids for a reason and I don't care how much money you spend on paint, powdercoat or line-x....it all comes off when you rub it against a rock. Might as well save your money for real upgrades than for paint, IMO.

Sean

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Good luck with the painting. You might want to consider as an option the line-x route. I had my AP sliders done and they have held up very well.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I prep wiped mine and hit the sliders with multiple coats of Dupli-Color truck bed coating. Like the stuff in the paint can but in spray form. If it peels or gets scraped it is a quick shot to remedy and it is pretty damn non slip to boot. It looks a lot like Line X, not as thick but if you do a lot of far away coats it builds up better. As far as sanding I scrape rust/old paint with a sanding block at 100 grit (very coarse). I am happy with the look and results. If I had it to do over I would have roughed it up before paint with the coarse sand paper block before the first coat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts