Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and I are goingt to the Oregon Coast for the 4th of July.

Any Recommendations?

·
Registered
144 Posts
My wife and I are goingt to the Oregon Coast for the 4th of July.

Any Recommendations?
When we lived in Seattle and Portland, the wife and I would take the kids to Seaside. We would actually rent a house in Gearhart which was nice and quiet and just a few minutes north of Seaside. The dunes are down south-Florence area. Newport is great. Basically, the Oregon coast rocks! If you golf, head to Bandon. I'm jealous. I miss the coast.:mecry:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I second the visit to Seaside and then up a bit further into Astoria. Both are beautiful cities with a lot of neat things to see and do. The wife and I didn't want to leave the last time we were there :D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tillamook County has Manzanita, Nehalem & Tillamook where Tillamook cheese is made. Seaside & Cannon beach (that is where we took this pic) are more tourist spots.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My wife and I stayed in Netarts on the northern coast, we stayed in a house on the beach, Happy Camp Hideaway was the name of the beach area and its only about 20-30min from the Sand Dune Recreational Area.:cheers:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just north of Tillamook is Barview Jetty, over 200 campsites, fishing and beaches, small sandune for kids to climb (look for the ropeswing on the backside). We camp there 3-4 times a summer.

Southern Coast, check out the Oregon Dunes just north? of Florence. Never been there, but they say it's a thousand times bigger than Sandlake!

Have a good time!-Bill

·
Registered
191 Posts
Make sure to get your permit for any dune wheeling along the coast. $10 permit beats a $100 + ticket. Then you have to have a flag pole and a fire extinguisher. The OHV shop in Florence did alright by me about this time last year. The pic in my avatar was taken at the dunes in Florence. Nice little town too.

Even though it's touristy, stop for ice cream at the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Totally worth it. Also recommend a stop in Lincoln City. Nice, quiet. Plenty of motels if you're not into camping. And a little McMenamins brew pub as well. It's called something else, but it's a McMenamins.

Of course, if you stop at Cannon Beach you have to get a photo of Haystack Rock, just like everyone else. You just can't help it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ditto on the Tillamook stop. Wife and I spent a week last year traveling Oregon. The area around Cape Meares was one of our favorite spots.

If you have the time stop in Tillamook on Saturday for the local farmer's market in the center of town. July is a good month for some of the best marion berries and blue berries.

Also, right across the road from the cheese factory is a fish market. Stop in for their grilled crab and cheese sandwich.:)

Skip the Seaside and Cannon beach areas unless you like mobs of people.

If you get to Newport make sure that you get some fish and chips at the roadside place SEAFOOD, FRESH SEAFOOD, SEAFOOD MARKET, CRAB, SALMON, TUNA, OYSTERS, GIFTS . It is on the right just after crossing the Newport bridge heading south.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, everybody.

The suggestions really help!

:cheers:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Are you going North Coast, Central, or Southern Coast or the whole Coast? Northern Coast has been covered very well. There is Lincoln City, & Newport in the Central Coast, Winchester Bay, Coos Bay, & Florence & Bandon further south. I see you have a 2WD, you can drive on the beech without a permit in Warrenton (North of Seaside) Pacific City-Cape Kiwanda, Lincoln City-all without a an off-road permit. I wouls suggest bringing something to air-up tires, you will want to air down for the sand.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Not to discourage you, but on the 4th of July? PCH 101 will be like a LA Freeway during rush hour...all day and night long. I read an article last year that it was rated the most congested highway in America on that holiday. I stay well away from the coast on Memorial Day, the 4th of July and Labor Day :)

Also, the 'haystack" rock at Cannon Beach is one of many "haystack" rocks on the Oregon coast. The largest is actually just offshore of Pacific City...

Tillamook is a nice place to pass through, but isn't a destination (other than the cheese factory & markets, which are a great stop). When the wind is just right, you will love the by-products of the cheese production process :)

But I am dwelling on some of the negatives here. The Oregon coast is beautiful and has many, many wonderful places to visit and spend some time at. You just might want to rethink when to do it. If you don't have reservations at this point, you may find it very difficult to get them for this year.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Off season traveling is probably best along the coast. Took me 3 days to motor down the whole highway last year, and I imagine that would not be an easy drive during the summer. It's a memorable trip though. Wish I had more time for it.

I think you'll have a great experience no matter what you do. Not being in a hurry might be the best travel tip I can offer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not to discourage you, but on the 4th of July? PCH 101 will be like a LA Freeway during rush hour...all day and night long. I read an article last year that it was rated the most congested highway in America on that holiday. I stay well away from the coast on Memorial Day, the 4th of July and Labor Day :)

Also, the 'haystack" rock at Cannon Beach is one of many "haystack" rocks on the Oregon coast. The largest is actually just offshore of Pacific City...

Tillamook is a nice place to pass through, but isn't a destination (other than the cheese factory & markets, which are a great stop). When the wind is just right, you will love the by-products of the cheese production process :)

But I am dwelling on some of the negatives here. The Oregon coast is beautiful and has many, many wonderful places to visit and spend some time at. You just might want to rethink when to do it. If you don't have reservations at this point, you may find it very difficult to get them for this year.

We already have reservations.

I know, I'd rather go in October, but our schedule only allows us to travel on the 4th of July.

We're expecting crowds.

I've been to Yellowstone on the 4th of July. Couldn't be worse than that.

Could it?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
We'll be hauling our tent trailer to the coast for the 4th. Nehalem Bay, I think. I guess they have a great fireworks display right on the beach. The kind where you're not sure whether or not you may catch on fire! :) I've never been, but my GF says its cool. Not looking forward to the crowds, but what can you do?

·
Registered
816 Posts
We already have reservations.

I know, I'd rather go in October, but our schedule only allows us to travel on the 4th of July.

We're expecting crowds.

I've been to Yellowstone on the 4th of July. Couldn't be worse than that.

Could it?
I guess you'll find out :) This could be the year that everyone is fed up with traffic and stays home (well except for Bored Clerks :)

Combined with high fule costs, it may not be so bad this year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts